JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All wrong. The extra rails are for MORE optics so that you can set each one for a different range. When your life is on the line you need to hit first time every time. You set the center scope up for 20 yards, you set the left site for 50 yards and the right sight for 7 yards.

With all that accurate coverage you don't need the extra scops those new 4 rails on the side scopes buy you...

Lets see, want to shoot close in at night, want to shoot out to say, 250 yds and want to shoot close up with fast pointing, quick target acquisition with quick shot placement.

So iron sights, 1x to 4x red dot lighted scope and laser.

Laser would be fire from hip type thing, pop out see target bring weapon on target and at the same time bring laser online and begin firing. Don't want to bother taking that extra second to bring it all the way up, look through scope acquire target and fire. If it is a face to face meeting with enemy, first to fire accurate enough will prevail. Longer range or situations with more time and accurate shooting I can use the scope unless it is total darkness.

Short range night use, low/no light the laser could work if I can see the target or ambush him light him up with laser and open up all at once such as inside house with burglar etc.

For you experienced guys I probably have it some what wrong, it is my first AR and I was not in military so....

THey do appear to be removable - so were it mine, I'd remove them.

But you could ninja it out - offset 1X red dot sight, flashlight mount, laser aiming device, add one of the two-way pic rail adapaters and turn one rail into two, or two into four so you can add even more. :D Then you can have a can opener, bottle opener, and cheese grater combo.

I recently purchased a Vortex red dot for my carbine AR, and there are small picatinny rails at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions respectively on top of the scope. I feel silly for asking because I can't seem to find any info on the web as to why they're there.

So why the hell are there rails on my red dot??

They are there for a back up red dot and another backup red dot..
Oh yeah and every AZZhole has to have rails on the guns that's what sell's.

The purpose of that is because magnification can hinder things up close. Though when I had the spitfire I just took the rails off. I'm of the mind if they're close enough that 3x is too much, you might as well be point shooting anyways.

LOL!!! You guys are nuts! It's why I enjoy your company so much!

I want to trick out one of my AR's like the ones above, but I want to add one more unique item!
The stabilizer from my compound bow! Let's see the other operators figure that one out! :)

The only time I've seen RDS rails used is on cheapo Chinese-import sight-light-laser package deals.

Me, I want my laser closer to the bore axis and coaxial with a known "offset distance"--something so that if the laser aperture is 1/2" left of center I know the bullet goes 1/2" right of the dot.

OTOH, former (WTF is up with my keyboard today?!) Chief Engineer at SureFire Paul Kim once mounted a Swiss Army Knife, multiple lights, multiple optics AND a hood ornament on an AR as a joke...

Last Edited:
TA31F-RMR_additional_popup_2.jpg
It may not be a rail, but same concept really. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top