JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks,
That was what I thought. It didn't make sense to me. Just curious what they define as slung shot? Possibly a shot filled sap?
Yes, this more like a sap than anything

wikipedia said:
A slungshot is a maritime tool consisting of a weight, or "shot," affixed to the end of a long cord often by being wound into the center of a knot called a "Monkey's fist." It is used to cast line from one location to another, often mooring line. The cord end is tied to the heavier line and the weighted end of the slungshot is thrown across the intervening space where a person picks it up and pulls the line across.
Contents

The slungshot was often used as a civilian or improvised weapon; however, the rope length became much shorter when used as a weapon. The cord is tied around the wrist, and the weight is carried in the hand or the pocket of the user. To use, the weight is thrown into the opponent's face, rather like a yo-yo. Repeated blows can be landed by "snapping" the slungshot, rather like snapping a towel. A slungshot may also be swung to attack an adversary in a manner similar to that of a flail.

Slungshots were widely used by criminals and street gang members in the 19th Century. They had the advantage of being easy to make, silent, and very effective, particularly against an unsuspecting opponent. This gave them a dubious reputation, similar to that carried by switchblade knives in the 1950s, and they were outlawed in many jurisdictions. They fell out of use sometime in the latter part of the 19th Century.

Really similar to a medieval mace, or currently a blackjack or sap. A bunch of change or rocks in a sock or a bag would be a similar improvised version.

Wrist Rockets are LOTS OF FUN! I am quite accurate with mine, and it is surprising how good that can be and at what long range. I prefer to use marbles for shot---nobody would guess that it was from a slingshot if found. These are fun for keeping animals out of the yard. Also good for dealing with annoying loud parties at night at the neighbors house! A head shot will knock out a small animal---I had a neighbor with a flock of semi-wild chickens, and when he wanted one he would just knock it out with his slingshot...........................elsullo
Used to have neighbors...called The "FOCK DUDE" tribe since they screamed that phrase all night whilst tossing bottles over the fence.
I reverted to 12 year old one night and,with amazing accuracy, bounced 6 stink bombs through the half open door. Satisfying but not a
problem solver. I don't think the smell overcame the existing odors!

Speaking of "slung-shots" and getting around that law, there are no laws about how you carry your coins. A North Portland ethnic weapon is to take a pantyhose, put one leg inside the other, and fill with about three dollars worth of pennies. Hold it by the crotch and swing it around the head---very effective and not illegal. On the bus one time some gals knocked out another gal, but the pantyhose burst---pennies EVERYWHERE! Somewhere on the internet a guy sells a keychain thing that slips under the belt, it is a sturdy leather tube with a snap top that holds two rolls of quarters. Perfectly legal, until we get some common sense regulations for carrying coins...........................elsullo

Yes, this more like a sap than anything

Really similar to a medieval mace, or currently a blackjack or sap. A bunch of change or rocks in a sock or a bag would be a similar improvised version.

Speaking of "slung-shots" and getting around that law, there are no laws about how you carry your coins. A North Portland ethnic weapon is to take a pantyhose, put one leg inside the other, and fill with about three dollars worth of pennies. Hold it by the crotch and swing it around the head---very effective and not illegal. On the bus one time some gals knocked out another gal, but the pantyhose burst---pennies EVERYWHERE! Somewhere on the internet a guy sells a keychain thing that slips under the belt, it is a sturdy leather tube with a snap top that holds two rolls of quarters. Perfectly legal, until we get some common sense regulations for carrying coins...........................elsullo

why do you say legal? "...or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person," pretty much covers the roll-o-quarters-in-the-sock trick.

remember.. it's not about matching elements, it's about making a jury believe the elements have been matched. which is pretty easy, when the defendant has corn-rows and an orange jump suit.

Love mine, and hikes can be tons of fun when everyone else has one too. Kids of ALL ages.

There will be accuracy contests for sure, and the inevitable trajectory wars to see who can put a splash farthest accross the lake. Advice for newbies? If you're buying your first wrist rocket, grab an extra rubber band while you're there. Rough-edged rocks will eventually rip things up as you try different sizes and shapes of ammo. You sure don't want to be the only one in your group unable to launch.

I think there are different grades of rubber bands, too. Any recommendations?

My dad used to tell me stories about the wrist rocket he had when he was a kid. It had a soft rubber cup instead of leather. He said he used to fill it with birdshot and take out birds on the fly. Do I believe him? Yes I do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top