JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would take longer for someone to get in to a wood safe laminated with some metal fence panels using a chain saw than it would take me using a grinder and a zip disk to get into most metal ones.

And no smash and grab thief is going to show up packing either and both make quite a racket.

I think I would rather have a solid wood gun storage unit that looked like furniture or a "built In" than a standard metal safe that is just out in the open

Cinder Block filled with rebar and concrete, HomeDepot steel door and frame, couple dead bolts.
One advantage to a wooden safe would be low cost though. A few trips to Home Depot adds up to a good steel safe. I've got the plywood and construction adhesive so that's a good start.
I like the idea of a layer of concrete/tile etc. Again the weak spot would be the door/hinges.
I'm thinking traditional door/hinges & lock of choice, but a hidden, slide out or lift up across the inside door, bar or bolt.

I'm surprised youtube hasn't an example even close to a "real" wooden safe. Probably because an effective one would price out twice as much as a steel one!LOL
This might be a project for a Contractor with a lot of materials lying around. For now I think I'll build the gun cabinet and go from there.

If you change your mind and decide you want to pursue a wood strong box let me know and I'd be happy to build you some heavy duty hinges and latch dirt cheap (like you pay for the materials and buy me lunch) I try to help out where I can ;)

I'm all the way down near Eugene and don't get up that way too often but thanks Monstermetal. This will be one of my slow projects anyway. The basic cabinet may never get done the way I procrastinate!

my grampa uses an old wood and glass rifle cabinet and it works just fine. only had to be told once at a young to never touch it without being explicitly directed to do so. the damn thing is so good it doesnt even need a lock.

My grandfather had the same thing, plus a couple shotguns that sat by the front door. He never even had to tell us not to mess with them, common sense said not to mess with grandpa's stuff. Remember when people had common sense?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top