JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've done a little research and find my 686 has no M stamp, apparently indicating I should contact S&W for a 27 year old recall! Happy Happy Happy!!

Anybody been there done that?

Had both, you'll never know the difference. Didn't send back for the recall, shot side by side with a -1 (EVERYONE should have a "brace" of pistols!)

The recall was about the revolver would hang up by part of the case would protrude through
the firing pin hole after firing it. I had one and It would malfunction so I sent it back and
they fixed it. I had no problems with it after the repair.

As long as it is working well I wouldn't worry over it.

Actually, I wonder if the OP shouldn't send it in--even if it is firing well--just to get the gun serviced?? The factory will pay freight both ways, and fix whatever defect is known, and perhaps clean it up in other ways. How can this be a bad thing?

Actually, I wonder if the OP shouldn't send it in--even if it is firing well--just to get the gun serviced?? The factory will pay freight both ways, and fix whatever defect is known, and perhaps clean it up in other ways. How can this be a bad thing?

Well, that's what I was thinking. It could also be an issue in the future. Mmm, say I don't shoot it, and my spouse wants to sell it after I'm gone? Someone might say, "Nah, that's too much. It doesn't have the M". This fine fire arm has very few round through it. It's 30 years old! I'm gonna have to shoot it. What's the sense in having a gun like this and not shoot it? Right?

I sent the e-mail off to S&W, said five days maybe for a return e-mail. I've already got a 629 back there for work since mid January, said 6-8 months for that. That is not warranty work on the 629, I'd hope it would be quicker for the 686.

Mike

Here is the response from Smith & Wesson regarding my 686. I'm glad to hear it wasn't an over all recall but just a few it seems.

Dear Customer,

Most guns did not need to come in. If your gun had the problem it would have happened by now. The hammer gets stuck when you fire the gun and does not allow the trigger to recover.

If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.

Sincerely,

Don

Smith_Wesson_1.jpg

Subject:

S&W 686 No dash.....

I've recently acquired a fine, low round count specimen of a 686 6" S&W revolver. After doing a bit of research it appears there was a recall on these first run revolvers. I looked at the the S&W website and for the life of me couldn't find anything. There is info on the interwebs that may be a bit incomplete.

S&W 6", 686 (no dash)
6 Shot

Under the stocks on frame.
left side:
A23, F37
86196, S, and what looks like a small incomplete circle, open at bottom?

right side:
Letter "L" in circle. Letter "T" in triangle.

There is an ink date stamp of FEB 23 1984 on the bottom inside of the right wood stock.
Any info on this fire arm, and any recall would be appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top