JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A buddy of mine shared this video. Bit of an eye opener. I knew there were probably a select few who were "prepping" like this but I'm now wondering how common it is. The mindset alone is disturbing but to put plans in place???? It's hard for me to imagine people that malevolent. Perhaps I'm wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I'd love some input as far as what you guys have run into, meeting other people? Is it a real threat? Is it gonna be common for others to just show up and take that have been training to do just that?

I know that they'll be the newest "top dog" or the bully that comes knocking but to think there are people out there strictly training for just that is crazy to think for me. Let me know I'm genuinely interested!

Yes, it's a real threat.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about this problem. He's a veteran and has more insight into these things than I do. Here are two scenarios that he brought up for discussion.

Scenario 1: A gang of of cutthroats sends a little girl to my door, begging for a meal. My wife and I bring the child in, feed her, and give her a bag of rice and beans to take back to her "family".

Now, the marauders know that we have food - and even have enough to share. They shoot us from a distance, and then come loot our home.

Scenario 2: During the first few weeks of societal collapse, groups of marauders form, killing and looting in the areas near them.

As resources get more and more scarce, these groups start killing each other off. The result is a smaller number of marauding gangs, but now they have honed their skills. They begin to roam further afield, looking for targets.

By the time they're going out into the rural areas, they're very experienced and lethal.

If that kind of group shows up at a little farmhouse like mine, with an old couple trying to defend the place by themselves, they won't have much trouble killing the farmer and his wife.

The only solution, it seems, is to be part of a prepper group in which there are experienced soldiers. The farm can become part of a larger network of preppers, with everyone pitching in to help maintain and defend each other's property.

I hope and pray that the Good Lord will protect us - but I'm also taking steps to do my part in the defense of hearth & home.

One thing that I have not heard much discussion about is the "Official Gang". Those who show up in uniform, and attempt to confiscate food, guns, etc "for the greater good". Maybe they represent a nearby town, or maybe they're feds…. Either way, they will claim to represent the Authorities.

This kind of thing is very difficult for me to consider in depth. I'm basically an old softie - except for those days when I become 'Grumpy Howard'.

Last Edited:
There are a lot more people than you might think whose "plan" is to take from others in this kind of scenario, but there is a big difference between thinking "I'll just take someone else's stuff" and actively training and practicing to do so. The first category is probably what most of these people fall into. I suspect this group will end up preying mostly on victims of opportunity, and only after learning some hard lessons along the way. The second is a much smaller subset, but I would consider them more dangerous because they're thinking through up front how best to take from other potentially hardened targets, not just reacting to base instincts or a sudden opportunity to gain by force. They are more likely to surveil, gather intel, analyze risk/reward of engagement, plan ambushes and raids, concoct schemes to draw defenders away from their supplies, etc.

For either type I suspect a brutal Darwinian process will unfold when they encounter those who are willing and able to use deadly force to protect themselves, their families, and their supplies. However, that same process will hit the defenders as well - small mistakes will be identified and exploited by the "takers", and less-prepared folks will suffer the consequences. Good opsec will be essential, as will having a plan to deal with different scenarios (people in need, roving band of thugs, "official" forces, etc). Having backup caches would also be prudent as an insurance policy if forced to flee, or as a means of helping the needy without exposing your primary stockpile.

There are a lot more people than you might think whose "plan" is to take from others in this kind of scenario, but there is a big difference between thinking "I'll just take someone else's stuff" and actively training and practicing to do so. The first category is probably what most of these people fall into. I suspect this group will end up preying mostly on victims of opportunity, and only after learning some hard lessons along the way. The second is a much smaller subset, but I would consider them more dangerous because they're thinking through up front how best to take from other potentially hardened targets, not just reacting to base instincts or a sudden opportunity to gain by force. They are more likely to surveil, gather intel, analyze risk/reward of engagement, plan ambushes and raids, concoct schemes to draw defenders away from their supplies, etc.

For either type I suspect a brutal Darwinian process will unfold when they encounter those who are willing and able to use deadly force to protect themselves, their families, and their supplies. However, that same process will hit the defenders as well - small mistakes will be identified and exploited by the "takers", and less-prepared folks will suffer the consequences. Good opsec will be essential, as will having a plan to deal with different scenarios (people in need, roving band of thugs, "official" forces, etc). Having backup caches would also be prudent as an insurance policy if forced to flee, or as a means of helping the needy without exposing your primary stockpile.
The James Wesley, Rawles novel series, Patriots, has a couple good chapters in the first book of the series on just these sorts of scenarios.
I have read the first two books of the series (probably all you really need to read). They read like novels, but they're actually prepper manuals in disguise.

Any "Wolf" band will suffer attrition in action. This is inevitable when attacking truly prepared survivors. The band will have to recruit new members and assimilate them into its plan of action. This takes away from scouting out new victims and preparing for the attack. It is reasonable to expect that efficiency of action will suffer as time goes on. At some point, the band will become ineffective against truly prepared survivors. At that point, they will either wither away, or or die while attacking a well-defended target.

