JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was an A&P and 50 hour pilot 25 years ago. As an A&P i got a lot of non-PIC time in many different types. I also was very lucky to have flown as a passenger in the Collins Foundation B-17 "909" When it came to McMinnville in 2007. That's the one that tragically crashed taking several lives a few years ago. When you fly in old aircraft with old pilots there are no guarantees. I remember the plane felt very stable and smooth. The "909" pilot did a good job. However it was pilot error that caused the "909" crash when they lost an engine. Losing an engine or two was not uncommon in WWII and pilots regularly landed these crippled aircraft safely. So it's a matter of "you buy your ticket, and you take your chances".

Nine-0-Nine.JPG Up Front.jpg B-17 Cruzzin.jpg

Losing an engine or two was not uncommon in WWII and pilots regularly landed these crippled aircraft safely. So it's a matter of "you buy your ticket, and you take your chances".

I know, I'm the "yea, but" guy.... but, yea : http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/Loss-Figures-Aircraft-USA-Training.shtml

The attrition rate was pretty high. Yes, this is all accidents, not just engine out, but still. Low and slow in a heavy multi piston is bad.

Bally bomber is an impressive project, but i think it's a bad airplane by what I see.

WAW44, that's a great historical view of crash rate per type. I've read a lot of WWII autobiography/ biography books from the air war. It was a very unfriendly place to be. The amount of non-combat crashes was terrible. I personally witnessed three non-fatal pilot error crashes, and was a first responder to two of them. I know about low and slow. (and I like it) Unfortunately, that can bite the best. I used to work on the ramp at the Reno Air Races. It was definitely the place to be. Cheers.

EAAAirVenture2007_WarbirdCrash.jpg

P5200078.JPG P5200058.JPG
A year before my father passed, we visited the touring B-17 Aluminum Overcast (best bomber name ever) at the Hillsboro Airport. As a surprise, he bought tickets to take a flight around the area. Once off the ground, we were able to crawl all through the aircraft, only the tail gunner area was off limits (and the belly turret- darn it, lol). Other than being an enthusiast, I really have nothing to do with aviation, so for me this was an incredible experience and a great memory.

View attachment 845852View attachment 845854
A year before my father passed, we visited the touring B-17 Aluminum Overcast (best bomber name ever) at the Hillsboro Airport. As a surprise, he bought tickets to take a flight around the area. Once off the ground, we were able to crawl all through the aircraft, only the tail gunner area was off limits (and the belly turret- darn it, lol). Other than being an enthusiast, I really have nothing to do with aviation, so for me this was an incredible experience and a great memory.

That must have been INSANLY cool! Was "Dad" USAF?

I'm afraid I'd puke or crap myself if I were to try and take flight on one of those. I'd get jollies a-plenty standing firmly on the ground just hearing them fire up engines, taxi and take off.

I discovered Bush Flying way back before it was cool, and have been hooked ever sense. First, had to have the right airplane, and the first of a couple of Super Cubs became mine. Then I had to have that most important of bush modifications, the Big balloon Bush wheels. Then the other mods came as more pilots discovered that under the Experimental flight rules, we could mod out our planes any way we wanted! These days, I fly a custom built by me Super Cub that isn't really a Super Cub at all, having vitrually nothing Super Cub in it! Custom built Engine, custom designed and built high lift wings with YUGE flaps and fries type alierons, oversize tail feathers, and customer porter type long travel suspension to go with those 35" Alaska Bushweels! After more then 2 years, and more carbon fiber then most super cars, she is done and flying!

I discovered Bush Flying way back before it was cool, and have been hooked ever sense. First, had to have the right airplane, and the first of a couple of Super Cubs became mine. Then I had to have that most important of bush modifications, the Big balloon Bush wheels. Then the other mods came as more pilots discovered that under the Experimental flight rules, we could mod out our planes any way we wanted! These days, I fly a custom built by me Super Cub that isn't really a Super Cub at all, having vitrually nothing Super Cub in it! Custom built Engine, custom designed and built high lift wings with YUGE flaps and fries type alierons, oversize tail feathers, and customer porter type long travel suspension to go with those 35" Alaska Bushweels! After more then 2 years, and more carbon fiber then most super cars, she is done and flying!

Saw a couple TV shows showing those guys getting into back country Alaska and landing on gravel bars. YEEEE HAAAWW!!!!!
Fricken cool!

That must have been INSANLY cool! Was "Dad" USAF?

I'm afraid I'd puke or crap myself if I were to try and take flight on one of those. I'd get jollies a-plenty standing firmly on the ground just hearing them fire up engines, taxi and take off.
Really can't describe how cool it was. Dad was Army, like me, but both of us just enjoyed going to airshows and events like these. When I was younger, we would often go and park at the PDX airport at one of the turn-outs along Marine Dr., grab some popcorn and a coke from the popcorn truck there, and watch planes take-off and land, Dad even had this old "boom box, lol" style multiband radio to listen to the chatter. Simple stuff, but fun. And a great place to take a date when I got bit older...

Back in the early 80s, they would have some old war birds come to McNary field. I remember, he shelled out.. i want to say $25 a person for him and I to go up in the B17. I remember how loud it was and as it was the early 80's no one ever though of ear plugs..

Also remember my grandma talking about a guy she worked with who was a radio man on a B17 during the War.. said once he was done in the army, he never set foot in a airplane again.

Really can't describe how cool it was. Dad was Army, like me, but both of us just enjoyed going to airshows and events like these. When I was younger, we would often go and park at the PDX airport at one of the turn-outs along Marine Dr., grab some popcorn and a coke from the popcorn truck there, and watch planes take-off and land, Dad even had this old "boom box, lol" style multiband radio to listen to the chatter. Simple stuff, but fun. And a great place to take a date when I got bit older...

Best I can describe it, is when I rode in the cab, two times, of a steam locomotive while every one else was stuck in the cars it was pulling behind. Somewhat similar I would guess, but there would have to be a much stronger emotional affect.

Up at PDX... We used to do that too, from time to time. One time we were just driving Marine Drive and looked over and there were a bunch of old planes on display. At the far West end. Didn't cost anything so we went in and looked around. there was a Ford Tri-Motor you could stick your head in the door to see. And an old '60s jet fighter of some kind. Been so long now I don't recall what else. It was FREE!! Good old days man!

My 13th birthday... the guy in the back. We did some aerobatics. Then I rode in Jim's At-6, the one you see in the background. Aerobatics again. I puked on final... But it was fun!

BaldEagle.jpg

Notice my avatar. I was picking up 7,500 lbs. of fish from the beach at Big Creek, Alaska. You had to operate below high tide, since above the high tide mark, the sand was too loose. And you had to leave before the tide came back in all the way. We carried tide tables in our pocket!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top