JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Grandpa owned a dairy farm and I didn't mind working it for short periods of time, but as has been stated, they don't handle manure like they used to. We would spread it to dry under a large roof away from the house. As soon as it formed a crust the odor dropped off quickly. Then spread a new batch. Small operation BTW.

My Grandpa owned a dairy farm and I didn't mind working it for short periods of time, but as has been stated, they don't handle manure like they used to. We would spread it to dry under a large roof away from the house. As soon as it formed a crust the odor dropped off quickly. Then spread a new batch. Small operation BTW.

Yep, but now they store in Liquid form and spray it on the fields. Really amplifies the smell.

Ok guys, I'm much appreciated of all the help. I loved my grandpas farms growing up, but resale matters. There's another place with 50+ acres and nice house that we may look at. I just don't want a large mortgage.

You guys make me laugh!!

The farms today, aren't like the farms of yesterday. There are mega farms now. Outside of Tillamook of course. And their manure tanks are gonna be ten times bigger than they used to be. And now with farms feed lotting, instead of pasture feeding, there is gonna be more manure to dispose of. Instead of the cows just dropping in the field.

We never had the fly issue where I live. There is 9 farms in less than 4 square miles from my house.

Also, I live about 1/4 mile from a dairy. I don't know if it's "big" or not (they ship out one double trailer load every couple days), but the smell is most noticeable in the evening when the inversion sets in. It's not that bad, but they're north of us and the prevailing wind is from the south so that probably helps. No flies of any kind.

Also, I live about 1/4 mile from a dairy. I don't know if it's "big" or not (they ship out one double trailer load every couple days), but the smell is most noticeable in the evening when the inversion sets in. It's not that bad, but they're north of us and the prevailing wind is from the south so that probably helps. No flies of any kind.

Yes, I was thinking that the other night. If a person must buy near a large dairy, be sure the land is to the South West, since most winds come from that direction unless you get one near the gorge. Then it is a 50/50 mix.
I use to love the smell of a dairy, but not for the past 30 years since they went to liquefacation.

You guys make me laugh!!

The farms today, aren't like the farms of yesterday. There are mega farms now. Outside of Tillamook of course. And their manure tanks are gonna be ten times bigger than they used to be. And now with farms feed lotting, instead of pasture feeding, there is gonna be more manure to dispose of. Instead of the cows just dropping in the field.

We never had the fly issue where I live. There is 9 farms in less than 4 square miles from my house.

Yeah, damn, we used to be able to make Frisbees out of the cow pies, now you need a squirt gun.

When I worked out of Tillamook a few years ago it occasionally got pretty rough. Sometimes just south of town the smell would be so strong you could actually taste it. We had to park our boom truck on a railroad siding behind a dairy for a couple weeks and it soaked up so much smell you couldnt be in it with the windows up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top