JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alaskans like their STOL mods. Judging from the surface of the water, there was a pretty good wind, but not a howling gale. With all the mods, 15-20 MPH headwind makes for a really short landing.

With enough headwind, a takeoff can be really short. I took off from the runway at Chignik Lake, on the Alaskan Peninsula, in an estimated 45 MPH headwind. I was flying a DC-3, and the takeoff roll was about 50 ft. We hit turbulence about 5 miles from the airport that set off the Emergency Locator Beacon. :eek:

Alaskans like their STOL mods. Judging from the surface of the water, there was a pretty good wind, but not a howling gale. With all the mods, 15-20 MPH headwind makes for a really short landing.

With enough headwind, a takeoff can be really short. I took off from the runway at Chignik Lake, on the Alaskan Peninsula, in an estimated 45 MPH headwind. I was flying a DC-3, and the takeoff roll was about 50 ft. We hit turbulence about 5 miles from the airport that set off the Emergency Locator Beacon. :eek:
I watched a series called Ice Pilots a few years ago. Small passenger and cargo flights around Alaska. I think they had a DC3 in their fleet. Interesting show.

I watched a couple of those shows. They were flying between improved airports in Canada. I flew all over AK, much of the work was off gravel runways, with few paved strips. The shortest strip I worked out of was 18 times the wingspan of the airplane (1,750 feet). Not all of the landings were at airports. My avatar shows the -3 picking up sockeye salmon on the beach at Big Creek, near Pilot Point. You had to get off before the tide came in!

My first ever airplane ride was in an An-2. That thing is unique, including its STOL capabilities . Supposedly engine out at night/IMC procedure is to pull back and hold on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top