JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally gave up my stay in Sacramento . I had gone a full three rounds of $1000 per to give up my seat in two days and I let the last offer of $800 go . I could make a nice little side hustle out of this. Anyway I'm headed home now and I did something that makes zero sense but it's part of playing the game . I generally check bags. I check a tool bag and a suitcase . I have been carrying a laptop backpack for my personal and work laptop but I refuse to put it under the seat in front of me. I put it in the overhead. Lately though the stewards have become increasingly obnoxious virtually demanding that I put it under the seat . I refuse and the conversations get a bit hostile . This time around though I've decided to concede . I picked up a carryon hard suitcase that my backpack just fits in . In the suitcase it goes and I don't risk getting thrown off the plane. My wife says I cannot act civilized. She's wrong.

I finally gave up my stay in Sacramento . I had gone a full three rounds of $1000 per to give up my seat in two days and I let the last offer of $800 go . I could make a nice little side hustle out of this. Anyway I'm headed home now and I did something that makes zero sense but it's part of playing the game . I generally check bags. I check a tool bag and a suitcase . I have been carrying a laptop backpack for my personal and work laptop but I refuse to put it under the seat in front of me. I put it in the overhead. Lately though the stewards have become increasingly obnoxious virtually demanding that I put it under the seat . I refuse and the conversations get a bit hostile . This time around though I've decided to concede . I picked up a carryon hard suitcase that my backpack just fits in . In the suitcase it goes and I don't risk getting thrown off the plane. My wife says I cannot act civilized. She's wrong.
So they shrink the seat size in all directions and now they tell you you HAVE to clog up the footwell too. A new way to give their customers leg cramps.
I think they should charge for carry-on suitcases and large backpacks. Free underneath. Takeoffs could be faster, getting off the plane too. Remember when they had those little racks that if your carry-on didn't fit it went underneath.
They're just trying to cram more people in less space and charge more money besides.

I'm with you @wired

So they shrink the seat size in all directions and now they tell you you HAVE to clog up the footwell too. A new way to give their customers leg cramps.
I think they should charge for carry-on suitcases and large backpacks. Free underneath. Takeoffs could be faster, getting off the plane too. Remember when they had those little racks that if your carry-on didn't fit it went underneath.
They're just trying to cram more people in less space and charge more money besides.

I'm with you @wired
Hey I pay the same amount as the people who carrry on 2 huge bags so they don't have to pay to check their bags. Now I'm compliant and doing the exact same thing I was before.

That's my point. People just don't want to wait at baggage claim. They want to carry them on, trhey should be paying more money to do so. Ive seen people with the extra zippered expanding bags cramming them into the uppers! Should never have gotten off the jetway with those.

Was the plane full? If the answer is/was no, then yeah. Screw that. Overhead bin it goes. But if the plane was full and someone else needed space for their suitcase, I can understand the need. I say this because I was on the plane the other day (it was full)- there was one space left in the overhead bin which a guy had used for his backpack- the next person coming on had to check their bags because of it. Regardless, it's annoying as hell. I feel like they are cramming more and more seats on planes every day and that leg room just gets a little bit smaller each time

Was the plane full? If the answer is/was no, then yeah. Screw that. Overhead bin it goes. But if the plane was full and someone else needed space for their suitcase, I can understand the need. I say this because I was on the plane the other day (it was full)- there was one space left in the overhead bin which a guy had used for his backpack- the next person coming on had to check their bags because of it. Regardless, it's annoying as hell. I feel like they are cramming more and more seats on planes every day and that leg room just gets a little bit smaller each time
So the guy with the suitcase paid more so he could use the overhead bin?

And no. The overhead bin was not full. I will say that stewards get a little ruffled when you say no and stick to it and they eventually cave. As I said I know it's going to catch up to me so I am playing their game and taken up even more space the way they want me to.

The real solution is to have an assigned OH bin for each seat, near the seat. If your sh!t doesn't fit it gets pitched out on the tarmac and you can get it the next time you're in town. Stupid phuqers sitting in one section put their sh!t in a bin in another section and then have to fight their way to it before they get off the plane. Drives me nuts!!

Our paratroopers have more luxury apparently Spencerjumpaircraftinside.jpg

But really though.. the design is the problem main-qimg-5a290bd35a5da39ec8a7a61cff25c4d7-pjlq.jpeg
Typical Boeing 737 cross section. Look at how tiny the overhead spaces are, above the seats. IMO, the overhead bins should be at least as wide as the 3 seats per side..even if it means a bigger plane with a larger diameter.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 3.42.52 PM.png
Compare to the passenger deck of the average Boeing 757 with 2 seats per side per row.. the overhead bin is about the same size as that of the 737, yet there's a lot more space per bin because it is that much fewer people (2 less people per full row) Edit, its actually the 757 that had this deck plan.. but.. 707, 737, 757, all had the same interior trim-to-trim width of 139.3 inches

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 3.40.15 PM.png
707 cross section.

Basically... cram 2 more people per row but keep same overhead bin sizes.

Last Edited:
Don't even get me started on that nonsense. :rolleyes:

I usually carry a laptop backpack also when I travel. And there ain't no way in hell I'm putting it at my feet. I am 6' 4", 200 lbs. If you want me to put anything at my feet, then give the seats a reasonable amount of room for normal humans instead of the postage stamp space they currently are.

Bin space is first come, first served. I have as much right to it as anyone. And I have yet to see ANY flight attendant enforcing the carry on size restrictions and there's always a good number of people on every flight ignoring that requirement. Go check their bags before you're starting hassling me about my backpack.

Don't even get me started on that nonsense. :rolleyes:

I usually carry a laptop backpack also when I travel. And there ain't no way in hell I'm putting it at my feet. I am 6' 4", 200 lbs. If you want me to put anything at my feet, then give the seats a reasonable amount of room for normal humans instead of the postage stamp space they currently are.

Bin space is first come, first served. I have as much right to it as anyone. And I have yet to see ANY flight attendant enforcing the carry on size restrictions and there's always a good number of people on every flight ignoring that requirement. Go check their bags before you're starting hassling me about my backpack.
Let's take Boeing 707-737 vs 757

139.3 inches-140 inches inside width trim to trim;

First class seats for 707-737, 4 abreast, 38" each..

6 abreast, 34" width for most versions, some have 32" width..

757 first class , 4 abreast, 36-37" width per seat, standard class, 6 abreast, 31" width :eek: and let's not get into them reducing the legroom every so often:mad:

Edit. "Width" as in center to center spacing :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews