JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a full time emergency medical provider I would not recommend anyone mess with sutures or staples in a prehospital setting. You are far more likely to induce infection making everything worse. The zip things are probably safe, but I doubt their usefulness. NONE of these interventions are for bleeding control, which should be your #1 priority.

I always recommend you spend your money on more training instead of gizmos.

Can anyone recommend a book on "field first aid for the unprepared"? I have had plenty of experience with that kind of bungling. It would be good to unlearn the bad habits I've practiced for years.
My base of knowledge is wrought from flat out stupid "here, hold my beer..." events while out in the field, and I have been lectured by ER doctors, "we don't do that anymore!"

You ever try to remove one of those steel staples with something other than the "tool" It s a rigamirole.
Just like sutures, they hurt like a beotch when you 'tear' them. Make nasty looking zipper scars too. Never bothered counting how many I had....
Bandages are your friend.
Electrical tape and bandages. Rags if you don't have bandages. Temporary until you can get proper medical care. Sometimes it may take a day or more to get out of the mountains for that.

Yes to the wound stapler.

one of those cheap staplers saved the day hunting this year when my friend accidentally stabbed his hand at 11pm, about 2 miles off trail on the second trip hauling my elk out. He did some real damage to his hand but he didn't need to make a 1am drive to the nearest town hoping the local doctor was still awake.

I'm not a doctor and cant give medical advice but my point is if your far away from medical help that thing was so quick and simple compared to what I imagine sewing stitches would be. We had a little issue tucking in a dangling severed tendon but that stapler closed up the wound nice and clean....

Selection_006.jpg

As a full time emergency medical provider I would not recommend anyone mess with sutures or staples in a prehospital setting. You are far more likely to induce infection making everything worse. The zip things are probably safe, but I doubt their usefulness. NONE of these interventions are for bleeding control, which should be your #1 priority.

Wholeheartedly agree, however this is the preparedness & survival section...

This is the best advice. Control of bleeding, not wound closure should be your primary concern. Even in a SHTF scenario you're probably better off healing the wound from inside to out.

I do advocate carrying supplies like this when traveling. I had suture kits etc that I carried to be used on me or mine at a clinic. Knew what I brought was sterile and appropriate which isn't always the case in third world environments where they wash their exam gloves and reuse them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top