JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A-mazing video, thanks for sharing @tac !

A Polikarpov! I've never seen one!

Are the P-40B/C and P-38F part of that group of a/c that were recovered (mostly intact) from the glacier?

A-mazing video, thanks for sharing @tac !

A Polikarpov! I've never seen one!

Are the P-40B/C and P-38F part of that group of a/c that were recovered (mostly intact) from the glacier?

You mean 'Glacier Gal'?

Not that I know of. We had THREE P38s here, one of which was crashed at a flying display here a few years back by John Proudfoot. who died in the inferno. We sometimes see the two survivors together, but I don't know their provenance - do you wish for me to find out for you? 'sno trouble.

You mean 'Glacier Gal'?

Not that I know of. We had THREE P38s here, one of which was crashed at a flying display here a few years back by John Proudfoot. who died in the inferno. We sometimes see the two survivors together, but I don't know their provenance - do you wish for me to find out for you? 'sno trouble.
Glacier Girl, but we know what you meant, @tac.

Glacier Girl

Glacier Girl, but we know what you meant, @tac.

Glacier Girl
Very cool story on that plane. Reminds me of this video of some planes still in the arctic. 102D5702-53CA-45BD-8FA1-2028270A78A8.png F18FE61C-A61D-4A8E-983C-FB61CA63C98E.png

There used to be a PBY in a tundra pond on the Alaska Peninsula. The Alaska National Guard was enlisted to recover it with a Chinook helicopter for relocation to the museum at Palmer, AK. When they plucked it out of the pond, they discovered that the lower part of fuselage had filled with mud. Because of the unexpected additional weight, the mission almost failed, but they were able to overcome the weight and suction of the mud bottom and were successful.

I have mixed feelings on this. It is nice that the airplane will be preserved. It is a loss that now people will no longer be able to marvel at the relic in the wilderness. It was a real treat to come upon it sitting out there in the tundra with one wing dipped in the pond and the other extending up toward the heavens.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top