JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I supose we did go a little OT but we are talking about a round originaly developed for hunting,adopted by the military and a common AR platform. I just wanted to point out that if the military still uses the .308 as a front line sniper round and able to hit targets effectivly at 600 to 800 yards then your point about a
"mortor shot" is incorrect because I'm pretty sure these guys are in sub MOA even at that range.
Also, like I said before. Shot placement is key. Whether it be behind the sholder of and Elk or between the body armor panels of an enemy. Stalking your prey is all in the sport of hunting but let's be honest. Sometimes you need range to get that trophy.
Back OT. I do know that Bushmaster made a 5 rd mag for hunting and yes in Oregon you are limited to hunting with 5 rds or less in your rifle(if you can't bust in the first three,go home).
I'm just planning on making my own limited 5 rd mag for hunting this year.

I supose we did go a little OT but we are talking about a round originaly developed for hunting,adopted by the military and a common AR platform. I just wanted to point out that if the military still uses the .308 as a front line sniper round and able to hit targets effectivly at 600 to 800 yards then your point about a
"mortor shot" is incorrect because I'm pretty sure these guys are in sub MOA even at that range.
Also, like I said before. Shot placement is key. Whether it be behind the sholder of and Elk or between the body armor panels of an enemy. Stalking your prey is all in the sport of hunting but let's be honest. Sometimes you need range to get that trophy.
Back OT. I do know that Bushmaster made a 5 rd mag for hunting and yes in Oregon you are limited to hunting with 5 rds or less in your rifle(if you can't bust in the first three,go home).
I'm just planning on making my own limited 5 rd mag for hunting this year.

Development of the .308 was military, the search for a compact round for rifles and machine guns started after WWI and continued until 1954 when the experimental T65 round was adopted. Winchester did release it to the public in 1952, before adoption by the military. The military system runs a little slow at times.

I still consider the 308 a bit anemic at longer ranges due to less mass. I may have overstated a bit calling it a mortar shot. But with that much bullet drop and environmental conditions, wind and thermals, will move a light bullet around a bit.

Development of the .308 was military, the search for a compact round for rifles and machine guns started after WWI and continued until 1954 when the experimental T65 round was adopted. Winchester did release it to the public in 1952, before adoption by the military. The military system runs a little slow at times.

I still consider the 308 a bit anemic at longer ranges due to less mass. I may have overstated a bit calling it a mortar shot. But with that much bullet drop and environmental conditions, wind and thermals, will move a light bullet around a bit.

Military snipers make 1,000 yard shots with bolt 7.62 NATO rifles

180 Grain bullets are pleanty heavy to kill any animal in North America. The .308 will run that heavy and with good ballistics.

308 Ballistic Link <-- is a pretty cool link with some pictures and stats on various .308 rounds.

I am not saying the .308 is THE BEST hunting round. I am saying it is a GOOD hunting round that can be easily had in the AR platform. I personally think the BEST hunting round is a 300 RUM. Just my opinion though.

Military snipers make 1,000 yard shots with bolt 7.62 NATO rifles

And your point is? If you or I had an unlimited supply of ammo, good rifles, talent, and time to practice, all on the taxpayers dime we could get good too, maybe. Again what is the point and how does it relate to the original post? It's about hunting with an AR in a larger caliber and why they don't make them.

My point is there are better rounds out there for HUNTING ANIMALS, and the 308 is minimal for HUNTING Larger ANIMALS. At around 100 yards plus or minus, where most game is taken it will perform allright, for the unusually long shots it may not do as well as others.

As I stated previously I really don't want to trek out and back a total of a mile or so to retrieve game I have shot. I am more into hunting than just shooting at things way out there.

And your point is? If you or I had an unlimited supply of ammo, good rifles, talent, and time to practice, all on the taxpayers dime we could get good too, maybe. Again what is the point and how does it relate to the original post? It's about hunting with an AR in a larger caliber and why they don't make them.

My point is there are better rounds out there for HUNTING ANIMALS, and the 308 is minimal for HUNTING Larger ANIMALS. At around 100 yards plus or minus, where most game is taken it will perform allright, for the unusually long shots it may not do as well as others.

As I stated previously I really don't want to trek out and back a total of a mile or so to retrieve game I have shot. I am more into hunting than just shooting at things way out there.

The point is obvious.. the 7.62 NATO has more capability than most any of us civvies will ever wring out of it.. so slamming the caliber is generally absurd

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top