JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slingshots are great. You don't necessarily need the wrist stabilizer commonly found on the wrist rockets to field a high powered slingshot.. I've got/had wrist rockets and some without the brace.
It's very close to instinct shooting a bow. I used to pop critters up to the size of a possum/jackrabbit using .45 lead balls. I'd hate to get shot with one.

Anyone ever eaten American red breasted Robin? Haha!!

Yep, lots of time when I was a kid, and my cousins and I were bloodthirsty little rascals.

Mostly taken with our Daisy BB guns...

The only difference I could tell between a Robin and a Mourning Dove, was that Doves got pink feets, and Robins don't.

They tasted the same when cooked on a stick over an open fire....

I had a pretty early version of a wrist rocket, just a bent up aluminum rod with a piece of plastic over your wrist, and a plastic hand grip.

The rubber tubing finally broke, so I went to the local sporting goods store, (the OLD Yardbirds, where Sunbirds is now, in Chehalis,) and bought one size up tubing in the fishing section, cut off the old tubing flush with the pocket tube holders, and flush with the ends of the aluminum wrist part, and then slid the new lengths of tubing over the old rubber, and tied it down with dental floss.

The thing was a bugger to pull back, but it sure increased the force, and velocity.

Marbles worked well, and so did the steel balls you could get, along with .36 Cal. or so lead round ball.

I grew up with a wrist rocket and a sling like David from the Bible used. That is a very powerful weapon but I was not able to sling as accurately as I could shoot with the WR. I killed a bunch of squirrel and grouse with it for supper at our cabin on the north slope of Pikes Peak not to far from Woodland Park Colorado.

My first Summer Boy Scouts Camp I met a kid from Nicaragua who grew up using the original type of slingshot.
Two leather thongs with a leather pouch, this kid was phenomenal.
He helped me make one for myself and by the end of that Summer I was getting pretty good.

This is when I realized that David really could have killed Goliath with a sling.

Theraband Gold!

slingshot_zps3d6cc11c.jpg

I'll be dead most likely gone from this world the way I came in - screaming while covered in someone else's blood.

On wrist rockets: I remember very well walking up to the local Wigwam store on Sandy Blvd. just up from Giant's Gym and next to Bills Steak House (all beef, no bull) in Parkrose where I grew up. I took it straight to the slew and fired a bunch of rocks at the carp I could see meandering along the bottom. Didn't take long and I was soon a good aim, picking off various birds. Then my uncle caught me and taught me you eat what you kill. Anyone ever eaten American red breasted Robin? Haha!!

YES! It was my very first species I ever took, my father had kept an eye on me and watched as I did it, I had no idea he was there until he said "now what are you going to do with it"? I plucked and cooked it, and that wasn't my last one either.:rolleyes:

I still have the crosman wrist rocket from when I was a kid just been replacing the band and buying sacks of marbles. They're great for quiet killin...

I wasn't around NWFA when this thread first went up, but since it's been brought back from the dead, I may as well weigh in. I do enjoy shooting slingshots, as well as building them. I'm not a wrist-rocket fan as I've found a properly designed slingshot without a brace can be as accurate and as powerful (I'd argue they can be more accurate and more powerful) than a wrist rocket. It's a great skill to have. And, the best part for me is that it's something I can do in my backyard without any worry that the cops will show up. You can shoot a wide variety of ammo from small and light to large and heavy, and, if you're practiced enough, you can even hunt small game. And they're just a lot of fun. I've developed a nice collection over the years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top