JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i live in oregon near portland and found alot of these type of mushrooms in the woods near my house.

can some please tell me if these are edible and safe to eat. if you personally dont know yourself, then maybe you can ask someone you know who is an expert?

im pretty sure #1 is Fairy Ring, which is edible based own my research.

on #2, i do not know what this one is. but i picked it so hopefully someone can identify it.

thank you so much you guys

IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG

Considering the age of #2 it's hard to tell with out seeing it in person. Even then? You'd really need to show some younger specimens. In any case THOSE are not edible :D, even if that particular variety was edible.

Same problems with # 1. They are not all the same variety. Though the wavy capped one in the second pic under #1 does look like a Fairy Ring mushroom. Looking closer I'm going to say you have at least three, if not four, different species of fungus in #1.

This is the book I've been using for over 30 years.

It does have fungus from all of North America though. There are other more local books such as.

Which I don't have, but it's reported to be excellent for our area. If you're that interested, do buy a book. There are specific things you need to pay attention to to get a proper ID on mushrooms. Some are very easy and safe. Some are too scarce or aren't worth the hassle. Some are more difficult, and could be dangerous. Very few will kill you, but a fair amount may make you wish you were dead from a few hours to a few days. it's a un hooby.

I think I've got your #2...
I'll say "Poison Pax" "Paxillus Involutus"
Paxillus involutus – Mushrooms Up! Edible and Poisonous Species of Coastal BC and the Pacific Northwest

Poisonings by Paxillus species are due to the formation of antibodies against the mushrooms. Severe hemolysis and renal failure, followed by death, may occur. The severe symptoms might happen the first time these mushrooms are eaten, or after the nth time, when the threshold of antibodies is reached. Paxillus species also accumulate mercury from the soil10.

Symptoms: Cardiovascular collapse and severe stomach aches, nausea and vomiting develop a few hours after having eaten the mushrooms.

Treatment: Contact your regional Poison Control Centre if you realize you or someone you know may have been poisoned by the poison pax or its relatives. Poison centres provide free, expert medical advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If possible, save the mushrooms or some of the leftover food containing the mushrooms to help confirm identification.

I'll also say, to know for sure, you picked those near birch tree(s)? Some of the genus will also be found near poplar or alder. They look wonderful for eating when they're young. But they can kill you. I get them all over my yard because of birch tree. PIA when mowing and getting smashed in you shoes.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top