JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Night before last, I bought a new mattress online with credit card no. 1. Yesterday morning, we got an email and a phone call from the CC company asking to verify the transaction. Then we had an appointment later yesterday morning for a technician to come by and do some repair work on an appliance. When it came time to pay, I hauled out CC #1, and it was declined. Okay then, I hauled out CC #2 (which has a very high limit, most of which is not in use), and it was also declined. I wound up paying the tradesman with a paper personal check. Which he copied with his smart phone and handed back to me.

Tradesman gone, next job was to unravel the CC problems. Long menu phone calls, much time involved times two CC's. I got both cards unlocked so they could be used again for regular commerce. CC #1 people didn't know why or didn't want to tell me why the card was declined. I got the idea the declination process is all done by computers that are electronically watching all the input data. CC #2 told me the reason for the declination was, the company the tradesman works for is based in Texas, with regional trade areas but all billing goes through the Texas address. And this is what hoisted the red flags for the transation. Now I will interject my opinion and say, the computer knows most of my transactions are local or online; when they see a transaction coming in from Texas, it thinks it's a scammer in a remote location trying to hack my card. Or something like that.

When Mrs. Merkt and I travel, we've taken to calling the CC companies in advance and letting them know of our plans and that we will be using the CC elsewhere. They put a note to this effect in our (electronic) "file."

It's not only inconvenient but also embarrasing to have two cards in a row declined. But I was thinking, it's very likely that this is happening with other customers of this particular tradesman. Yet he didn't let on that he knew anything about similar experiences with customers.

The mattress caper. That one I think I've figured out. I made a few small online purchases before the mattress. I've been told before that sometimes scammers will "test" a stolen CC with small purchases to see if it "works" before they get into purchases involving larger amounts. This might be what happened with the mattress.

That's weird.
During my recent travels my debit card got worked all the way across the country.
I use a credit card for bigger expenditures when traveling to collect points. It got some work as well.
I failed to call before we left so they didn't get locked up.

Fortunately they didn't get locked up.
Had it happen one time in Mexico with my debit card.

I had a pump decline my debit card and I had to go inside and pay. This has happend before when I purchased gas twice in one day but that was not the case that day. Weird.

Edit: I had just got paid so it wasn't an issue of them putting a hold over the amount of my balance.

That's weird.
During my recent travels my debit card got worked all the way across the country.
I use a credit card for bigger expenditures when traveling to collect points. It got some work as well.
I failed to call before we left so they didn't get locked up.

Fortunately they didn't get locked up.
Had it happen one time in Mexico with my debit card.
I have heard of several who had to let the bank know it "was them" when traveling too but for some reason did not happen to me. Not sure how the hell they trigger or not. Last time I went to AZ I thought about it after I had been there a couple days. Wondering why my using my card there did not trigger at least a text asking me. A couple times Discover did give me the warning text while I was in town. Couple times we were just doing a lot of shopping and suddenly I would get the text asking me if that was me. When Wife and I go up to Port Angles it never triggers either. Maybe they are tracking me so they know its me ? :eek:
My Wife got an Alexa a bit ago Which at times is almost "creepy" though. Other day I come home, she tells the one in the bedroom to play something, it comes BLASTING out the thing. She yells at it to turn volume down and it gets louder. At that point she drops an F bomb and says Alexa are you stupid. The damn machine turned off the music and said "I don't know what I did wrong". That made me start laughing. Wife them says to it she is sorry to which it replies "no problem".:eek::eek::eek:
Now I keep looking at the damn things wondering, is someone on the other end watching and listening to me? :s0140:

Last time I used my credit card was a month and a half ago, I don't like credit cards for most things I do.

Never have used my debit card other than to show it to the bank to get cash out.

I am old school and cash is king, it's true freedom and nobody knows where your money goes or where you go.

Ymmv

We've spent years building our credit history. Over the course of the pandemic both of my wife's credit card's credit limits have been dropped in half to make it look like we keep it at the limit.

If you didn't know, this wreaks havoc on the credit history. I'm about ready to just pay them off and close those accounts. You'd think after 20 years, they would treat their long term customers better.

I have a rather low interest card, 6%, I've had since I was 18. They are always F'ing with me whenever I use it. I don't think they like that I'm some sort of grandfathered in thing or something and I'm some 19% under the going rates. Every time I use it for a large purchase something comes up and I need to call. I I spend 2000 in small purchases, no one cares, spend 3500 on a truck canopy and they poop their pants.

We've spent years building our credit history. Over the course of the pandemic both of my wife's credit card's credit limits have been dropped in half to make it look like we keep it at the limit.

If you didn't know, this wreaks havoc on the credit history. I'm about ready to just pay them off and close those accounts. You'd think after 20 years, they would treat their long term customers better.
When the banks do this there is something they are seeing that they do not like. Often its hard to know exactly what it is but, it is not just done randomly. Lot of it is algorithms that no human really see's. Bottom line yes it does play a part in your over all score. It makes it look like you are using almost all of your available credit. Right now money is CHEAP if you have good credit. If you are carrying credit card debt that is the worst kind of debt as nothing is more expensive. The solution is try to get some kind of loan to pay the cards off at far less interest. Then use the cards but, pay them off. Keep that up and even if one drops you someone else will be glad to take your business.

I have a rather low interest card, 6%, I've had since I was 18. They are always F'ing with me whenever I use it. I don't think they like that I'm some sort of grandfathered in thing or something and I'm some 19% under the going rates. Every time I use it for a large purchase something comes up and I need to call. I I spend 2000 in small purchases, no one cares, spend 3500 on a truck canopy and they poop their pants.
That means they are making damn sure its you. They are not making much off you but, if they let someone else use your card to make a large purchase? You of course call them and say hey, this was not me. The bank has to take the charge off but, that does not mean someone is not paying for the original charge. They have to begin a fight with the merchant who sold the item. If the merchant did things correctly he is not on the hook, the bank is. There is no free lunch, someone has to pay.

