JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am curious if anyone has had experience with these devices. I am looking at the Yeti 1400:

61isa6SwXyL._SX355_.jpg

And <broken link removed> :

yeti3000-630.jpg

A member of our household is Type One Diabetic (insulin-dependent). We have close to a year's worth of said insulin, and related supplies, on hand. It has to be, of course, refrigerated to be useful. For a short term outages or a limited disaster, this is no concern as we have backup power in the form of a whole house generator fed by 500-gallon propane tank and a gasoline-powered portable generator as a backup.

However, in a longer term situation in which fossil fuels are not available, this is a problem. So I am thinking of solar panel(s) powering something like this and a small, very energy-efficient SunDanzer medical refrigerator attached to said.

Anyway, I'm just curious anyone has had experience with these devices and can provide feedback. Thank you.

Last Edited:
I was looking at the one Costco carries. Almost a grand. Only problem I can see with them is the circuitry is susceptible to an EMP or if dropped or kicked it may be damaged. You could apply that to most any thing these days though really. I'll wait for the price to come down a bit on the Yeti. I'll probably get one in the next several months, depending what else hits the market in the same category. Last year I bought the Diehard Platinum power station. It does everything it claims. Won't run a refrigerator though, lol. But that's why I was looking at the Yeti. The Diehard is a nice little work horse.
DieHard Platinum Portable Power 1150

IMG_20180214_195421.png

I was looking at the one Costco carries. Almost a grand. Only problem I can see with them is the circuitry is susceptible to an EMP or if dropped or kicked it may be damaged. You could apply that to most any thing these days though really. I'll wait for the price to come down a bit on the Yeti. I'll probably get one in the next several months, depending what else hits the market in the same category. Last year I bought the Diehard Platinum power station. It does everything it claims. Won't run a refrigerator though, lol. But that's why I was looking at the Yeti. The Diehard is a nice little work horse.
DieHard Platinum Portable Power 1150

View attachment 431048

Interesting. Thanks for the link. :)

I'm too embarrassed to admit what I thought this thread was actually about.

Inquiring minds want to know. :p

I was looking at the Goal Zero brand, but the reviews seemed very mixed on product quality. I'm still looking for a combined solar/battery solution.
I skipped right past the Goal Zero stuff for the same reason. Plus, they're on the pricey side. At this point in time I would look at a separate solar solution. Yeti is quite the power house though. Another option to consider would be Tesla's power wall. Hardly mobile though, lol. You'll also need around six grand. That would buy a lot of Yeti's.
Tesla Powerwall

Perhaps an AC/DC/Propane fridge would be something to consider. You could use AC when the mains have power, switch to DC when you have charged batteries and save the 10% loss or so you would get having an inverter convert DC to AC, and if all else fails, tap into your 500 gallons of propane.

It might not be cheaper than the Yeti when all is said and done, but it gives you more cooling options. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Refr...431670&sr=8-2&keywords=propane+camping+fridge

Perhaps an AC/DC/Propane fridge would be something to consider. You could use AC when the mains have power, switch to DC when you have charged batteries and save the 10% loss or so you would get having an inverter convert DC to AC, and if all else fails, tap into your 500 gallons of propane.

It might not be cheaper than the Yeti when all is said and done, but it gives you more cooling options. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Refr...431670&sr=8-2&keywords=propane+camping+fridge
yeabut that's still fossil fuel dependent

I've been in caves during the summer that were 45 Degrees, just below the recommended max storage temperature for insulin of 46 Degrees I am told. Also, there are lava caves that used to store Ice for the affluents in Bend Oregon then buried in sawdust, delivered by mule wagon throughout the summer, back before refrigerators.
Working with that:
Possibly, a 4 or six inch lined well sunk deep enough to achieve 45 Degrees?
Your insulin could be suspended from a SS cable and a hand crank.
Even better if it also provided water.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads