JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One plus is that you don't have to pay a transfer fee if you obtain older vintage firearms. You get the firearm directly vs going through a transferring FFL. I know an individual that collects pre 1950 Colts, Smiths and High Standards. Over the last several years he has probably saved himself at least $1,000 in transfer fees. Many FFL sellers will take a C&R license, some will ship only to a regular FFL. As another poster pointed out, OR SB 941 pretty well makes a C&R useless in Oregon. SB941 requires background checks for all gun sales/transfers in Oregon. No exemption was made for C&R holders. Doesn't matter if you buy in Oregon or if you buy online. Even with a C&R, you are still required, by Oregon law, to have a BGC performed - which makes a C&R, in Oregon, virtually worthless. Before that, via my C&R, I received an old High Standard from UPS one day and my visiting neighbor was astounded that I could "mail order" firearms, lol.

Last Edited:
I enjoyed C&R-ing back in the day, and still have some of the items acquired during said, but it is a little pointless post-SB941. I, or rather one of our legal entities, is now 01FFL (Dealer) licensed as a side business.

I used to be able to order online, now in Oregon it's worthless. If you travel out of state I suppose you could use it. I will also let mine expire.

Out of curiosity after the background check are you able to pick it up and leave at time of purchase or is there a wait/hold time? I was curious on how this would work passing from CA to WA. Am I to assume that private party transfers would have to be done at a FFL01 just like purchasing at a FFL01?

It seems that C&R FFL03 licenses are are being "downgraded" in many states. With the Feds pushing HR8 in the House for universal background checks on all purchases and many states doing the same, there is what appears to be a coordinated effort to not exclude FFL03s from these new rules.

Currently, in CA a person with a FFL03 and COE (state Certificate of Eligibility) can:

1. Purchase Ammo
* Purchase ammo online and ship to door
* Purchase ammo out of state and transport to CA

2. Purchase C&R long gun in-state from a non-licensees
* No need to go thru 01-FFL DROS, report within 30 days of possession

3. Purchase C&R long gun or C&R handgun out state and transport to CA
* No need to go thru 01-FFL DROS, report within 5 days of transporting

4. Purchase C&R long gun or C&R handgun from in-state 01-FFL
* DROS, with no 10 days waiting period

5. Purchase C&R handgun or modern handgun from in-state 01-FFL
* DROS, with no 1 in 30 days limitation

6. Discount from online retailers, such as Brownells, Numrich, Century etc

I would expect some of these "benefits" to be eroded in the not too distant future. For example, starting July 1, 2019 CA FFL03 and COE holders will apparently need to go through a background check to buy ammo even though we pay annually for the COE that includes a background check (read this as double fees/taxation).

Given the current "monkey see - monkey do" of progressive gun legislation, I believe we are all - CA, WA, OR, NV, etc - looking at change on our horizons.

Last Edited:
When it still worked in Oregon I used mine to buy old broken firearms (still required a 4473 even if they are broken) to use them to make gunstocks for them or try and get the mechanics working again. I even learned about bluing and other refinishing techniques.

If you are going to buy a $10 broken and rusted 100 year old pistol you dont really want to pay for a background check for it. If you buy one online you REALLY dont want to pay for shipping, transfer fee and background check for a broken WWI era firearm

Sad Prozanski saw that as evil and killed the FFL

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads