JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had really good luck with Palmetto State stuff and receive their (several) daily emails. I just keep waiting to see a 458Socom or 450BM, or even a 50Beaowulf. If they ever start I may be short a few hundred bucks. I've been looking for the "nudge" needed to get one as I really don't have a need for it.

Because they can't find cheap Factory defect parts at discount haha :p:D

Just kidding! Love PSA!!
They've got 308 & 6.5 ? Even 224v ,
PSA only sells items in high demand / fast moving products !

You're not just looking for Big Bore but Weird bore as well. They deal in volume and Weird Bore just doesn't sell good enough.
I understand you point but I can find the big three ammo on local shelves. I'm not as determined ever since I joined a range and stopped going to the woods to shoot though. I always loved having the biggest gun to step up to the line and blast away. Still though, I'd have a hard time resisting one. I've seen great deals from Bear Creek but I just don't have any experience with them. PSA has been 100% so far for me.

I think they are shooting for what they can buy in BULK, that will sell the best for them. How many guys do you know that have a .458? How many have a 5.56 or one of the 6.5's in a large or small frame? They are trying to stock and sell what they think the majority of folks want. Then when they realize there is just too damn much of this crap laying around they send out that dreaded email:

no-psa-no-comic-324684-370248.jpg

Having said that, looky here......
PSA branded 458 Socom uppers? - AR15.COM

I think it's a demand thing. I'm not sure many folks are looking for big bore AR's. That said, I'd love a .458 Socom AR. No real need for it, just a want. If PSA does come out with an upper in .458, I might be persuaded to grab one some day.

The main daily email site that I usually see promoting all of the .458 deals is Primary Arms. Hell, they've got an Anderson .458 stripped upper on sale right now for $70.

Ray

I too have been kicking around the idea of a big bore AR but never found the right deal to justify a rarely used upper. Bear creek stuff can be ok as well but do prefer PSA over BC. Good to hear the news that PSA will be releasing the 458, as they have been pushing the 6.5 recently. That means the 458 will be sooner than later.

Time to look for some cheap dies....:rolleyes::oops:

I too have been kicking around the idea of a big bore AR but never found the right deal to justify a rarely used upper. Bear creek stuff can be ok as well but do prefer PSA over BC. Good to hear the news that PSA will be releasing the 458, as they have been pushing the 6.5 recently. That means the 458 will be sooner than later.

Time to look for some cheap dies....:rolleyes::oops:

Have you heard about them getting ready to release one? I started the thread merely as a vent. Hopefully you know something I don't know!

I would not F around with Palmetto on the rollout of a new chambering for the ar. Remember their 308 debacle? Personally, I went with a Tromix matched barrel and bolt and built an upper out. I have about $550 into the upper including a couple of of Tony's custom single groove followers for the socom. Tony Rumore the owner of Tromix is one of the originators of the 458 socom and his parts are top notch. He also sells complete uppers. Mine feeds and functions great with varied bullet profiles and both subs and supers. It is also very accurate. I could not be happier with the results. Tony is a stand up guy and actually answers his phone to provide support and has probably forgot more about the socom than psa will ever know. 2D0E049D-3709-419A-AA4D-796E88F7EB8E.jpeg 4971DB4D-1641-4E4A-B407-11411CAC84B8.jpeg

Last Edited:
I would not F around with Palmetto on the rollout of a new chambering for the ar. Remember their 308 debacle? Personally, I went with a Tromix matched barrel and bolt and built an upper out. Tony Rumore the owner of Tromix is one of the originators of the 458 socom and his parts are top notch. He also sells complete uppers. Mine feeds and functions great with varied bullet profiles and both subs and supers. It is also very accurate. I could not be happier with the results. Tony is a stand up guy and actually answers his phone to provide support and has probably forgot more about the socom than psa will ever know.View attachment 511245 View attachment 511246

I think the PSA stuff is appealing to folks who maybe can't drop as much on an upper as some other places will charge. It would be nice if we could all afford top notch, but that simply isn't the case.

But I wouldn't take a Gen 1 of anything. I will let them work out the kinks first, then be happy to dig in once that's sorted out. PSA may not be 'top notch', but I've owned plenty of their items and have yet to be disappointed in any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I am a psa fan with certain offerings. I think your approach to wait until they have some time to work things out is solid. As edited in my above post I have about $550 into my Tromix upper so we will see where the psa pricepoint starts. I am guessing $599 for a complete upper and $459 sans bcg and ch.

Don't get me wrong, I am a psa fan with certain offerings. I think your approach to wait until they have some time to work things out is solid. As edited in my above post I have about $550 into my Tromix upper so we will see where the psa pricepoint starts. I am guessing $599 for a complete upper and $459 sans bcg and ch.

Yeah, I've never been an early adopter of anything new - whether guns, electronics, phones, etc. I don't appreciate being a 'beta test' subject when I'm not being told I'm a 'beta tester'. I'm patient, I can wait ;)

I just bought a .458 Socom upper from Bear Creek Arsenal on sale for under $300 about a month ago. It came with 3 spent cartridges. I zeroed it with Black Butterfly 300gr Hornady JHP. Worked perfectly. No slop or wiggle. The handguard lined up with the upper. Fired 10 rounds out of a Lancer mag that I opened up a little bit with a half moon cut to the front. No issues, love it. It's mated to a SAA lower that I built. It is deliciously loud. :D

No idea on the PSA thing, though market demand is likely the driving factor. Parenthetically, I do remember an outfit, Tromix perhaps, used to make an upper in .44 Magnum and .50AE that used sleeved DE magazines as the feeding device. If anyone made such, particularly in SBR form, I would be all over that. :D

No idea on the PSA thing, though market demand is likely the driving factor. Parenthetically, I do remember an outfit, Tromix perhaps, used to make an upper in .44 Magnum and .50AE that used sleeved DE magazines as the feeding device. If anyone made such, particularly in SBR form, I would be all over that. :D

A 44 Mag AR? I'd be all over something like that like "stink on bubblegum!!!" That just sounds too good to be true, I'm already set up for reloading and have almost a metric ton of brass and lead!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top