JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is wrong on so many levels.

<broken link removed>

UPDATED at 5:30 p.m. to indicate the 1-year-old gave the gun to the 4-year-old.

FAIRBANKS — A revolver went off in the hands of a 4-year-old boy who was playing with it Sunday in a South Fairbanks pawn shop, according to Fairbanks police.

The bullet went into the ceiling and no one was hurt, but police are forwarding a misdemeanor reckless endangerment charge against pawn shop employee Jaclyn Johnson, 24, to the district attorney's office.

Fairbanks police received a call at 1:21 p.m. from Alaska Fast Cash on the Old Richardson Highway for a report that a boy had fired a Smith & Wesson .38 Special, said Sgt. Bruce Barnett, who did not personally respond to the call but reviewed the report and spoke with an officer who did.

Police responded and spoke with the father of the boy, who said he was at the store talking to an employee when saw his son playing with Johnson’s 1-year-old son.

It was the younger boy who was first in possession of the gun, Barnett said. He then passed it to the 4-year-old.

The boy’s father told police he then heard a loud bang and saw his son was holding a silver gun.

The gun was Johnson’s personal weapon, Barnett said.

Dumb luck. Dumb letting a 1-year-old play with a loaded gun (by accident I'm sure). Luck played a big part in nobody getting killed.

i wonder how a boy that is only 1 can hold, let alone pick up, a revolver? then the last one is, how can the four year old learn or know how to pull the trigger?somethin fisshy around here. i think the adults had a miss fire and blamed it on the kids. give me a break. a third note, sorry, how would the kids get the employees "personal weapon"? wouldn't you be carrying it at all times? now it really smells!

The father will be crucified by the DA. He is lucky it is only a misdemeanor.

He should be ashamed of his carelessness and stupidity. Every time a moron lets something like this happen it makes every responsible gun handler/owner look bad.

Hopefully the pawn shop owner has already fired this imbecile.

i wonder how a boy that is only 1 can hold, let alone pick up, a revolver? then the last one is, how can the four year old learn or know how to pull the trigger?somethin fisshy around here. i think the adults had a miss fire and blamed it on the kids. give me a break.

I thought the same. This one doesn't pass the smell test.

He should be ashamed of his carelessness and stupidity. Every time a moron lets something like this happen it makes every responsible gun handler/owner look bad.

Hopefully the pawn shop owner has already fired this imbecile.

I don't see how the father did anything wrong. All he did was take his kid to the pawn shop and let his kid play with the kid that was there.
And he didn't get the misdemeanor charge. The lady with the gun did.

This might smell bad but I can see it...lightweight, shiney J frame in a purse on the floor. Easy access for a kid, even a 1 year old. 4 year old watches a lot ot TV, easy to figure out how to pull a trigger. At fours years my sons knew what a gun was and we were well into the process of gunproofing them. Just too many bad gun handling and parenting examples in this story and some very fortunate people.

If this was a ND and they blamed it on the kids you can add poor character to bad gun handling and parenting.

your point is valid, you are educating your kids with firearms, i commend you for that. but what i was gettin too, was that it was not secure and easily accessible to the kids!! shiny light are not exceptable EXCUSES, but at four, could you pull a trigger? i think not. this is not for an arguement sake, just an opinion.

Did he give the pistol to the older kid after he missed?

GCRSH4Z3.jpg

your point is valid, you are educating your kids with firearms, i commend you for that. but what i was gettin too, was that it was not secure and easily accessible to the kids!! shiny light are not exceptable EXCUSES, but at four, could you pull a trigger? i think not. this is not for an arguement sake, just an opinion.

Understood your point about the gun being too accessable and I totally agree. Don't know how many little kids you hang out with but I have 3 and 4 year old grand daughters that could pull the trigger today. My sons certainly could have at 4 years and did as part of our training for them.

I even know a few 4 year olds that are big enough and smart enough to figure out how to rack the slide on a full sized 1911 if I let them near one. I really wasn't trying to argue but rather to indicate that you shouldn't under estimate what a 4 year old can do, especially if it is one that is big for their age.

Actually, under estimating her 1 year old is probably one of the primary mistakes the clerk made.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top