JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would hazard a WAG and say to 40SW doesn't land as far away due to possibly lower pressure since it doesn't shoulder to the chamber like the 10mm.... :s0092:
Shorter cases will spin more while longer cases will be thrown farther. I've shot 9mm out of a 38 super barrel. At the same velocity, the 9mm flew a few feet. The 38SC went about 8-9 feet.

Last Edited:
I was selling a glock 29sf here and stated that it could shoot both 10mm and .40. The mods closed it down and I got flamed. People are very opinionated about the matter, though few have tried it themseves. I put a good amount of .40 through that glock and it ran fine. I would do it again.

When I owned my G20, I ran 500 rounds of .40 without a single issue. I can't recommend anyone else doing it but if I owned another G20 I wouldn't hesitate to shoot .40 through it.

Did anyone do .380 through 9mm yet or should I start my own thread for that ? ;-)

I'm thinking about reloading 9mm and use all my range pickups collected through the years ~ 4K. But there's quite a bit of .380 in there. Silly 8/100" difference. Very hard to spot compared to 40/45

Did anyone do .380 through 9mm yet or should I start my own thread for that ? ;-)

I'm thinking about reloading 9mm and use all my range pickups collected through the years ~ 4K. But there's quite a bit of .380 in there. Silly 8/100" difference. Very hard to spot compared to 40/45

Go for it. Post the results and pics.

I have that 1911 double stack 10mm you are drooling all over. I built mine, but you can buy them now a days. I shot several mags of .40 S/W through it and had no issues what so ever! It doesn't foul and doesn't beat up brass! Mine throws 10 mm brass about 15 feet or so and .40 about 6 feet. I figure its a pressure deal!
Para ord used to make a super 10 long slide and a super hawg double stack. Now I think they quit making 10mm but the .40 can be re barreled in 10 mm but you have to use a ramped barrel. I see Smith and wesson now offer a double stack as does Rock Island! I think there are a few others but I haven't been looking!
I have had some issues with recent batches of 10 mm ammo, Hornady seams to show damage to brass, as does winchester. Others seam ok and reload with no issues! I lean on mine hard and havn't had pressure issues or case expansion or primer strike issues that would indicate the pressure limits. I do not re load .40 I just keep it in case its all I have. Last time there was an ammo shortage, 10 mm prices went way north of sane, so I picked up what .40 I could and was fine with it for plinking!

Yes, you can run .380 in a 9 mm. I use to do it all the time back when 9 mm Kurtz wasn't very popular and prices were less hen 9 mm. ! I did see a bit of powder fouling but attribute that to cheep Rem ammo that is known to run dirty any way!
Its like the old 357 mag set up, you can run .38 in it but can not run .357 in a .38
I still have my old Ruger super six that can switch from .22 mag to .22 short and any .22 in between Just swap cylinders and go.

When I owned my G20, I ran 500 rounds of .40 without a single issue. I can't recommend anyone else doing it but if I owned another G20 I wouldn't hesitate to shoot .40 through it.
When I want to shoot 40sw in my G20 I take an empty mag and load it with 40sw and shoot. No issues. All the potential maybe might could happen issues just never happen. The link in the early posts reference competition shooters that shoot 40sw in stock G20 and zero problems. Some just like the big frame. For plinking and range practice I can buy 40sw for $15 a box or so. Local shop wants $45 for 10mm. I wanted to own the G20 but don't need the expense of 10mm to shoot in the gravel pit.

Thats about the size of it! BTW, Sportsmans had 10 mm american eagle for $ 28 somthing a box! In the PDX area I am finding 10 mm "cheepstuff" for around that price! Fishermans, cabeles, Dicks.......... Good stuff will still cost a ton, but not as bad as it was!

Well II have decided to give it a Shot! But I am buying a 40 S&W barrel for a G-27 to use in my G-29, That way I will have a proper chamber for 40 S&W with no possibilities of hurting my 10MM barrel(s). Someone on GlockTalk said my heavier 10MM slide will calm the 40 S&W a good bit, so why not try it.

Well II have decided to give it a Shot! But I am buying a 40 S&W barrel for a G-27 to use in my G-29, That way I will have a proper chamber for 40 S&W with no possibilities of hurting my 10MM barrel(s). Someone on GlockTalk said my heavier 10MM slide will calm the 40 S&W a good bit, so why not try it.

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads