JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the clutch is slipping, I always check for free play in the cable first. If it doesnt have any free play it's not adjusted properly.

About 1/2" at the tip.
Untitled.png

Or

About 1/8" between the perch and lever.

15.jpg

The wiki says it's a wet clutch. In my searchings, I found this article: Real Stinkers...Motorcycles We Wish We Could Forget - home ( skip to the last bike, it made me chuckle!) Not a comment on yours, just funny. The clutch is the one main reason to be careful what oils you use, and to not put additives in. Something like Slick 50 would ruin your day pretty well. Other than that, I've run mostly Castrol car oil or Valvoline in my bikes over the years with no issues.

if you can get a lower end gasket and seal kit, at the age of that machine, I'd personally just go through the bottom end for a ' clean/inspect/renew all gaskets and seals", and probably run a hone down the cylinder, and assemble with new rings. But then, I enjoy both the process of going through a machine and correcting issues, and the satisfaction of having it operate correctly for as long as possible before the next issue pops up. YMMV.

The wiki says it's a wet clutch. In my searchings, I found this article: Real Stinkers...Motorcycles We Wish We Could Forget - home ( skip to the last bike, it made me chuckle!) Not a comment on yours, just funny. The clutch is the one main reason to be careful what oils you use, and to not put additives in. Something like Slick 50 would ruin your day pretty well. Other than that, I've run mostly Castrol car oil or Valvoline in my bikes over the years with no issues.

if you can get a lower end gasket and seal kit, at the age of that machine, I'd personally just go through the bottom end for a ' clean/inspect/renew all gaskets and seals", and probably run a hone down the cylinder, and assemble with new rings. But then, I enjoy both the process of going through a machine and correcting issues, and the satisfaction of having it operate correctly for as long as possible before the next issue pops up. YMMV.
Top end done
Carb done
Sprockets and chain done
Need bottom end done now

This is hilarious! I never realized just how lucky I was. I googled a vid of the OPs bike motor. Holy,holy crap! Mid '70s-mid '80s I was wrenching for Honda. We always made fun of the "Ringy, ding-ding-dings" . Honda probably had some dogs that we worked that I don't recall. Only one I remember though was their foray into 2-strokes with the MT series. We called them "Moto-Turkeys"

And stay away from any automotive oil with friction modifiers. Some Rotella is ok.

It usually says it on the bottom of the label. Energy conserving or resource conserving.

Not saying to use this oil, just a lable example .

full-29850-239027-api_motor_oil_service_rating_donuts.jpg

I've never done a clutch. Also the oil injection for the gas it needs calibration. So I took it to a 48 year veteran of motorcycle repair. $65.00 and hour. I want the bike bullet proofed

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top