Somebody whispered the magic word the other day...

Oh, the humanity! How the world has changed in 48 hours! This morning I saw two unshaven mortgage bankers in dirty, rumpled business suits wresting over the carcass of a dead pigeon, trying to gouge each others' eyes out with their iPhones as the wind cruelly sucked the life from their bodies in the frigid winter dawn. Patrols were beefed up at the entrances to gated communities to ward off road warrior-like bands of foraging soccer moms in post-apocalyptic mini vans. People who only 48 hours ago were in line at Starbuck's for a $6 cup of coffee now run the streets like deranged baboons, accosting total strangers, asking for spare change with which to feed their hungry, hollow-eyed children. The thin veneer of civilization has been peeled from the collective psyche to expose a gaping wound that oozes fear and loathing. It all began when Yellen uttered the fateful word "Recession".

I have a few words for the American investor. For God's sake people! Get a grip! Something like 95% of all mortgages are reported as being current. The bulk of any lay-offs so far have come in the media industry where they are well deserved. Goldman Sachs reports that they are doing quite nicely, never better as a matter of fact. We have seen some private industry lay-offs "in anticipation of the coming recession", as if that made any sense at all. I guess if you are out of work it's the normal business cycle, but when your banker is out of work it's a RECESSION!

3 million Vet's since Iraq #2 and Afghanistan, Not counting the OG's from before.

I truly believe that F-tard's are only alive because we , as ex-soldiers allow it.

Anyone remember the term Violence of Action ?

If you have never served or had family that did, It basically means overwhelming fire, everything and everyone die's in the kill box.
Until you hit the LOA you can double tap them on the ground. And it's not against the law of land warfare.

We don't have to worry about them , We take care of our own ,the old and the sick.
And we will take care of them if we are forced too.

Last Edited:
We can all scoff at this and think how lazy and horrific the idea is... but objectively listen to what the guy says in the post.... he isnt wrong.

HE may or may not be some badass who can take on whomever he chooses, etc... but that doesn't mean that there arent thousands of people out there who are thinking this way and wont hesitate to act accordingly.

Survival is going to be luck of the draw out there... whether you are trying to lay low or trying to go out all bandido ... few things can guarantee survival... especially in a firefight, sure you can obtain some advantages, but when bullets start flying, anything can happen.

Look what people are willing to kill over right now, in a time of near universal abundance! IF... and I mean IF, bubblegum ever goes down... no one will be ready for it.
All you can do is plan and prepare for that possibility and hope for the best... anyone who states for a fact that they will come out on top and be unscathed, surviving into the new dawn is full of bubblegum... dont care if its Mr. UberPrepper and his band of well armed rural brethren or this bubbleguming goon who thinks he will survive solely by force.

I highly recommend this series of books. Post apocalyptic, set in the Portland, Salem, Astoria, Newport area. Uses landmarks we all know, and develops a post apocalyptic event scenario that's very realistic. Raiding for supplies, ammo as currency, organized bands of marauders and former official forces. The author even throws in some CCP invaders who get their just desserts. It's a good read, though the characters are a little two dimensional.

I highly recommend this series of books.
I've heard of that book series... but... are they done yet? o_O

From what I heard, the big gripe was being one of those "cliffhanger" series. A big story build up and no resolution. You have to wait until the next book in the series to drop. You then get your finish to the previous book and then builds up to the next cliffhanger. Rinse and repeat.

Any truth to that?

I can't stand that B.S. kind of marketing and don't plan on cracking a page of it until the series reaches it's conclusion. I'm not getting any younger and don't want to start a read I might not get to finish.:s0140:

I've heard of that book series... but... are they done yet? o_O

From what I heard, the big gripe was being one of those "cliffhanger" series. A big story build up and no resolution. You have to wait until the next book in the series to drop. You then get your finish to the previous book and then builds up to the next cliffhanger. Rinse and repeat.

Any truth to that?

I can't stand that B.S. kind of marketing and don't plan on cracking a page of it until the series reaches it's conclusion. I'm not getting any younger and don't want to start a read I might not get to finish.:s0140:
I thought it reached its conclusion, but I could be wrong. I think all 11 books are out now.

I hear ya! One of the many reasons I hate TV series and won't watch 'em until the series concludes! :s0140:

I hear ya! One of the many reasons I hate TV series and won't watch 'em until the series concludes! :s0140:
Yup. I've never been a movie or TV person. I can probably count on my hands and feet the total number of movies I've watched in my lifetime. TV programs hold no interest whatsoever.

I DO think it's highly entertaining though to listen to people whine about their favorite TV program that left them on a cliffhanger... and were then cancelled by the network. I'm no glutton for punishment and can't say I'm much a fan of most types of interruptus.

To each their own, though. ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews