JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Should I get one of these for each of our FAKs?

Staples are almost painless to put in, and can be done with one hand as long as the wound isn't gaping open. Best for fairly shallow wounds, they won't stop bleeding from a deeper wound as well. They take a little practice to learn how and where to place them appropriately. It might be one of those things you never use, but would be darn glad you bought if you ever needed it. Being plastic, it can't be resterilized without melting unless you use a gas sterilizer, but at that price, you could afford to replace it if you had to use it or if it expired. You may want to contact the company and find out what the shelf life before expiration of sterility is.

I have no clinical training (and I didnt sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night)...

I think it is not recommend to suture or staple a puncture wound, especially a deep puncture. One should only consider staples for slice wounds. You might do some reading on this.

As @2DaMtns mentioned, plan to toss the unit after you open the sterile packaging. I would also think about the sterilization of the unit (is the company trusted, and who did the sterilization and sealing?) and any possible expiration date.

There are fake flesh things you can buy to in order to practice on.

I think it would be good to take one of those more advanced (more than basic) first aid courses.

I had some training in the CG and I have read some books, but have no knowledge on suturing/etc.

If you get a stainless steel stapler, then be sure the get the remover tool. I usually get my stuff at the Grange Coop equestrian supplies. Cheaper than other places.

To be clear on my full recommendation: This should only be used to close a wound long enough to get to a doctor.

Or in a SHTF situation, in the case of no medical professionals being available in the near future (as in weeks to months). Currently I have an eye surgeon two houses to the south of me, but I plan to move in year or two. If we have a Cascadian subduction zone earthquake, medical professionals might be hard to get to and stuff happens.

I wouldn't use such a device on myself or someone else if I could just call 911 and/or be taken to the ER.

You ever try to remove one of those steel staples with something other than the "tool" It s a rigamirole.

You can insert a hemostat or similar narrow tipped hinged instrument between the sides of the staple, open it gently to loose the staple, then take it out one side at a time with a gentle rocking motion. Not as smooth as the removal tool, but it works.

Or in a SHTF situation, in the case of no medical professionals being available in the near future (as in weeks to months). Currently I have an eye surgeon two houses to the south of me, but I plan to move in year or two. If we have a Cascadian subduction zone earthquake, medical professionals might be hard to get to and stuff happens.

I wouldn't use such a device on myself or someone else if I could just call 911 and/or be taken to the ER.

This.

However, would be far more challenging keeping the skin dry (& prepped) for the adhesives in field situations. IMO.

Once prepped, there are dressings that can keep the wound area dry - maybe even just some saran wrap with duct tape over it.

I seriously burned myself earlier this year and had to change the dressings several times a day. I wound up getting some dressings that kept the moisture of the burn in and moisture from the shower out. Worked well.

But yes, in the field it may be hard to use adhesives. It is good to have options.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top