JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a book on Winchester and found it fascinating as I explore the business of firearms. Many business owners invest a great deal of their own money into their business.

The pioneer of the lever action, Henry, was in debt to Winchester for in today's money approximately $60k. I wonder what he did. He was the Superintendent at Winchester. Guess he was working off his debt? Thought it was an interesting story and wanted to share.

The manufacturing aspect changed in 1961 and in a way indicates a change in American ideals and a focus on profit over quality. Recently, Winchester quality has seemed to improve with production in Moroku where Browning is made. Japan has a skilled labor force where the US is struggling with STEM. (science technology engineering math)

Please feel free to add or clarify. I am hoping to make a school lesson about the topic of American values and firearms.

Show below is a 1961 Winchester 30-30 and a modern Winchester Trapper 45LC.
Note: All items shown are available for sale.

Winchester.jpg Winchester1.jpg Winchester2.jpg

I agree about the greed part with the manufactures but the other aspect is Americans became obsessed with cheap goods as well.

Why pay more for a beautiful walnut stock when a birch stock would do the job and be cheaper or why pay for beautiful bluing when a phosphate finish is cheaper. Both these items cost more to manufacture and required more labor.

This did not happen over night but through a generation my father when he was still alive would cringe when I brought home a rifle or shotgun that looked cheap as he grew up with a Remington wing master and I bought the express with the birch stock phosphate finish as it was 200 dollars cheaper at the time.

I do not feel that Americans cannot do the work but that Americans will not pay the cost to do it.

We all want top dollar wages yet we all want cheap products and you cannot have both.

The Moroku guns are beautiful and the fit is great but at 1000 dollars for a hunting rifle that will get scratched up and beat up is hard to justify.

So in my opinion it was not just the manufactures greed but the Americans want for cheap goods that led to the down fall.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top