JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the cost of a conversion you can buy a nice used 22 pistol. I like Ruger Super Single Six for kids. Semi autos don't teach a kid accuracy like a revolver does. If the kid is small then a Bearcat Ruger would be just the ticket. Revolvers teach a kid manual dexderity, accuracy and patience. Less likely to spray and pray.

I like the glocks in 9MM because if it's your first then it's cheaper to shoot and learn to be good. 9mm is about $11 a box and 40 is $16. You will master the gun quicker when you shoot more.

jj

Check out http://www.summitgunbroker.com/ they have great prices on glocks I have seen.

You could pick up 2 glocks and a .22 conversion kit for probaby less then what you are looking to spend.

Pick up whatever glock you wanted as a carry/hd gun, and then him a glock as well.

If not there are plenty of other great prices on guns there. I would suggest the 2 glocks and a 22 conversion though myself. I absolutely love my G23.

Wow. So many things to think about. We actually did start with a rifle. We have a Savage .22 LR. I have also thought about 2 glocks with a .22 conversion. I'm concerned about the grip size for him though. (He would LOVE a Glock, just like dad...)

I think what it comes down to is what he likes and will be happy shooting. We are just getting started and there will be many more guns in the future.:D

Wow. So many things to think about. We actually did start with a rifle. We have a Savage .22 LR. I have also thought about 2 glocks with a .22 conversion. I'm concerned about the grip size for him though. (He would LOVE a Glock, just like dad...)

I think what it comes down to is what he likes and will be happy shooting. We are just getting started and there will be many more guns in the future.:D

What you could do is get a Glock 19 and a glock 17. Give him the glock 17 and get a .22 conversion kit. It will work with both glocks. He can have a full size grip 17 and you can get the 19 and carry it as well.

He shouldnt have a issue shooting the 17 w/ a conversion kit, and it can allow him to grow into it as he gets older. I've got pretty small hands myself and I had a little trouble at first shooting my 23 right but after you get the angle down and line everything up properly it's perfectly fine. I think if you start out with good form and grip he would be ok. especially shooting a .22 out of the 17

What you could do is get a Glock 19 and a glock 17. Give him the glock 17 and get a .22 conversion kit. It will work with both glocks. He can have a full size grip 17 and you can get the 19 and carry it as well.

He shouldnt have a issue shooting the 17 w/ a conversion kit, and it can allow him to grow into it as he gets older. I've got pretty small hands myself and I had a little trouble at first shooting my 23 right but after you get the angle down and line everything up properly it's perfectly fine. I think if you start out with good form and grip he would be ok. especially shooting a .22 out of the 17

I'm really liking the idea of getting a Glock 17 and a Glock 22 with a .22 conversion kit, which according to Advantage Arms will work on both guns. Then I get my .40 S&W and a 9mm and both can be a .22. I will just need to get a G17 in my son's hands to see if it fits him OK. He does have a G17 airsoft gun that is supposed to be a 1:1 replica that fits him OK.

You could also look at the G19 9mm and the G23 .40 SW. I don't think the grips are smaller around, but both the barrel and grip are a bit shorter. They aren't "compact," that would be the 26 and 27. Might be a real nice compromise for both of you. Personally I chose the G23 and I have really big hands, FWIW.

I'm just suggesting that you compare them if you haven't.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews