JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I had the money, I'd drop the 315 DOHC engine in the Lincoln, the "Hot Rod Lincoln" would ride again, wouldn't it? ;)
What I appreciate about the Town Car is the smooth ride, the "funeral home" quiet, and the excellent fuel mileage that Ford/Lincoln engineered into it. This will likely be the finest Ford product I will ever own.

Im too busy doing LS swaps, sorry.
Pardon the interruption, gents.
Just wondering if you've ever done an LS swap into a Jeep XJ (4.0)?
I reckon a junked pickup could net me motor, trans, ECU, and a full-width rear axle... l mostly get hung up on mating the transfer case to the GM trans. I dont think the stock trans would hold up, even if l could mate it...

Nevermind... stroker 4.0 it is.

I reckon a junked pickup could net me motor, trans, ECU, and a full-width rear axle... l mostly get hung up on mating the transfer case to the GM trans. I dont think the stock trans would hold up, even if l could mate it...

Pick up a WJ with the 4.7 Hemi motor and Quadradrive in it. It's pretty darn good stock and a great start if you want to build it up. More room in the back too.

super easy to put a 5.3 in a xj

4.7 is not a hemi
It is in the Overland. But the Lincoln, which is the topic after all, comes with a 4.6 liter 235 horsepower engine, which will in fact do burnouts but the car is not fast. Plenty of power for civilized driving, but since it can't stop or turn worth bubblegum, what's the point in acceleration? :) It's more about the ride, which is like sitting in a bucket of Novocain while angels sing a soothing tune in the background. Proper, civilized transport.

You might be surprised at how quick the 4.6 can be. My Lincoln is rated @ 239 horsepower. Flopsweat is right. This is a civilized car for long-distance driving. 25 miles per gallon can be realized when the car is in tune. If I have plenty of Berryman's B12 Chemtool in the tank, I have seen 28.2 miles per gallon while traveling on Interstate 5 in my 1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX.

I forgot to mention that my 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature has power rack-and-pinion steering. The previous owner put new z-rated Goodyear tires which makes this large car handle rather well for its size.

Don't sell it short.

Last Edited:
It is in the Overland. But the Lincoln, which is the topic after all, comes with a 4.6 liter 235 horsepower engine, which will in fact do burnouts but the car is not fast. Plenty of power for civilized driving, but since it can't stop or turn worth bubblegum, what's the point in acceleration? :) It's more about the ride, which is like sitting in a bucket of Novocain while angels sing a soothing tune in the background. Proper, civilized transport.
the 4.7 isnot a hemi go read some info. its a magnum engine. The third gen hemis started with the 5.7 your 4.7 has a timing belt that likes to die and eat the engine. im out, town cars are nice cruisers.

I picked up an '03 TC Signature about three years ago. It had 90,000 miles on it, and I paid $2,000 for it from the original owner. As much as I loved the car, it turned out to be the most problematic vehicle I had ever owned. Torque convertor shudder was first, though easily remedied. Then I replaced the driver's seat motor (common problem). Various window switches over the course of two years. Replaced the rear suspension airbags. Ended up having to replace both axles, as in '03, Ford had a batch of "soft" axles make it into the 8.8" rear ends. One axle had an .080" deep groove worn into it by the axle bearing. The other side wasn't quite as bad. Also, it had a leak that allowed water into the cabin whenever it rained. I gutted the interior, and traced the leak to a 4" gap of body sealer at the cowl. It was literally a wide-open space for the rainwater to get in. It would enter at the cowl, and travel all the way back to the passenger side rear floor pan. Original owner had struggled with it since new, and the dealer couldn't locate the source of the problem. A bead of silicon, and I was good to go!
At 130,000 miles, the passenger side head gasket developed an oil leak at the area of the High Pressure Oil Feed. It was at that point I decided to sell it to my buddy, for the princely sum of (gulp) $400. I do miss the car, though. I put a set of Mustang GT factory mags on it, and slightly taller/wider tires to soften the ride, somewhat. Excellent road trip car. I think I just got a "Friday night" built car, or something. I hope yours provides you with years of service. I loved mine, in spite of the problems. Linc.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top