Who is a legit motorcycle mechanic?

Lesliet

Reactions
The wiki says it's a wet clutch. In my searchings, I found this article: Real Stinkers...Motorcycles We Wish We Could Forget - home ( skip to the last bike, it made me chuckle!) Not a comment on yours, just funny. The clutch is the one main reason to be careful what oils you use, and to not put additives in. Something like Slick 50 would ruin your day pretty well. Other than that, I've run mostly Castrol car oil or Valvoline in my bikes over the years with no issues.

if you can get a lower end gasket and seal kit, at the age of that machine, I'd personally just go through the bottom end for a ' clean/inspect/renew all gaskets and seals", and probably run a hone down the cylinder, and assemble with new rings. But then, I enjoy both the process of going through a machine and correcting issues, and the satisfaction of having it operate correctly for as long as possible before the next issue pops up. YMMV.

OP
Oregonhunter5
Reactions
The wiki says it's a wet clutch. In my searchings, I found this article: Real Stinkers...Motorcycles We Wish We Could Forget - home ( skip to the last bike, it made me chuckle!) Not a comment on yours, just funny. The clutch is the one main reason to be careful what oils you use, and to not put additives in. Something like Slick 50 would ruin your day pretty well. Other than that, I've run mostly Castrol car oil or Valvoline in my bikes over the years with no issues.

if you can get a lower end gasket and seal kit, at the age of that machine, I'd personally just go through the bottom end for a ' clean/inspect/renew all gaskets and seals", and probably run a hone down the cylinder, and assemble with new rings. But then, I enjoy both the process of going through a machine and correcting issues, and the satisfaction of having it operate correctly for as long as possible before the next issue pops up. YMMV.
Top end done
Carb done
Sprockets and chain done
Need bottom end done now

Mikej

Reactions
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2015
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2017
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019

This is hilarious! I never realized just how lucky I was. I googled a vid of the OPs bike motor. Holy,holy crap! Mid '70s-mid '80s I was wrenching for Honda. We always made fun of the "Ringy, ding-ding-dings" . Honda probably had some dogs that we worked that I don't recall. Only one I remember though was their foray into 2-strokes with the MT series. We called them "Moto-Turkeys"

Reactions
And stay away from any automotive oil with friction modifiers. Some Rotella is ok.

It usually says it on the bottom of the label. Energy conserving or resource conserving.

Not saying to use this oil, just a lable example .

full-29850-239027-api_motor_oil_service_rating_donuts.jpg

OP
Oregonhunter5
Reactions
I’ve never done a clutch. Also the oil injection for the gas it needs calibration. So I took it to a 48 year veteran of motorcycle repair. $65.00 and hour. I want the bike bullet proofed

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
    • HA556
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom