JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been wanting to buy a new rifle this year to use for hunting, fun target shooting, and maybe a "battle rifle".

I want a bolt action, with detachable magazine. Probably won't be shooting any longer than maybe 700-800yds.
A couple rifles I was looking at
Ruger Scout
Remington 700 tactical, adding box mag be over $1k?
Howa pkg
Savage scout
AR10? I'm a big fan of ARs anyway.

What are your opinions.
Keep in mind I want to be able to find and buy several mags without bending over.

Good luck finding an ar ten for close to $1k. Adding a box mag to a rem700 will bring you over that mark as well. I would personally go savage as I have had a great experience with their guns. Maybe a used rem700 that has what you are looking for might be in the $1k range, but it would take a while to find. How about a FAL or a CETME/G3 clone? Sometimes you can find those for around your budget.

Semi-auto and under $1k: DPMS 308 (or similar which uses 308 pmags) or M1 Garand from the CMP (up to special grade) and a Garand Gear ported gas plug (for hunting loads)

Bolt-action and under $1k: I'm not versed enough to formulate an informed opinion.

For the budget, I agree with what others are saying: A Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle would be a good fit. I've seen 'em around town with decent enough regularity, too.

If you want semi-auto, a reliable 308 AR at that price point is going to be rough. Really rough.

Might be able to find an FAL for that price or definitely a CETME (but then you run the risk of Century monkeys).

Need a little more info? What are you hunting?
All around "for me" is 30-06 150gr for deer 180gr for elk size 308 if you like NATO rounds. They are close, 308 however has less recoil, use less powder, is cheaper and easier to find surplus
class 4 body armor can withstand 308, not so with 30-06.
Just got a 30-06 WEATHERBY VANGUARD and I am working on loads for it. Good gun out of box around $500 had to put a detachable mag on it cost $100 from Weatherby
My REMINGTON 700 BDL 30-06 is my normal hunting rifle in the high desert had it for years harvested everything from antelope to black bear with it.
My Model 1903, Springfield '03 in 30-06 is my beater/loner rifle it has taken deer at 500+ yards with no problem
You do not have to spend a lot on a good rifle to reach out to 600 to 700yrds the determining factors are going to be your bullet load and your scope
As for An AR platform I like the 6.5 grindle one of my hunting friends got an antelope at 700yrds with it I was much imprested

Saiga .308. If it is Converted with a pistol grip. It would fit your criteria. I have a nice one all in and wood. My question is with it now. Is should I converted. It has a classic look about it right now. Would it be worth more converted? I already have an SKS bull pup convert. And for the practical shoot Competition, my eyesight, and hunting I do. It works great.

My do everything from hunting to bugging out is a Browning A Bolt in 338 win mag I figure if I need a military rifle/caliber, I can "harvest" all I need from a far with that. It does nave a detachable mag as well.

You can't go wrong with Howa .30-06. They are tops in accuracy and it's the same action and barrel as the Weatherby Vanguard for less money. Battle rifle? M1 Garand hands down.

For under $500 you can have a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 or .338 Win. Mag. The Ruger Gunsite Scout is wonderful. An M1 Garand is a fine option. The Remington semi-auto or pumps are fine, but I personally prefer a bolt gun. The Remington 660 is one of my favorite guns ever made. My personal favorite is a .308 with a 4x Weaver scope.

As far as some of the OP's suggestion's, the Howa packages are some of the most underrated in the business. Along those lines I would also look at the Savage/Nikon packages. They can be had in many calibers for $500+,-, are bore-sighted and represent an incredible value. You mention converting a 700 to a detachable box magazine. I would strongly suggest looking at the Savage DBM(Detachable Box Magazine). It again can be had in many calibers for a much lower price(and in my opinion, a much higher quality rifle) than the 700. I am bias toward Savage on quality, price and their endless options.

If you are uncertain about the caliber, it is hard to beat .308 or .30-06 as an all around cartridge. I am very fond of the 7mm-08. I believe it to be superior to the .308, but that is arguable. Everybody has an opinion. That is mine. Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top