JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that the XD-S has been out for a while im looking for input from those that own one. I currently have an XD 40 subcompact, I really enjoy shooting it, but it isn't the best/most comfortable to conceal carry. I am considering switching to the XD-S, at 21 oz vs. 26 oz (XD40) I would think recoil would be a bit of an issue for getting back on target quickly. I am curious to hear some opinions that may sway me either way.

Thanks,
OC

It's not that bad. More kick than a Glock 27 I own, which is similar to your xd40. It tries to jump up more, but after five minutes you forget about it. Next range trip you won't even notice. You sort of learn how best to hold it and then it's okay. If you shoot 200 rounds at one sitting, your forearm will ache a little the next day from squeezing so hard, at least for me. But it was nothing ridiculous. Shooting a Ruger LCR with 158gr 357 is ridiculous. This is nothing like that.

I think the recoil is very manageable. My pinkie has nothing to grip with the standard 5-round magazine, so I use the index finger on my left hand, place it in front of the trigger guard, and use it to enhance my grip.

Peter

I have over 1,100 rounds through mine and do not consider the recoil severe at all. Quite manageable actually and I usually practice with the short 5 round mag in.
I prefer the XDS to the PPS .40 I previously carried.

Here is my review:

Just returned from the range today after putting my new XDs through its paces. I agree with the review, especially the following: "Don't follow in my footsteps in having a preconceived thought about the XD-S without first giving it a try.

I was hitting tight groups on full sized silhouette targets right out of the box.

My experience with the Glock 21 and 36, and the Sig P220, have allowed me the opportunity to fine tune my grip on various 45 ACP pistols. Since I do not have large hands the grip of the XDs was no problem for me. My little finger offered no support with the 5 round magazine and I would like to try the 7 rounder soon. Even without the mag extension I was very pleased with my shot placement and tight group on both center mass and head shots.

Two different JHP rounds were used and no issues at all with the performance. Give this little guy at try if you get a chance.

600 rounds through mine, 0 problems. Bit of a cannon,but that makes it even more fun to shoot.Put on rubber Talon grips and a Pearce pinky extension.Huge difference in grip. It's now my everyday carry, replacing a XD45compact

I'm pretty convinced this is my next gun, I just need to shoot it. I just spoke with a buddy that just got an XDs, he put 200 rounds through it and loves it, his only other experience as an owner is with a full frame Taurus 9mm, his take more punch but less snappy, I don't like snappy.

I realize I may be a little late to this party, but just had to poipe in anyway. I've been a 1911 geek for a long time, but always felt like I had an anchor on my hip when trying to carry concealed. Now that I grabbed up the XDs, I am completely sold. Shoots like a dream(I actually enjoy shooting this more than my 1911), Hides anywhere, Fits in the pocket of my cargo pants. It is the same size as the Berretta Nano, but in .45 caliber. Picked up a couple of 7rnd mags for backup. Now I have the capacity back too. I don't see how anyone could not love this little powerhouse. It is a thing of beauty, a real game changer . Great job Springfield.

Little late here too. But I'll throw in a couple cents. I took my m&p 40c and my recently purchased xds to the range. I only out about 50 through each because the range has a one box limit. :(.
Anyways. I've always shot 9mm before. The 40c felt like it wanted to flip up. Whereas the xds just pushed a little. It felt far more controllable than the 40. The thinness makes it a dream to carry too. I've been carrying in a cargo pocket until my iwb shows up in the mail.

I find the Xds to have less felt recoil then my Glock 27. More push fells better then the lift. You just need to shoot one and find out yourself. It will be similar to your Xd 40 more or less fwiw. The Xds 45 replace my Glock 27 for EDC because it's easier to carry. 1/4" maynot seem like much but it sure feels like it. JME

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews