JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

So I got a great 1906 from a pawn shop the other day. It actually shoots great! But there are two issues with it that I can see. #1 is that the last round fails to eject. It just stops up the action until I remove it manually, and #2 more often than not when I pump it the bolt doesn't push the hammer back hard enough to trip the sear and engage the trigger so it slips and stops on the half cock safety. Any ideas? Does it need some new springs? Just a good cleaning?

Thanks!

These are great plinkers it's hard to beat a pump for some 22 fun.
How worn is the hammer on top where the bolt slides over the top of it? If it is fairly worn this would indicate a lot of usage and maybe with the wear there isn't enough height to cock it correctly, the extractor may be equally worn. If those parts check out ok then as stated above a good cleaning can do wonders.

Starting with a good cleaning is always advisable for a 100+ year old gun to remove gunk and grime.

Take a look at the extractor "hook" to see if it is chipped or damaged.

Win 1906 extractor.jpg

With the 1890s and 1906s, I also take a look at the lifter spring as a matter of course.

The Homestead disassembly manuals can be helpful:

Good luck OP!

If its a wear issue that gun must be very worn. I have a 1906 that is so beat it looks like some one used it to grade a very long gravel driveway. The bore looks like it wore out a few hundred stainless steel cleaning brushes and the wood is so sway back it looks like an old children s party pony. cycles just fine and out to about 75 yards will hit a Starling or pop can.

OP, all great advise above. I would like to add that when you take the gun down, check the interface between the Action Slide and the Bolt. There should be very little movement or "play". You can preview this by removing the Slide Cover on the left side of the receiver. This cover will slide forward when you remove the screw. Make sure that you have the proper screwdriver bit to remove the screw.

I'm always impressed when a relatively new member, or anyone for that matter, comes up with a question about some firearm built long ago and people are climbing all over each other to get answers and/or problems with said gun solved. :s0155: :s0155: :s0155: :s0155:

That's one one of the biggies that make this site so great!

One problem I found on these old take down Winchesters, is that when the rifles two halves are apart, the carrier lifter assembly is easily bent if dropped or improperly handled.
I had one with similar issues as yours and after examining two model 1906's side by side, I noticed that the problem guns lifter carrier lower tang was slightly bent inward, which prevented a long rifle cartridge to fully seat all the way back into the lifter. Long or short ammo would still chamber and eject.
I pried the upper lifer tang back apart to match the other rifle. Problem solved.

1657893932503.png

Last Edited:
Here are some photos. The hammer looks to have some wear on the top. If you are brisk with pumping it, it usually works fine, but if your slow it slips. The extractor looks worn to me. And the pump has a lot of play in it.

677B0BB8-CC10-4214-98CB-ED46201604F6.jpeg 9136DAD1-D99A-45B6-B2DE-8B7C9D60B0B1.jpeg 4CC7DF9F-6A6B-49FE-979C-3BA6F02AD415.jpeg 53EF6AA2-615B-4D65-9B96-42E455B45DF1.jpeg 33494973-174F-4868-9DDD-012E323B7FB8.jpeg 355398F6-55E7-4256-A35B-CC58539280E7.jpeg 94BC0613-9897-4264-87D4-F032EF992B40.jpeg

I'm not by a big monitor to see photos but it looks like:

- there is still what looks to be a lot of grunge in the area behind the extractor. If so, a more thorough cleaning is needed. Having said that the action appears dry in the photos - oil her up Scottie.

- does the top part of the extractor hook have a chip? If so, either file or replace

- is the bottom part of the chamber opening slightly deformed? If so, maybe a chamber swage is in order.

GENERAL NOTICE - I am not a gunsmith. Seek appropriate professional help where needed. ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top