JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While shooting my Winchester 94 yesterday, the magazine tube started gradually sliding forward (see "overbite" below) until it came almost completely undone. The tube was loose when I bought the rifle and I was told this is normal, in order to accommodate thermal expansion, improve accuracy, and avoid putting pressure points on the bbl.

When I got home I re-attached the magazine with a 1-1/4 turn of a small flathead screwdriver on both barrel bands. Now it is firm, and the action feels strong. It is much easier to load and cycles much more solidly than before. There is however, no play at all in the magazine.

My question is, did I just "ruin" the accuracy of this rifle by tightening the barrel bands? I don't see how I can avoid the magazine coming loose again otherwise.

Many thanks in advance,

Win94.JPG

All should be tight. It's not like it's a free floating barrel?
So how would a magazine of ammo hanging loose below the barrel help accuracy?

That and usually when parts start to fall off a gun. Then it's time to tightened them up.
You did good.

I would have to think that you were being "Fed a line" by whoever sold you the rifle. A dab of RED LocTite on the threads of the two Screws is what I would use. Clean the threads first.

I would have to think that you were being "Fed a line" by whoever sold you the rifle. A dab of RED LocTite on the threads of the two Screws is what I would use. Clean the threads first.

Maybe Blue locktite?
The screw heads and slots are pretty small and shallow. And could be damaged when removing to work on the stock or gun if Red is used.

I don't even find I need blue. I just snug them up and they hold well. They have a pretty fine pitch.

Last Edited:
All should be tight. It's not like it's a free floating barrel?
So how would a magazine of ammo hanging loose below the barrel help accuracy?

That and usually when parts start to fall off a gun. Then it's time to tightened them up.
You did good.

*Phew*, thanks for the response fellas, I feel much better now. Common sense right? Not knowing anything about lever rifles, I thought maybe I had purchased a lemon. I just wanted to be sure.

I'm going to put some blue loctite on there after work, so it doesn't work itself free again.

RED LocTite is still what I recommend mainly because you are likely never to "Have" to take the rifle that far apart. And, because even Red will come loose when heated slightly. :):):)

I vote for no loctite at first - they are shallow threads and even if you're not likely to remove it, one day you should.

IF, and only if, it starts to loosen again, would I use blue loctite, nothing else, red is a crazy amount of overkill, this is a mag tube, not a barrel!

Usually the problem is getting the screws loose without buggering up the slots.
You might want to take a close look at them and see if the threads aren't worn or damaged.

Just snug the threads. Loctite shouldn't be necessary. That barrel will never (without insane amounts of work) be free-floating. But of the half dozen or so Model 94's I've owned and the countless others that have come through various shops I've worked, those screws backing out has never been an issue (without help).

I understand the instinct to put loctite on everything, but it just isn't always necessary. In this case, it is normal to need to remove that tube from time to time. They get dirty, springs wear out, and tubes get dented.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads