JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you get the property for a smokin' deal and #1, plan to live there for a while or, #2 plan to keep it as an investment then yes. The property may outlive the dairy but I suspect as you suggest short term resale might be a problem. Where is this located?

Over outside of Boise. 3,700 feet, 3.72 acres, two kitchens, daylight basement, shop with 220, all fenced. Taxes are 1,700 a year.$298,000. Could probably get it for less.

I've smelled some REALLY bad smells driving across Idaho on I-84 in January, so thick in the air you could almost taste it.

Just sayin'.....

No! I have lived near/ next to a couple of dairy's. It's fine sometimes of the year, but mid to late summer it was awful. Wind blows just right on a warm summer night and yuk..

Also feed lots.. Don't do it.

The worst is a large pig farm. Don't buy anything within a mile of a pig farm..

No, don't do it. I lived directly across the street from a dairy for 10 years. Moving in, I had the same mindset as you because my uncle raised cows and I grew up around the smell of cow poop. I told my wife that she would get used to it...she didn't.
We tried selling the house after living there for about 6 years and did not have any interested buyers. Over the next 4 years, we did a major remodel and sold the house to the first unsuspecting people that gave us an offer. Our house had to be the nicest in the neighborhood in order to sell it and we had to spend all of the profit we would have made on improvements just to sell it.
Flies came straight from the cow's *** to our house and left poop spots all over the house, inside and out. Believe me, we made a good effort to never leave the doors or windows open even when it didn't smell because the flies would leave poop spots on our furniture, window blinds, lamp shades, clothes, and even dishes if they were left on the counter.
The dairy grew in size over those 10 years and the cow's *** smell smell got worse, sometimes for months if the wind was blowing in our direction. My wife is able to joke about it now, but she will never agree to live next to or close by a dairy again.

Along with flies there are fleas to deal with also.
They were so bad one summer we ended up ripping out all the carpet and put in wood floors.
Unless they are mine I will never live around them again.

I grew up near dairy farms as a kid and wouldn't have any issue living near one now.....except in the Treasure Valley ( Boise, Meridian, etc) area. Due to the horseshoe shape of the mountains and the valley geography, they get major inversions and stagnant air warnings. I don't know if you've ever been over there when they have an inversion but its really horrible and they can last up to a week. So, my vote would be to look elsewhere or at least away from a dairy farm...

They dont pile the manure like they used to. The methane gasses now are horrible. They slurry it to a fermenting liquid and the smell is a hundred times worse than years past. We raised cattle and the manure pile was never offensive at all, but the methods used now......
Phhhheeeeeeewwwwww it will singe your nostrils.

Along with flies there are fleas to deal with also.
They were so bad one summer we ended up ripping out all the carpet and put in wood floors.
Unless they are mine I will never live around them again.

You could sprinkle borax or diatoms around the carpeting and fleas basically kill themselves as they move. It cuts their exoskeleton and they dehydrate to death.
We have not had a flea in 30 years now. Our dogs are always in home.

Grew up next to one.
Issues to deal with:
1. smell
2. noise early in the morning when milking starts and anytime they are hungry or anxious - mooing
3. flies - worst issue in my book
4. cows get loose and trample your yard leaving deep hoof prints

I grew up working on a dairy in the summer. They aren't what they used to be.

Me and the second wife were coming home (puyallup) from up north,somewhere,heading down HWY 167.
Not a particularly hot night or anything.
She was sleeping.

All of the sudden she wakes up and asks if we were in Kent

Yup! Right next to the big farm!

I gotta say no
And have to agree with all the resale talk. And if it goes as normal,you will be reselling soon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top