JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am very close to making my decision, but I wanted some input from others who have been where I am at. I am just getting into shooting with my 10 year old son. He is EXTREMELY excited about the whole thing. He LOVES FBI, NCIS, CIA, etc. He has had air soft guns and regular BB/pellet guns for several years and they are the one thing he never seems to tire of. We started with a Savage .22 lr last spring and have had some great times shooting together. Problem is, only one of us can shoot at a time. (which was a good thing as I was teaching him safety and proper shooting etiquette) We are now ready to move up to pistols. One for each of us. The Walther P22 is a good fit for his hands and the looks of it appeal to him. I have always loved Glocks and am sweet on the G22c.

We will be doing mostly target shooting, but I will be applying for my WA CPL and plan to have the gun available for home defense.

My question to everyone who wishes to chime in.....given my circumstances, do you believe that there is a different combination of pistols that would be better, and still within my $1,200 budget?

Thanks!

Ty

I can speak for the P22. It's a fantastic pistol and if it fits his hands, all the better. It can be a little finicky with cheap ammo, from what I've heard. I usually only shoot CCI, so it's never been a problem.

Can't help you with the Glock - just not my cup of tea. Good luck and kudos for teaching your son!

I would avoid the G22c for a home defense firearm. The compensated barrel will flashblind you if you fire it in low light conditions. If you want a full size 40 S&W, I would go with the G22.

Glocks are great guns and I think they would make a good choice.

Ditto on the P22.. Love mine..and everyone in the family loves to shoot it..grandaughters included.. As for the 22C..I'm a Glock fan.. Not sure why the "C" version.. I tend to avoid them..due to their impracticality in low light scenarios.. Otherwise..the 22 is an excellent choice..

you might look into a ruger Mk. II/III. They can usually be had for cheap and they basically last forever. Plus, you'll probably have enough left over to move up to an HK or a SIG.

Yes the Rugers are nice. I think almost everone has shot one at least once in there life. I bought one specificly for my son to learn on. And as for a .40 well there are many to choose from. I am not into the glocks so can not comment on the G22. I also live in Vancouver and if you want to check out the Rugers I have a couple and also have the Walther P22. And as for .40s I have a few of those also:D

I'm so prejudiced toward the Ruger Mark I and II that you'll have to make the call on that one.

+1 on the c model Glock flash. I'd spend my money on night sights.

You sure have enough room in your budget for whatever you want to do. I like Silver Fox's 22 conversion suggestion for your Glock for you. I think you can buy all of it.

Kudos for working with your son. I started my son at 7, and he still loves to shoot.

P22 gets my vote. I have had one for a couple years now and it's a fun plinker. Minimal recoil and easy loading magazines make it ideal for a 10 year old. My home defense pistol and carry gun is a Glock 33. that I have ordered a 9mm barrel and mag for to make it easier and cheaper to get ammo to practice with. Take a look at the glock 19 or the 26 with a pinkie extension. either of those and the P22 will set you back about $850 with lots of ammo money left over:s0155:

Everyone should own a Ruger Mk I/II or III. I will never sell mine.
His hands are probably too small for the 22/45 grip, in case you decide to look at those.

Sig Mosquito could be a nice alternative to the P22 - Full size features to get him used to SA/DA handguns.

In your shoes I would get a Ruger .22 Mk II/III for my son and a Glock 22 for myself. Additionaly I would spring for and Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for the Glock so your son can shoot that and you have the added advantage of cheap practice ammo. In this case you sort of get 3 guns for your money.

Good luck and have some fun.

Good advice from Coctailer; if your son is going to be the primary user of the firearm in question, allow him to select the one that best fits his hand and eye. That having been said, I'd be sure to let him look at the Ruger Bearcat. I learned to shoot with that little guy, I still own that little guy (and three others), and that little guy is still one of my all-time favorite range guns. Personally, I'd steer clear of the P22 or anything with a slide made of zinc/pot metal.

I would let your son pick the gun that HE likes.

Absolutely! We have a rule at our house. If you don't absolutely LOVE it, don't buy it. He has handled the Ruger Mark series, but they just don't do it for him, though it would have been my first choice if I were going to be the primary user of it.

Lots of great comments, and I appreciate them all. I am still leaning towards the P22 for the boy and have changed my thoughts on mine to the G22 with night sights. Still thinking about a conversion kit for the Glock.

Anyone have any thoughts about the CZ Kadet over the P22?

From what I here they are light years better than the P22, but quite a bit bigger, might not fit his hand. Ultimately, it probably comes down to what he would actually use (the one HE likes best) that will be the best one to choose. He probably prefers the P22 because it is very "air soft" like. I haven't used the P22 but from what I've heard it is pretty close to the Sig Mosquito in accuracy and function. I bought a Mosquito based on that it looked and felt more like a centerfire pistol than the Mark series or the Browning Buckmark (both of which I've only had good experiences with) what a mistake. So I sold the Mosquito at a big loss (to someone that knew of the problems) I now I'm looking for a Buckmark or a Mark I,II,III.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top