JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's too bad, and we're not even Wise foods fans.

Seems folks don't understand the difference between "survival", and going out for McBurgers & Starplucks every day.

Survival is just that. Not starving.

Want more calories pp /day? Buy more food. Best is to simply learn how to make your own...

I've seen a small can of soup or other packaged food with painfully obvious lies like: 6 servings per can when the can of soup wouldn't adequately feed 1 person.

So, if Wise is sued due in part to the this type nonsense, why aren't all the other lying food producers also getting sued?

Or, is their day coming?...I hope...

The portions are ridiculously small with all of that stuff but they are going by calorie content. As stated above though, it's survival food, not a trip to the Chinese buffet.

The portions are ridiculously small with all of that stuff but they are going by calorie content. As stated above though, it's survival food, not a trip to the Chinese buffet.
On the other hand, in actual survival or backpacking trips, especially thru-hikers.. the caloric needs are much different than making the foods at home and eating leisurely :rolleyes:
With that said... they seem to follow the 2,000 calorie diet per person guidelines.. I think its so they don't get sued for being too fattening :rolleyes:

So many survival food servings presume a person at rest or near rest in normal circumstances so they can push the meal count.

My "favorite" are the people who sell blocks of lifeboat rations as three day meal kits, when they are bare bones rations for a person sitting at rest in a lifeboat. Those aren't enough for any other purpose.

Somebody stockpiling food needs to allow a decent calorie count for each meal, and inspect what they are storing for the calorie count.

Stockpiling the bare minimum of 2k calories is a surefire way to run out of food faster than expected, especially if you are using it in inclement weather, or periods of more physical activity than normal.

I have to guess anyone who ever bothers to read the "serving per" thinks it's a joke. It is done to make the food more appealing to those counting the calories. The can of soup that claims 100 per serving "sounds great" if someone thinks this is how to lose weight. Of course if they don't bother to read that is 1/5th of the can, then eat two cans, well kind of missing the boat. Gov required them to put the info there. So they all started to make it "sound better". That someone would get sued for this shows how well the dumbing down has worked. People who sue claiming they are too stupid to read and comprehend so they got "taken advantage of".
I like the Mountain House stuff better but I am not planning on pushing the limit on how long it stores. Stuff is "emergency food". Keep some along with just plain caned goods. If we have that big shake here and all is shut down we would eat for a week or two no problem. Many have become so damn ruined that if McD's all shut down for two days they would take to the streets screaming they are starving. Humans can live a long time with little food. Water is what is a problem very fast. So many are so helpless now that it will be sad to see what happens if the damn grocery stores close for a week.

I have to guess anyone who ever bothers to read the "serving per" thinks it's a joke. It is done to make the food more appealing to those counting the calories. The can of soup that claims 100 per serving "sounds great" if someone thinks this is how to lose weight. Of course if they don't bother to read that is 1/5th of the can, then eat two cans, well kind of missing the boat. Gov required them to put the info there. So they all started to make it "sound better". That someone would get sued for this shows how well the dumbing down has worked. People who sue claiming they are too stupid to read and comprehend so they got "taken advantage of".
I like the Mountain House stuff better but I am not planning on pushing the limit on how long it stores. Stuff is "emergency food". Keep some along with just plain caned goods. If we have that big shake here and all is shut down we would eat for a week or two no problem. Many have become so damn ruined that if McD's all shut down for two days they would take to the streets screaming they are starving. Humans can live a long time with little food. Water is what is a problem very fast. So many are so helpless now that it will be sad to see what happens if the damn grocery stores close for a week.
That's when the hordes of zombies start wandering around asking for your food because the didn't bother to think ahead. It will be interesting times, for sure.

Stuff is "emergency food"

I despise that way of thinking. Relegating subpar performance to "emergency use" is the best way to make an emergency more miserable. If you wouldn't settle for that level of food quality, variety, calorie count or other aspect of it in day to day life, why settle for it in an emergency when food is far more important?

I see this a lot, accepting less in the name of "well it's for an emergency." IMHO that's a crappy way of doing it. My preps provide my same calorie intake, a number of foods I enjoy, and even some extra small treats to ease the stress of emergency.

I find no value in hunkering over a campfire with some hardtack and semi cooked beans, patting myself on the back for being equipped for an "emergency".

I despise that way of thinking. Relegating subpar performance to "emergency use" is the best way to make an emergency more miserable. If you wouldn't settle for that level of food quality, variety, calorie count or other aspect of it in day to day life, why settle for it in an emergency when food is far more important?

I see this a lot, accepting less in the name of "well it's for an emergency." IMHO that's a crappy way of doing it. My preps provide my same calorie intake, a number of foods I enjoy, and even some extra small treats to ease the stress of emergency.

I find no value in hunkering over a campfire with some hardtack and semi cooked beans, patting myself on the back for being equipped for an "emergency".
Some people don't have the room to keep a well stocked pantry of normal rations, or don't have the inclination to think in those terms. So the big companies sell the convenience of a 72 hour bucket or X amount of servings. The marketing works and I don't think it's unreasonable. It is what it is.

I'm sure @Alexx1401 will now make plans to carry ice cream, cookies, his entire garden and a live prime beef cow on his back when shtf.
Me? I'll continue with the "emergency food" as I've been taught. It's worked quite well so far.

Serving sizes are no different than the ratings for rafts. A 6 man raft as near as I can tell is two men in the raft and 4 guys hanging for dear life to the outside of the raft.

I'm sure @Alexx1401 will now make plans to carry ice cream, cookies, his entire garden and a live prime beef cow on his back when shtf.
Me? I'll continue with the "emergency food" as I've been taught. It's worked quite well so far.

You don't have to go overboard to have a better quality of life in a emergency, but you don't have to cling to some idea of needful suffering and acceptable lower quality in an emergency.

There is a rational, reasonable place in the middle that provides sufficient calories, food variety, and even small comforts that should be attainable by most anyone.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top