JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One other reason to NOT just try again, is that in WA all denials must be reported to law enforcement. If you start racking up denials, you probably get yourself a visit from the police, maybe arrested, and even if not, you'll likely have to answer friendly questions from the officer like "If you are being denied by NICS, why should I not confiscate all your guns now while you work this out?"

RCW 9.41.114: Firearm sales or transfers—Denial of application report—Dealer's duties.
(1) A dealer shall report to the Washington association of sheriffs and police chiefs information on each instance where the dealer denies an application for the purchase or transfer of a firearm, whether under RCW 9.41.090 or 9.41.113, or the requirements of federal law, as the result of a background check or completed and submitted firearm purchase or transfer application that indicates the applicant is ineligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law. The dealer shall report the denied application information to the Washington association of sheriffs and police chiefs within five days of the denial in a format as prescribed by the Washington association of sheriffs and police chiefs. The reported information must include the identifying information of the applicant, the date of the application and denial of the application, and other information or documents as prescribed by the Washington association of sheriffs and police chiefs. ...

That law I referenced above requires the dealer to provide a bunch of information about appeals to the person who is being denied. It isn't clear to me whether Cabelas gave the OP any appeal info. If not, I'm guessing this is a delay situation (though that presumes Cabelas does its job correctly -- so grain of salt). If the OP did get info regarding the appeal process, then it is a denial, and he should follow the process for appealing in the documentation given to him.

It said deny on the screen I seen it they gave me info and I have started the appeal with NTN number.

I think its all because no one was there to look at it as someone stole my identity when I was 19 or so and got a DV charge. It shows on there but also is cleared as not me the system just may not be able to see that and needs a person we will see may try and get a upin to not deal with this again.

... I did not know if I should not carry right now till I fined out why or if the FFLs getting a deny does not change anything with my CPL and the police have not showed up at my house.

This is the actual law on CPL revocation: RCW 9.41.075: Concealed pistol license—Revocation. and this part looks ominous:
(2)(a) Unless the person may lawfully possess a pistol without a concealed pistol license, an ineligible person to whom a concealed pistol license was issued shall, within fourteen days of license revocation, lawfully transfer ownership of any pistol acquired while the person was in possession of the license.

I think from some of your other posts that you acquired the weapons you have before your CPL, if so the above definitely doesn't apply. There may be some question still in other provisions about keeping the guns you have. It looks really complicated and it may be that a NICS denial isn't bad enough to trigger those provisions or revocation of the CPL -- what you should really do is consult an attorney rather than random blowhards, myself included, you find on the internet.

... Some have said to just go run a NICS again and make sure they put everything right but I am not sure its a good idea ...
Bad idea -- every denial gets reported to law enforcement in WA state. See my post above.

... I have sent the NTN number in to see what they say I am just afraid this will now take forever. ...
So you did get an actual denial -- you need to follow the process now. It might take a long time but the alternative is give up firearms (becoming a felon is not a real option). NICS Guide for Appealing a Firearm Background Check — FBI

It said deny on the screen I seen it they gave me info and I have started the appeal with NTN number.

I think its all because no one was there to look at it as someone stole my identity when I was 19 or so and got a DV charge. It shows on there but also is cleared as not me the system just may not be able to see that and needs a person we will see may try and get a upin to not deal with this again.

Well, that's probably it then -- sounds much more likely a reason than an address snafu. Hopefully it won't take forever to sort out.

We deal with this every day - so I'll clarify a few items:

Address has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the NICS approval, delay or denials. ON the State Pistol transfer application it could be a reason for a correction prior to approval for non concealed carry permit holder (its the wrong city or county agency reviewing the form).

Providing a false address on the state or federal forms, it is a crime. However, it's easily corrected. If you do it on purpose, to fraudulently obtain a firearm (a non resident pretending to be a resident) then you can get in some serious trouble.

Washington has a separate stature of false swearing, that would only apply to a pistol purchase because there is no state form for long guns. Again, this has to be to used in purpose to deceive, a mistake can be corrected easily. There is a defined processed to correct those forms.

