JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First of all the "nots"! Not fording rivers, climbing rock, or moving boulders. Jeep is used off road, mostly on trails. Want to be able to move fallen tree if trail is blocked, self-rescue from most situations, retrieve game from ravines, and drag a pretty rock back to the Jeep for my wife. Jeep isn't lifted and we don't sport 33 inch tires. Thinking 8000 lbs. adequate, want wireless remote, and synthetic line.. Looked at Smittybuilt and Superwinch. Seeing lots of brands I don't recognize. Oh yeah! How about front bumper suggestions? Or rear bumper with receiver hitch built in? Stock 2015 Jeep Sport Wrangler with 16 inch tires.

First of all the "nots"! Not fording rivers, climbing rock, or moving boulders. Jeep is used off road, mostly on trails. Want to be able to move fallen tree if trail is blocked, self-rescue from most situations, retrieve game from ravines, and drag a pretty rock back to the Jeep for my wife. Jeep isn't lifted and we don't sport 33 inch tires. Thinking 8000 lbs. adequate, want wireless remote, and synthetic line.. Looked at Smittybuilt and Superwinch. Seeing lots of brands I don't recognize. Oh yeah! How about front bumper suggestions? Or rear bumper with receiver hitch built in? Stock 2015 Jeep Sport Wrangler with 16 inch tires.
Believe it or not the offroaders say the Harbor Freight winch is the best bang for the buck if you go cheap. Get a snatch block or two to double the pulling capacity and you're golden. I've got one for my quad but haven't had (gotten :) ) to use it yet.

...offroaders say the Harbor Freight winch is the best bang for the buck if you go cheap.
I've heard the same thing. I even went so far as to watch several YouTube video "torture" tests where the HF unit did very well. One (video) which was particularly entertaining was where a guy used one on an Ebay-sourced winch bumper to lift his 4Runner off the ground vertically.

I'd like to hear what you decide and how it works for you... there's a winch in my XJ's future but I've been undecided about which one too. I try REAL hard to buy American (or at least Non-Chinese) but I ain't exactly made outta money.

I've heard the same thing. I even went so far as to watch several YouTube video "torture" tests where the HF unit did very well. One (video) which was particularly entertaining was where a guy used one on an Ebay-sourced winch bumper to lift his 4Runner off the ground vertically.

I'd like to hear what you decide and how it works for you... there's a winch in my XJ's future but I've been undecided about which one too. I try REAL hard to buy American (or at least Non-Chinese) but I ain't exactly made outta money.
Will try to remember to send pictures.

I like to buy rigs new and keep them for 15 years or more.

Thinking new jeep I have to consider the new Bronco.
I want 33'' tires at minimum. And would love the Bronco with factory 35'' tires.

Locking differentials are a must also. [ My current truck has one in the rear. And it's a handy tool ].
So Rubicon jeep or Big foot package Bronco.

I hate the prices of new rigs these days.
But it bothers me more to not get the set up and features I want.

Especially in you plan to live with it that way for 15+ years.

Last pickup kept 11 years, till upgraded to diesel to pull fifth wheel. Had recently rebuilt the whole front end. Not a mechanic, but You tube and the right tool and patience got the job done. Had planned on keeping it. Kept another rig on the road for 15 years. Was still running strong when I sold it. Planning on Jeep being a long term keeper, especially here in the desert.

Last pickup kept 11 years, till upgraded to diesel to pull fifth wheel. Had recently rebuilt the whole front end. Not a mechanic, but You tube and the right tool and patience got the job done. Had planned on keeping it. Kept another rig on the road for 15 years. Was still running strong when I sold it. Planning on Jeep being a long term keeper, especially here in the desert.

Then save the money and buy it set up the way you want.
I went through several rigs compromising. And always sold them too soon.

My truck now is like new at 15 year old, with almost 100k on it. [I have other cars to drive on road.]
I use the truck for hunting and off road trips. Guess I was overlanding before it was a thing?

Also I do all my own work. Have all my life.
And my labour rates are cheep.

As to Jeep. I can't say I like the idea of a 6 cylinder. I'd prefer a V8 .
Rumor is a Jeep V8 is on the way.

Time will tell.

Last Edited:
Grandparents got a WW2 "willy jeep" in early 50's for use on guest ranch in western Nebraska. Came with 4 cylinder. As a little kid it was a favorite ride as it crept around the ranch. No need for speed and sure beat walking. Cousin in Colorado still has that little Jeep. The 2015 came with the six. Absolutely didn't want to have anything to do with a four. The six has plenty or power for driving the highway. My age and bad back don't require more power to abuse trails or abuse the Jeep. Good fuel economy, low end torque and don't have the extra weight of a V-8. Used to take V-8 half ton pick-ups places I won't risk driving my 3/4 ton diesel four wheel drive. Too much experience getting stuck, having to dig out or chain up.

Most notable accomplishment (other than the occasional prius in a snowbank) was pulling out a buddy in a giant lifted F350 crew cab out of a early summer snowbank. Thought he could make it and just crashed through and dropped 24". Snatch block, other end to a tree, and jeep in gear with lockers on and we got him out.....barely. Did not burn up the transmission! :D It was all designed to work together so it went on fast.

My opinion that nobody likes: buy a Warn anyway. Yes, they're expensive. For a reason. I've had the joy of watching my good friend go through several "just as good" brands with his gooseneck trailer and they've all had significant problems. Bent cases/frames, burnt motors, fried relays, corrosion on internals despite o rings, cables that would not roll in nicely, causing a lot of back and forth to fix bunching and binding.......

He definitely has a Smittybuilt and a superwinch. And a couple "off brands" I can't remember. They all crapped out. The amount of money he spent experimenting far, far outweighs the cost of even the best warn, which he finally just bought anyway and seems very happy after several years.

His winches are permanently mounted on the trailer to pull full size trucks an I believe it's 15k lbs or larger. Constantly in the rain, sun, snow LONG TERM not just long enough to "torture test" brand new devices. Everything damn well better be good when it just came out of the box.

Sounds like he works his. Right tool for the job. My use will be light duty. Having said that, sure don't want to discover when I needed a reliable winch I was stranded with one that as you say, "crapped out." Will take your words under advisement. I sure don't carry a less expensive EDC for the savings of a few dollars. My other tools in the tool box are quality, not Harbor Freight except the dollar magnetic flashlights.

Whatever you decide to buy, throw the cable away and put some Amsteel on it. That stuff is amazing!!! Strong as hell, never snarls, easy to splice. No backlash, twists or kinks, it just lays where you put it.
AMSTEEL®-BLUE

Badlands brand sold at Harbor Freight.

That's the one! I have the 2500 for yanking quads out of tough spots. Or hopefully not ravines off the sides of trails. :) It was on sale for not much more than the 1500 and has wireless remote.

I also always bring a spare quad battery all charged and waiting...

The guy in this review sounds like he's had a few pops. HookTube :s0059:
Also all he does is read every side of the box, open it and list the contents.

I have a Smittybilt X20 10k (I think). I found it on sale a few years back and have been happy with it. I have it for the same reasons you want one. I had to pull a guy out a few weeks ago who had buried his stock 4runner in soft gravel while trying to turn around on a forest road. I've used it several times but it mostly sits there. It has a wireless remote but it crapped out quickly so I have to use it with the cord. Unless they've improved them, the Smittybilt remotes have a reputation for this, from what I gather. I have an old canvas bag that I keep 2 or 3 shackles, some straps, some snatchblocks, etc., in. All in all, it has been fine for me and I've had it on for about 4-5 years, I think. I am always the only truck in my party and am by myself 90+% of the time when I am out in the woods, so I bought it to increase my odds of getting out of situations like a tree falling and blocking me in a dead end road, self-recovery (though I am not a risk taker in the woods alone), etc.

I installed it when I lived in VA, and it saw a winter or two of salt. The engagement lever is pitted from that but it still seems to be holding up pretty well overall. I have plans within the next year or so to take the whole bumper off and repaint it, likely with bedliner. I'll decide then if I am going to keep the winch or replace it.

On thing I need to be better about is unspooling it a couple times a year to examine the rope. I was worried it wasn't going to be up to the task when I had to pull that last dude out.

If budget is a huge issue, look for one of those old school come-alongs. My dad always had a set or two for when the feces contacted the circulatory apparatus, and I've still used a winch less than I ever used those things. They are hard work, and I ain't a teenager anymore. They can also be really dangerous. Also, as you probably know, a hi-lift jack can be used as a winch.

This is a modern version of the ones my dad always had. The synthetic rope would make it safer and lighter. But at that price, you can almost buy an electric winch!!!

Own same Hi-Lift "handyman" for 48 years. It is well used and in excellent condition. Have heavy come along, snatch line, chains and turnbuckles and shovels. Three back surgeries since '99 and have pending appointment for 4th. Oregon surgeon wanted to fuse from L-2 to S-1. Hoping Arizona surgeon has other options. Tool wise, I need the lightest and easiest method to recover Jeep and bodies when my adventuresome nature outsmarts my wisdom.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top