When the banks do this there is something they are seeing that they do not like. Often its hard to know exactly what it is but, it is not just done randomly. Lot of it is algorithms that no human really see's. Bottom line yes it does play a part in your over all score. It makes it look like you are using almost all of your available credit. Right now money is CHEAP if you have good credit. If you are carrying credit card debt that is the worst kind of debt as nothing is more expensive. The solution is try to get some kind of loan to pay the cards off at far less interest. Then use the cards but, pay them off. Keep that up and even if one drops you someone else will be glad to take your business.
The thing is that gets me about this situation is that I've got Frack You money in stock and can pay these two citibank cards... of all things, it's Citibank stock which provides a good dividend....

so I am torn between cashing out and paying them off or just weather the next few months and pay them off on schedule.

I'm sure they tweaked something in the algorithm as this didn't happen in 1998 during the tech bubble burst and 2008 recession.

The thing is that gets me about this situation is that I've got Frack You money in stock and can pay these two citibank cards... of all things, it's Citibank stock which provides a good dividend....

so I am torn between cashing out and paying them off or just weather the next few months and pay them off on schedule.

I'm sure they tweaked something in the algorithm as this didn't happen in 1998 during the tech bubble burst and 2008 recession.
If you have holdings you do not want to have to liquidate see if you can find a loan at 1/3 or less the interest rate of the cards. Feds are dumping cash at almost zero on the market. So you may well find someone willing to loan you the money to pay off the cards at FAR less than the bank is getting for the cards. Then you can keep the assets you do not wish to sell now, and save a hell of a lot in interest.

The only times I've had trouble is when someone has skimmed my card. They put a very small camera on the ATM, make it look like it's part of the machine. It captures your CC number as you insert the card and your PIN as you type it. Then they sell the information or have someone from out of state use the card. It's happened to me 3 times over the years and they've caught it each time. It's always been a few small transactions out of state. I assume they are testing to see if the information is good and then either try for something big or sell the data again for more money as it has been verified. I've travelled and not had an issue.

Never have used my debit card other than to show it to the bank to get cash out.

I am old school and cash is king, it's true freedom and nobody knows where your money goes or where you go.
I don't have a debit card. When I have cash transactions at the BofA, they always ask me for it.

I like cash too. But I kinda squirrel it away for the reasons you say. The CC are for everything else.

No, I didn't know this. As to closing out cards, I think I was told this also deducts points from your credit score, for some reason. The 20 years thing as a card holder, they don't care, it's just business. I've had the same checking account at BofA for 35 years. They don't accord me anything extra for longevity.

That reminds me of my Comcast / Xfinity cable TV subscription. Which I've also had for 35 years. It wasn't always Comcast, but I'm a legacy account. They don't give me anything for longevity. If anything, they give me a royal screwing for hanging around for so long. When I call to haggle about rates, they say something like, "Oh, Mr. Merkt (pseudonym), we see you've been with us for 35 years." Then they proceed to give me nothing. If I'm able to pry a small, usually temporary rate cut from them, it has nothing to do with being a long time customer. It's just business.

Credit scores, I have to say they mean utterly nothing to me. I don't owe anyone any money, I pay the CC's off monthly. CC's are only a tool of convenience for me. I'm not gonna be buying any more vehicles, houses or whatever.

Years ago, I advised Mrs. Merkt to get credit cards in her own name only, which she did while she was still working. For when I croak so she won't have problems with accounts that were set up with me as the primary card holder.

@Flopsweat what ATMs do that we can avoid those.
The ATMs don't do it, scammers do. They attach a device to the ATM. The device captures data from your card. The scammer will leave the device on the ATM for a while and then come back and retrieve it.

Apparently they have improved their tactics since I last read about this and they now put a false front on the ATM's card reader so they can read your card directly. Here's an example of a device that fits over the card slot.

skimmer-1499456917-8000.jpg

Here's another kind of skimmer:

kimmers20180730123612.jpg_12429373_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

That reminds me of my Comcast / Xfinity cable TV subscription. Which I've also had for 35 years. It wasn't always Comcast, but I'm a legacy account. They don't give me anything for longevity. If anything, they give me a royal screwing for hanging around for so long. When I call to haggle about rates, they say something like, "Oh, Mr. Merkt (pseudonym), we see you've been with us for 35 years." Then they proceed to give me nothing. If I'm able to pry a small, usually temporary rate cut from them, it has nothing to do with being a long time customer. It's just business.
I have been with Comcast for a number of years. They always raise my rates, while new customers pay 2/3 of what I do and get more services. I've been told by other people that the only way to get a rate cut from them is to call and tell them you want to cancel, and then they will deal with you. Tried it a few years ago, and it worked but they made me commit to a 2 year contract. As soon as the contract period was up, my rates when back up again.

I recently dumped them and switched to Century Link. I'm paying 1/2 of what Comcast charged. The clincher was considering that Comcast owns NBC and MSNBC. Stick with them and continue to pay the salaries of the likes of Rachel Maddow and Joy Reid. No thanks.

I only have one credit card and use it for internet buying of gunstuff. It's a good feeling this month to see no charge on the bill for last month. Actually haven't got the bill yet but never bought anything so it should say 0.

Never have I paid a dime of interest on the card but since it's a Costco card they charge $120??? a year to have it. When I do use it, the bill shows up about the 16th of the month and is due on the 3rd. Means I use there money, get cash back and have a buyers protection plan if product goes bad. All kinds of hidden benefits with the card.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top