Your ID needs to have your current residence address, not a mailing address or other address of convenience. As an FFL, we offer the client the ability to update their DL in store on an Ipad, or we can use a state or federal issued document to back up your current address of residence. If your ID doesn't match what is on the 4473, DOWN to apt numbers or abbreviations, we'll have it corrected ASAP.

At no time does an address create a denial. Ever.

Now, delays and denials...those literally change with the wind. Clients that are always proceeded, sometimes get a delay. Others that are always delayed, sometime get an immediate proceed. Some clients get denials, for no reason at all after a history of approvals. We're seeing NTN appeals coming back inside of 8 weeks for some people right now.

Things are changing... what was good say 3 months ago, may no longer work... the States are changing how they do things, and so is the FBI. So IMO just because things were good before, doesn't mean they are now. Don't expect it to fly, just cuz it did before.

Oregon was using the State Patrol to process NICS... has that changed? If WA goes straight thru to FBI, then answers based on Oregon procedures may not be helpful.

I got delayed on my last handgun purchase in Oregon... it took a year to get approval!!!

Oregon still runs thru OSP... the dealers can either call or run it on the computer. Either way OSP runs the NICS check which is the same exact thing that happens when you get pulled over by the police. Same check same computer system...

:s0114: just given ya a hard time lol almost beer:30
It's past beer 30 lol I been down on the dock for a few hours working on my brother in-law boat.
They are all out of town so I'm in charge of it lol.well just have to check on it and was doing some cleaning lol nothing wrong with it just kinda hanging around on the dock NICE DAY WHY KNOT

It's past beer 30 lol I been down on the dock for a few hours working on my brother in-law boat.
They are all out of town so I'm in charge of it lol.well just have to check on it and was doing some cleaning lol nothing wrong with it just kinda hanging around on the dock NICE DAY WHY KNOT
lol i see what u did there

Nobody on this site can tell you for sure why you got a "deny". You need to present your case to the authorities. Go back, start over, have things in order, like EPS says, same address on all your official ID's and proceed.

I wasn't trying to be a A$$ like I said it's a different world out there now .
I was at the gun store a few months ago .and saw the owner tell a navy guy who had a ID FROM ONE STATE AND A CPL FROM ANOTHER.i can't sell you a gun . even with his MILITARY ID. the fact is no FFL is going to take a chance on it anymore YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW .so to speak .

This could be a PROBLEM for MILITARY guys and girls that move around a lot .they have a CPL from there home state but where Station in another state for a long time then moved to another . it's a huge pain in the a$$ but you have to try to keep everything up to date

I don't need to tell you HOW PISSED OFF I WAS LAST YEAR WHEN I TRIED TO RENEWAL OF MY .CDL LICENSE .and had to have a Birth certificate .to renew my license that I have had for over 20 years.
Yep that's what we want open boarder let them in but I have to prove I was born here .#$;()_#@#))&#&((

OP could you go back to your commentary about quote: I think its all because no one was there to look at it as someone stole my identity when I was 19 or so and got a DV charge. unquote.

OP you keep adding more, changing as you go on your story... me thinks there is more going on than you wish to share.

This could be a PROBLEM for MILITARY guys and girls that move around a lot .they have a CPL from there home state but where Station in another state for a long time then moved to another . it's a huge pain in the a$$ but you have to try to keep everything up to date

Military members have a different rules. They have an official state of residence, but they are able to lawfully purchase in their home state, the state that matches their orders OR any contiguous state to their duty station.

OP.
I know you are new, but allot of what you are saying is not adding up.
There is no loop hole to skate by. BGC, require updated material. They don't care the reason you have a
issue with your ID. Think of it like the DMV, you show up there, they want proper ID period.
Buying a firearm is no different. But for them to run the wrong address makes no sense unless you provided this on your application,
which is not providing a valid ID. In Most states a Valid ID = your official place of residence that is reflected on your ID.
Then you are claiming and ID was stolen? If you are getting a current drivers license at the correct address then no one else is using the ID that reflects that address as the DMV would catch this and your ID never would have been sent to you if the address was wrong.
I don't know, thats all I gotta say about this, as its doesn't past the smell test for this member.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Flygsbtd.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F01%2Fthat-aint-right.jpg

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top