JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't recommend japanese swords unless you know what you are doing.

I only know enough to know that I don't know what Im doing with a sword like that..

Get a machete or a european sword.. They make better use of strength where a japanese sword is more precision and technique if you want to be effective.

I wouldn't recommend japanese swords unless you know what you are doing.

I only know enough to know that I don't know what Im doing with a sword like that..

Get a machete or a european sword.. They make better use of strength where a japanese sword is more precision and technique if you want to be effective.

I agree. As a semi-schooled practitioner of the Katana and the German Longsword, the katana is (IMO) an inferior weapon. Both weigh about the same, but the European sword has two sharpened edges, not one. It is also better suited for stabbing and crushing, as well as slicing.

Considering the firearm made the use of swords in Europe and Japan obsolete in warfare, I personally wouldn't even seriously consider getting one solely for use in a SHTF situation. My interest is historical only.

Keith

I agree. As a semi-schooled practitioner of the Katana and the German Longsword, the katana is (IMO) an inferior weapon. Both weigh about the same, but the European sword has two sharpened edges, not one. It is also better suited for stabbing and crushing, as well as slicing.

Considering the firearm made the use of swords in Europe and Japan obsolete in warfare, I personally wouldn't even seriously consider getting one solely for use in a SHTF situation. My interest is historical only.

Keith

Can't agree more.. The value of a Katana is lost IMO if you aren't very well trained. It's the difference between a surgeon and a butcher here. I like my Katana that I have... But I wouldn't depend on it unless I was facing opponents with knives and I had no ammunition. In other words.. it's really unlikely. I could see the use of it in home defense.. because it's quicker to grab my sword or knife than it is to grab my gun and load it. But thats about it..

Most of us could make better use of a larger heavier sword.. I've studied a small amount of kendo and still studying Aikido.. I don't have the control to use it well. Most of the guys I see using them on youtube don't seem to have a clue what they are doing.

Just to make it clear, though... Although a European blade is easier for a non-schooled person to use than a Katana, the actual training of the European knights employed as much finesse and technique as their Eastern counterparts' did, both with the sword and hand-to-hand (which is strikingly similar to Ju-Jitsu). The Hollywood 'Excaliber' and dinner theater hack-and-slash style of European combat that most folks are familiar with is a huge misconception.

Edit: Check out US Army and Marine combat techniques vs. those from medieval texts. See what I mean :) ?

Keith

For a good machete/zombie blade.. I'd reccomend one of these

Gil Hibben IV Machete - BUDK

I bought one of these awhile back.. The only problem is; It doesn't come with an edge. So only buy one if you have a coarse diamond stone and a lot of time or a bench grinder, dremel, ect to use on it..

Also the sheath pretty much sucks. If you are good with leather. I'd make one yourself. Or sow on a strap with a snap to secure it. It comes with part of a snap on the sheath, but it doesn't have anything else.

I think these are the same things 1060 Forged Machete - BUDK just a lot cheaper. No certificate or sheath with those though.

This thing could be used to process wood, kill zombies, cut up large pieces of meat..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top