JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a friend that's visiting his family here in Oregon and he asked if I could take him and his wife to shoot gun for the first time. Now should I provide the ammo or is it only fair that I tell him to buy the ammo? He doesn't even have a car to get around so I might have to pick them up also. He is a good friend of mine but ammo isn't cheap either if I were providing ammo. If they just wanted to shoot 22's no problem I got that covered but he is going for the bigger caliber's...

Just tell him like it is. Ammo is expensive for the larger stuff so if he wants to shoot it he needs to pitch in. Especially if he plans on an all day event. I reload so it isnt that bad for me to supply it but store bought can add up pretty quick.

I always pay for ammo for first time shooters. Just my rule. We shoot lots of .22 as it's cheap and a bit of other calibers to give an introduction. First time users are impressed by .22 and the whole experience. No need to spend lots on other calibers.

You buy the ammo, so your guns are fed with what you want them to eat but let your buddy chip in. But for 22 I wouldn't bother. Let him bring snacks and drinks and a six pack for after the shooting and you're even. :)

First timers, I'd say stick to 22 as well. My first time shooting was fairly recent, so I can recall :), and I had to get used to the flash and the bang. 22LR provides that as well. Or give your friend a single round in a big gun and let him take out his shoulder and step back to the 22. It's a few bucks on 50bmg, but so be it. :)

I try to refrain from showing friends a good time when they can't afford even the simplest things.

9mm is cheap but if he wants to shoot 556 or 308 then tell him to buy it.

Personally I'd buy the ammo but if it's that tight for you just take him with you when you pick up the ammo. Tell him what you can afford but that he's welcome to pitch in to get more. That or just tell him you can't really afford ammo right now, other than 22 LR, but will let him shoot what he can buy.

My generosity tends to get the better of me in these situations. I like to let them shoot whatever they want, as much as they want. My friends are worth the investment.

Personally I'd buy the ammo but if it's that tight for you just take him with you when you pick up the ammo. Tell him what you can afford but that he's welcome to pitch in to get more. That or just tell him you can't really afford ammo right now, other than 22 LR, but will let him shoot what he can buy.
Perfect! I don't get cheap with my friends, but I can't afford to go buy a few hundred bucks worth of ammo. Take him with you to get the ammo and do just as above says, it's great taking friends out shooting but it is what it is and ammo ain't cheap.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter if it's gas money, food, bait, or ammo. If you expect someone to chip in, let them know before you head out. I don't think it's fair for someone to ask for money at the last minute, especially if you know they don't have much. If you want someone to help out, let them know when you invite them.

I agree with most here. I have inlaws that come from out of town every year that are 10 years younger than me and I take them shooting and fishing every time. If you do not have the funds then you would not be asking the question as it would be a no brainer that you just could not afford to pay for the outing.

When the fam comes into town I just stock up on some decent reasonably cheap ammo because I really do not want them going to walmart and bringing out the 8 dollar a box tull ammo to put through my guns. Besides that...its once a year. Show your friend a good time. Karma is sweet brother.

Start off with lots of the .22 stuff - finish the day off with a box or two of the big calibers. If he can pitch in $20, that's 2-4 boxes of 9mm from Wal Mart, depending on what you are willing to buy. (Cheap, steel cased russian stuff for $5 a box, or cheap, brass cased American ammo for $10 a box)

Let them get the fundamentals down with the .22's - his wife will probably be more happy starting with something without a lot of felt recoil anyway. And .22's are confidence builders for new shooters.

If you can, I'd take some sort of metal target so they get the "ping" sound for instant auditory feedback that "yes, I hit it!" instead of squinting at a black and white piece of paper.

I'm willing to spend some dough, but there's two of them not including me. How much to spend is where I'm stuck, I don't want them to feel like they're limited cause I do want them to have a good time but I don't want to break the bank either...

You pay and show them a good time don't be a cheap Charlie
I used to havethat mentality, but it never convinced nonfirearm folks to get into shooting. They had a blast and I've taken said people and others out shooting many times but in the end it burned a huge hole in my pocket. Semi auto .308s have a huge wow factor but even tula and brown bear gets pricy over time, also he's the one who's gotta spend the time and if need be money to clean them after.. So he's out money there too and thats not counting gas either.
Thus I only let my immediate family and my woman shoot for free. Perhaps some friends but if they don't have the good conscience to realize how much it actually costs for a nice range day then they don't deserve my good will and giving graces.
May sound cheap but if they don't have my back or if they aren't thankful why keep giving? I could spend that money on more ammo, magazines, firearms, vodka or strippers. ;)

I got a friend that's visiting his family here in Oregon and he asked if I could take him and his wife to shoot gun for the first time. Now should I provide the ammo or is it only fair that I tell him to buy the ammo? He doesn't even have a car to get around so I might have to pick them up also. He is a good friend of mine but ammo isn't cheap either if I were providing ammo. If they just wanted to shoot 22's no problem I got that covered but he is going for the bigger caliber's...

if he asked then he should at least help with the ammo if not buy it all for everyone.

If I was your friend you wouldn't be HAVING this dilemma. It doesn't matter if I'm invited or if I initiate something like a get together of any venue, I ALWAYS offer and almost always insist in making a contribution (when its refused by the host) . Fortunately those I associate with on a regular basis share the same ethos... else I'd be a happy hermit.

If I was your friend you wouldn't be HAVING this dilemma. It doesn't matter if I'm invited or if I initiate something like a get together of any venue, I ALWAYS offer and almost always insist in making a contribution (when its refused by the host . Fortunately those I associate with on a regular basis share the same ethos... else I'd be a happy hermit.

:s0155:

For me:
.22 = I cover it.
.223 = I cover it for about 50rnds (3 mags)
9mm = I cover it for about 50rnds (3-4 mags)
.40 = I cover it for about 50rnds (3 mags)

.308 = not fired with guests unless we shop jointly and I point out what's ok for my particular firearms. (FAL is very different than 5R-Remington). There is also the conversation of "Hey, this is what I'm bringing for you to shoot. If you want to shoot more, we'll need to stop so you can get some ammo. What do you think?"

Emphasis more on .22 for control, minimal fear factor for first time shooters = more time & less $$ in ammo.

I have found for me, this seems to strike a balance between accommodating friends and not feeling like i'm burning $$. The reloading helps :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top