JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, so first three are nearly perfect deer guns (some say .308 is light for long range elk), and the last is great for elk (little much for deer IMOP). My problem is still the lack of versatility with the calibers. If you have a .30-06 you have a perfect deer rifle, all the way down to possibly coyote (talked to a guy who used to load 90gr bullets for it), and a gun perfectly suited for Elk (lot of folks even used it for moose when I lived in Alaska).

My main point is that what is arguably the most virsital calibers ever in the sporting world isn't available in AR form. Think about the market that could be available for something like this. Young up and coming hunters that want something cool, curious experienced hunters who needed the excuse to buy an AR. I know some of the guys I hunt with would like one, but need it to be in a caliber that makes sense to them. For anyone who is low on cash trying to get into hunting the calibe that is almost universal is .30-06.

If they could get more shooters to use the platform, they would get more acceptance. So why not make them in one of the most popular calibers of all time?

If they could get more shooters to use the platform, they would get more acceptance. So why not make them in one of the most popular calibers of all time?

Again the .30-06 is WAY too long to fit in either an AR-15 or AR-10 magazine. If you can figure out how to get one in they will sell all day long................

To do an AR that uses longer bullet you will have to come up with a new lower, new upper, new bolt, new carrier, new magazines, new misc parts. This cost $$$$.

You are going to be looking at a base gun that cost over $2000 with mags that cost over $50. There are going to be less made. No major aftermarket parts base. No interchangeability with other AR parts.

800 meters ? wow are you serious? we are not talking about punching paper. Sure you can hit one at that range , but drop it? your really gambling with wounding and wasting a Elk.

Well there is over 1000 ft pounds of energy still at 800 meters. I personally have no interest in taking that long of a shot on any animal with any caliber. I am just pointing out that .308 is just fine, imho.

Not to mention if you know how to use your gun why would you need more than 1000 ft pounds of energy?

A decent bolt action in a caliber suitable for hunting can be had for less than 500 with a scope. An AR in a suitable caliber would be triple that, without a scope. A hunter would question the need for it, there are few times, if any, when one would need semi auto capacity and speed while hunting.

and what if the elk had laser vision and could fly? Grow the hell up. Trying to have a serious discussion here.

Oh I'm sorry...I didn't realize that everything was so hyper-serious that a sarcastic/humorous comment would make somebody pissy...Maybe you should consider decaf buddy

Also, flying elk with laser beam eyes would be terrifying and I'd definitely want something heavier than an AR to take them out...

A couple thoughts come to mind when reading this thread. One, is the fact that people bow hunt elk and take kill shots at 50 plus yards......with a bow! So, a .308 should be fine at 500 plus yards. Just make it a claen shot.
Two,last week I saw Savage bolt action .308's on sale for less than 270.00 so why pile a ton of money in special AR when you can get an off the shelf,purpose built hunting rifle?. Just MHO.

Because some don't want/like a bolt rifle, or a lever or a single shot. And maybe some don't want a cheap bolt rifle with a cheap scope. Or maybe some just want it.

And what if there is a whole flock of laser beam eyed elk coming after you.

a 308 at 500 yards? do you plan on aiming it like a mortar? maybe you can drop it straight down on top of his head and give him a headache.

Ballistic coefficient of 48 for a 168 grain bullet gives you 54 inches of drop at 300 yards and 1900 fps. At 500 a drop of between 6 and 7 feet and a velocity of 1500fps is generous.

All of my shots on game in the last 3 decades have been at or under 100 yards. guess what? I didn't spend a lot of time humping out and back to get my kill.

I guess it's the difference between hunting and doing whatever it is some of you do.

or just buy a M1 Garand and hunt with 8 rounds (you will want to make sure you get an adjustable gas piston for hunting ammo)

Not in this state! It is illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic that holds more than 5 rounds in the mag in the state of Oregon. But you can buy clips for the M1 Garand that hold less than 8 rounds. But then the M1 is not a light rifle either.

I hunt with a 30-06. The 308 and the 30-06 are nearly identical with 165gr and lighter bullets. Bullets 180gr and heavier bring out the best in the 30-06 and the 308 lags behind a bit. Not a great amount, but some. Also, I'd prefer to not be taking an unneeded shot at an elk at very long range.

a 308 at 500 yards? do you plan on aiming it like a mortar? maybe you can drop it straight down on top of his head and give him a headache.

Ballistic coefficient of 48 for a 168 grain bullet gives you 54 inches of drop at 300 yards and 1900 fps. At 500 a drop of between 6 and 7 feet and a velocity of 1500fps is generous.

All of my shots on game in the last 3 decades have been at or under 100 yards. guess what? I didn't spend a lot of time humping out and back to get my kill.

I guess it's the difference between hunting and doing whatever it is some of you do.

I disagree. Read this: 308 Winchester for Sniping

A great round for killing people, agreed, but human beings are notoriously easy to kill. Try and get your average elk to stand on his hind legs and expose his belly and chest. Since humans went bipedal they have been much easier targets, almost any hit to the torso is a kill shot without immediate medical attention.

The shots discussed in your linked page are made by a very few, very well trained, and talented individuals. You can train anyone, but a very few have the inborn talent. They also have the benefit of an unlimited supply of ammunition and time to practice.

For me it is the difference between being a hunter and a shooter. Hunting involves a skill set different from simply shooting at whatever you see. Shooting an elk(or whatever) at 500 yards involves a different set of skills (fewer) than shooting your game at 100 feet.

But I/we have gone way off track from the OP, sure an ar could be built to handle traditional calibers, but why? Obviously it has been done by several, and discontinued. Most hunters evidently realize that the cost in dollars and weight are not worth it.

BTW even at close range I would take the long action bolt gun (in magnum or not) over a .308. just for the added benefit of a heavy bullet. If you have to have a semi auto browning and remington both make fine rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top