JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a little back ground I used to be a custom knifemaker did it full time for 14 years last knife made Sept 96. My shop has a dedicated grinding room 12 x 12 that has two 2x72" Belt grinders a stationary cut off wheel machine a 4x6 Horizontal Vertical bandsaw a 9" D flat disc grinder/sander and a wall mounted 8" wire brush/flap sanding machine along with a 125+ year old small wood lathe.

Needless to say this room got dirty. Before my son left for the US Navy in 03 I asked him to clean the room up and I would pay him. Well he decided he didn't need any money so it didn't get cleaned up.

Today I decided I was tired of tripping over the piles of cut offs and misc crap every where and started cleaning it up. I shoveled a 5 gallon bucket full of crap then took it out to the carport dumped in a large tray and sorted it into usable non usable. I hauled 5) buckets out plus multiple handfuls of other crap to long to fit into the buckets I ended up with 1) bucket of usable scrap and about 20-25 gallons of crap.

And it barely looks like I made a dent! This is going to take a while.

Plans are to completely dung out the room then give all surfaces a good brushing with a stiff brush followed by vacuuming and then a New coat of White paint on the walls and ceiling and a couple coats of Machine Gray Polyurethane floor paint. Then I am going to replace the 4) 4' florescent fixtures with 4 of the new LED fixtures.

then I can spend the next 15 years making it a mess again LOL

Oh I found a pair of end nippers I was just looking for the other day, But I am also sorting out all the aluminum, Steel, Micarta and other raw materials I come across. So far the neatest thing is maybe the little piece of Walrus Ivory just big enough to make a nice Ivory toothpick.

So a little back ground I used to be a custom knifemaker did it full time for 14 years last knife made Sept 96. My shop has a dedicated grinding room 12 x 12 that has two 2x72" Belt grinders a stationary cut off wheel machine a 4x6 Horizontal Vertical bandsaw a 9" D flat disc grinder/sander and a wall mounted 8" wire brush/flap sanding machine along with a 125+ year old small wood lathe.

Needless to say this room got dirty. Before my son left for the US Navy in 03 I asked him to clean the room up and I would pay him. Well he decided he didn't need any money so it didn't get cleaned up.

Today I decided I was tired of tripping over the piles of cut offs and misc crap every where and started cleaning it up. I shoveled a 5 gallon bucket full of crap then took it out to the carport dumped in a large tray and sorted it into usable non usable. I hauled 5) buckets out plus multiple handfuls of other crap to long to fit into the buckets I ended up with 1) bucket of usable scrap and about 20-25 gallons of crap.

And it barely looks like I made a dent! This is going to take a while.

Plans are to completely dung out the room then give all surfaces a good brushing with a stiff brush followed by vacuuming and then a New coat of White paint on the walls and ceiling and a couple coats of Machine Gray Polyurethane floor paint. Then I am going to replace the 4) 4' florescent fixtures with 4 of the new LED fixtures.

then I can spend the next 15 years making it a mess again LOL

That is the typical male repetitive life cycle.... ;)

When you get done do you want to come over and tackle my garage? Just kiddin. I've squires things at a staggering rate lately, a Harley, two safes, large Traeger, gas bbq, and a bunch of bubblegum that my brother couldn't fit when he moved. And mean while our cars get parked outside.

When you get done do you want to come over and tackle my garage? Just kiddin. I've squires things at a staggering rate lately, a Harley, two safes, large Traeger, gas bbq, and a bunch of bubblegum that my brother couldn't fit when he moved. And mean while our cars get parked outside.

I have the SAME EXACT thing going on in my workshop ATM.... LMAO!!

It's that time of year for me, too. Last year, right after hunting season I started a major clean-up/overhaul of my shop. I got far enough along to get the car in and do what I needed for the upcoming season, then it turned back into a mess! Once hunting season is over I plan to pick up where I left off last year. I will make some shelving to be able to get the rest of my stuff put away and will get a nice light over the lathe. I also need to cut the holes to put the vents in the new ducting and get power to the furnace. That will make all of the winter projects better.:)

It never ends.

It's that time of year for me, too. Last year, right after hunting season I started a major clean-up/overhaul of my shop. I got far enough along to get the car in and do what I needed for the upcoming season, then it turned back into a mess! Once hunting season is over I plan to pick up where I left off last year. I will make some shelving to be able to get the rest of my stuff put away and will get a nice light over the lathe. I also need to cut the holes to put the vents in the new ducting and get power to the furnace. That will make all of the winter projects better.:)

It never ends.
I said that last year too, LOL! Wish me luck this time :rolleyes:

I have lived in my place for 32 years and ran a construction business, nursery and other things here. We are selling this place next spring and moving to Central Oregon. For years I have kept too much sh*t, parts, materials and old equipment. For the last 2 years, I have done nothing much other than clean all this up and remodel the house.

Do you know how much sh*t you collect over the years ?? After almost two years I am in the end of this process and it feels good. I have my shop down to essentials and semi organized. I am down to just what I need for yard tools, I have the landscape down too. We have two storage units that we will go through next spring BEFORE we move the stuff to our new shop.

So hopefully I will not clutter this new place up, hopefully got another 20 years to have some fun with it. And yes, there was stuff I had not seen or dealt with for 20 years or more too.

behind the long bench I found my 3# hammer

Haahaa..I moved a faucet a couple days ago, that is a story in itself, my 61 year old azz digging a 10 foot trench a foot deep, took me on and off two days...but wanted to secure the faucet to a cut down fence post and with the new organized shop I thought my 3# hammer would be just right for that job. Walked to the tool box pulled the drawer open and I will be damned if that hammer was not right there. First time in ages that has happened, could get used to that.

Haahaa..I moved a faucet a couple days ago, that is a story in itself, my 61 year old azz digging a 10 foot trench a foot deep, took me on and off two days...but wanted to secure the faucet to a cut down fence post and with the new organized shop I thought my 3# hammer would be just right for that job. Walked to the tool box pulled the drawer open and I will be damned if that hammer was not right there. First time in ages that has happened, could get used to that.

My tools keep growing legs!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

up to removing almost 50 gallons of crap out of the room so far I have amassed:

5 gallons of scrap steel worth saving
2 gallons of aluminum scrap worth saving
1.5 gallons of micarta
about 3 gallons of small wood scraps to keep
a few tools mostly files.

Its going to take a 1/2 dozen filter changes in the big shop vac to get up all the dust (after having swept and shoveled the majority out.

Another Day of work I should be down to vacuum clean WHAT A PITA.

I have swept the floor with a fine bristle broom twice now its like the dust is so thick in the air it it just settles out thick enough to need sweeping again. BUT its all cleared out only thing in the room are the machines and a couple stands (one holds a water bucket to dip hot metal in as I grind on it the other is a catch all to put stuff I am working on)

Pretty sure I am going to upgrade the lighting to LEDS. Harbor Freight has some 5000 lumen 60 watt fixtures that will replace my current worn out florescent fixtures.

Going to need to brush the walls and ceiling to get the dust off thats going to be fun. Then a good vacuuming. Not sure about repainting I am behind on a bunch of house work the wife might not look kindly on me painting in the shop when there is painting to do on the front porch I'm about 7 years behind on finishing LOL.

I have swept the floor with a fine bristle broom twice now its like the dust is so thick in the air it it just settles out thick enough to need sweeping again. BUT its all cleared out only thing in the room are the machines and a couple stands (one holds a water bucket to dip hot metal in as I grind on it the other is a catch all to put stuff I am working on)

Pretty sure I am going to upgrade the lighting to LEDS. Harbor Freight has some 5000 lumen 60 watt fixtures that will replace my current worn out florescent fixtures....

If the ballists are good, you can get LED tubes that work in them. Direct replacements.

$10 for 4' tubes at Home Depot that you can spin at install if they are too bright, likely else where too. Nice even light, no warm up time.

If the ballists are bad, then yah replace.

These cheap shop lights are nearly 31 years old I think I paid like $10 each for them I got my moneys worth. Heck for nearly 10 years they were on all day long. Time for a change. Some cheap HF LEDs will be just the trick.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top