JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never tried it.
Put a 10mm in my 45auto once.

IMG_1803_zps2e66b08e.jpg

There was a guy trying to sell a glock 20 that said he had ran .40 through it. Not sure if it ever sold or not. I have heard it's ok, and the projectiles are the same, along with the case dims, save for the length, but wouldn't do it on my gun. Just me.

Last Edited:
The way I see it, excessive use of 40 S&W (basically 10mm short) would erode your chamber as the rim of the cartridge is your "shoulder" for head space....

I've heard that before. I'm curious to try it, but I see no reason to make a habit of it. Besides, I prefer to shoot .40 out of a 35 ;)

The way I see it, excessive use of 40 S&W (basically 10mm short) would erode your chamber as the rim of the cartridge is your "shoulder" for head space....

I believe this could happen, but I think you would have to shoot it with .40 a LOT.
I'd be more concerned about 2 other things.
Cleaning the chamber well before shooting 10mm again because of the residue left in the front part of the chamber. The other would be that you are relying on the extractor only to hold the case in place so the firing pin could strike the primer.
Would be interesting to try anyway.

Okay, I gave it a go today. I shot 2 mags full of Armscor 10mm, followed by 2 mags loaded with some Federal .40SW.

The .40 ran 100% in my Glock 20. No problems at all. Accuracy seemed to be right on with the 10mm, of course recoil was a bit less. The main thing I noticed was the case ejection - the 10mm cases fly quite a bit. The .40 cases landed much closer to me.

I collected both the 10mm and .40 cases and both looked the same. No deformed .40 cases - I shot my Glock 35 today too and the cases looked the same out of both guns.

I took a few photos of the cases, which I'll upload to this thread a little later today.

Other that, in a pinch, I would have no problem running .40 through my Glock 20 again.

Almost forgot to post my photos. Here are some shots from the test. First photo shows the .40 on the left, 10mm on the right. Same cartridges shown loaded in the same G20 magazines in the next photo.

3rd photo shows some of the cartridges I retrieved. Honestly, I think the 10mm cases look more beat up than the .40 cases. I wonder why that would be? Any thoughts? Maybe the fact that those launched about 10' further away was part of it?

Last photo shows the chamber/bore. I compared it to my G35 I shot as well and both chambers looked about the same. No signs of any additional fouling.

Anyway, it's an interesting test. Again, I'd have no qualms about doing this again, though I wouldn't make a habit out of it since I have a G35 and can shoot my .40 out of that.

IMG_5587a.JPG IMG_5590a.JPG IMG_5594a.JPG IMG_5599a.JPG

I would hazard a WAG and say to 40SW doesn't land as far away due to possibly lower pressure since it doesn't shoulder to the chamber like the 10mm.... :s0092:

I figured that part, but what I was really curious about is why there appears to be some damage to the 10mm cases. At least that's what I saw in the photo of the cases. Maybe the brass is softer in that Armscor ammo?

I have two 10 MM a EAA Witness Match (A pleasure to shoot) and a Glock 29 (Good Gun easier to shoot than you would expect and accurate to boot) Early this year I got a Walther PPX in 40 that I really like.

I will shoot 10 in my 10's and 40 in my 40. I think they were made that way, but I have no problem shooting 38s out of a 357

I have two 10 MM a EAA Witness Match (A pleasure to shoot) and a Glock 29 (Good Gun easier to shoot than you would expect and accurate to boot) Early this year I got a Walther PPX in 40 that I really like.

I will shoot 10 in my 10's and 40 in my 40. I think they were made that way, but I have no problem shooting 38s out of a 357

I've had my eye on those EAA's in 10mm for a while. Maybe some day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top