JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any recommendations for a repair place that knows what they're doing?? It's a 2016 Galaxy Tab A 10.
Done the cleaning and confirmed it's not the cable/charger.
Looking at CRP in Clackamas for a repair. We're in NE pdx just South of the airport.

Any recommendations for a repair place that knows what they're doing?? It's a 2016 Galaxy Tab A 10.
Done the cleaning and confirmed it's not the cable/charger.
Looking at CRP in Clackamas for a repair. We're in NE pdx just South of the airport.
"The" cable/charger? Try another cable and charger. They're $1 ea at the dollar store.

"The" cable/charger? Try another cable and charger. They're $1 ea at the dollar store.
Yeah, done all that. I found a place that sounds good. The repair is going to be around $95.00.
Crap. But a new tablet like hers is around $300.00- $500.00

Yeah, done all that. I found a place that sounds good. The repair is going to be around $95.00.
Ouch. I don't know much about electronics but pretty sure to do a hard reset you have to disconnect/reconnect the battery in case it's a software issue?
Calling @The Heretic ?

Ouch. I don't know much about electronics but pretty sure to do a hard reset you have to disconnect/reconnect the battery in case it's a software issue?
Calling @The Heretic ?
No, it's not a software issue. Did all the restarts and safe mode stuff. No battery disconnect though. Under the light with my magnifying glass it looks funky in the port. The GREAT guy at CRP said there are 4 pins. Looks to me like there's only three. Gotta figure this tablet is 6 years old, and gets pugged in every night and day, more than once. So...

No, it's not a software issue. Did all the restarts and safe mode stuff. No battery disconnect though. Under the light with my magnifying glass it looks funky in the port. The GREAT guy at CRP said there are 4 pins. Looks to me like there's only three. Gotta figure this tablet is 6 years old, and gets pugged in every night and day, more than once. So...

?

If it was me? Repair is 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of new on one that old? I would toss it and buy new. Things change so fast with electronics that she would probably be a lot happier with the newest model. If you do want to get it fixed that price sounds about normal for a shop. One of those things that is a real easy fix IF you know what you are doing and have the tools. So much of this stuff is just tossed now that probably not many around any more who fix it :(

Don't know a damn thing about them but following up on alex1401's post I saw this fwiw:

207750F1-4BC8-4753-A93E-64908E0A7E69.png
96B06B62-1ED4-4A44-A548-5D4C9C77178D.png
FACF9383-0ECE-4499-8375-093FDE20F8CB.png

I've replaced a number of ports in the past, but that one... I wouldn't touch it. Too many solder points and the likelihood of damaging the PCB is too great.

I'm in the replace it camp. 6yr old device... it's not worth the price, although $95 isn't all that bad considering how deep you have to go into it just to get to the port. If you DO decide to go the repair route, you're likely well served to have the battry replaced at the same time. It's gotta be at fairly low capacity after the usage you described.

I've replaced a number of ports in the past, but that one... I wouldn't touch it. Too many solder points and the likelihood of damaging the PCB is too great.

I'm in the replace it camp. 6yr old device... it's not worth the price, although $95 isn't all that bad considering how deep you have to go into it just to get to the port. If you DO decide to go the repair route, you're likely well served to have the battry replaced at the same time. It's gotta be at fairly low capacity after the usage you described.
I don't think you can get Samsung batteries, just knockoffs and they all suck.

For now it's going to be the repair. Thanks @Certaindeaf ! I wondered about that battery. the tablet still has very good battery life. I've taught her about proper battery care. Dont run a battery dead. And NEVER leave a battery sitting discharged.
I saw those ads too. With as much stuff as she has on the thing, and neither of us knowing how to transfer. I normally would be the the guy that buys new. Hope I'm not kicking myself in three months.:oops:

Mike I dont know you or your wife. But I know my wife, and she's had the same issue more than once.
And the cause has been when she plugs or unplugs it she doesn't just pull straight out. She wiggles
the damn thing back and forth as she plugs/unplugs it. Wears the hell outta the port way before it's
time. Don't want you thinking I'm accusing your wife of the same thing.

Mike I dont know you or your wife. But I know my wife, and she's had the same issue more than once.
And the cause has been when she plugs or unplugs it she doesn't just pull straight out. She wiggles
the damn thing back and forth as she plugs/unplugs it. Wears the hell outta the port way before it's
time. Don't want you thinking I'm accusing your wife of the same thing.
That's entirely possible man! :s0114: Being mechanically inclined myself, I originally saw that stoopid, delicate charging plug being a problem. Wifey's no bull in a china shop with stuff, but I don't think she "Feels" it like I do. It may be a miracle it lasted six years! :D

So, I'm just gonna get her a new Samsung A8 10.5" with 64 GB for $199.00. I'm calling it an early Christmas present! Best thing is they use a relatively NEW plug! A "USB-C". I'm told they are more durable than the old one.

GOOD TIMES!

That's entirely possible man! :s0114: Being mechanically inclined myself, I originally saw that stoopid, delicate charging plug being a problem. Wifey's no bull in a china shop with stuff, but I don't think she "Feels" it like I do. It may be a miracle it lasted six years! :D

So, I'm just gonna get her a new Samsung A8 10.5" with 64 GB for $199.00. I'm calling it an early Christmas present! Best thing is they use a relatively NEW plug! A "USB-C". I'm told they are more durable than the old one.

GOOD TIMES!
I'm of the opinion that the manufactures of cell phones, tablets, etc. ought to
get together and make a universal charging system that fits all devices. But. . . . .
it ain't a gonna happen.

I'm of the opinion that the manufactures of cell phones, tablets, etc. ought to
get together and make a universal charging system that fits all devices. But. . . . .
it ain't a gonna happen.
The gentleman I was talking to at the repair shop said the government was trying to force Apple to go to the USB-C plug, like, apparently, everyone else has. They should all be the same.

It's the right time of year for replacement, electronics will be on decent discounts for the rest of the month at least. Most, if not all, of the Samsungs have a microsd port. Can add a mountain of storage capacity for not much money at all, beats paying the extortion you get from Apple in particular, for built in storage

It's the right time of year for replacement, electronics will be on decent discounts for the rest of the month at least. Most, if not all, of the Samsungs have a microsd port. Can add a mountain of storage capacity for not much money at all, beats paying the extortion you get from Apple in particular, for built in storage
Her current tablet has the micro SD. And, of course we have the adaptor so we can see, I presume(?), what's on it on my PC.

My heavily used five year old Samsung note 9 phone has 600 gb internal storage and the battery is still humping along fine.
I have no wifi and download movies to it and cast or cable it to my TV.
I use it constantly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads