JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the first time I shot some powder coated bullets was when @agingstudent sent me some a ways back.
So pretty and cool! Blue wadcutters, red flatnose, you get it. Accurate and no leading to boot.
So I got done casting 7000 odd bullets and the time had come to lube them.. with "mule snot", Alox, 45/45/10, Lee tumble lube type affairs that would smoke like crazy, gum up the seating stem like an antifa at a brisk and likely turn your barrel into a smoothbore in fifty shots.
Well I had found a nice toaster oven by a dumpster a ways back with a thought in mind so I hopped down to the Harbor Freight yesterday to get some powder coat and all they had was white.. so I got that. Seven dollars for a pound jug.
Now I needed a wire basket. I had seen on YT one guy got his at Bed Bath and Beyond and I said to myself, "what a doltish cuck" and got a couple down at the dollar store. For two dollars.
Oh, I had a Miracle Whip tub but spied a real nice heavy duty plastic 6.25 cup Betty Crocker bowl with lid there too so got that. Glad I did.
I started with some seconds on my first load. I swirled probably 3-400 at a time for probably 20-30 seconds and dumped that amount into a basket and repeated since the two fit the oven perfectly so each cycle would produce perhaps 6-800 or something.
Then there was smoke. I figured this was normal and was prepared. I had a fan ready and the garage door opener handy and let er buck. When I took the loaded baskets out with my gloved hands, I realized that the baskets were plastic dipped and kinda stuck to the gloves. Oh well, I was cookin with gas now!
But wait, the bullets had been turned into thirds, no longer mere seconds, as they now were zebra striped with black plastic on them. Feckity.
Thinking swiftly, I tried to remove the coating with some acetone but no joy. I just figured it'd cook off given enough time and was just ready to load up batch number two when I thought even more swiftier and blowtorched that plastic offa them things, leaving my garage floor bepuddled with flaming drips of hot goo.
Victory! Now these were wire baskets as the good Lord intended!
Loads 2-x were awesome. No smoke at all. I'd take the still 400f batch and clunk it upside down on the toweled bench and it was one fused brick of a mass but running my gloved hand over it separated them all easy enough.
I was worried they weren't coated enough as they were far from pure solid white and thought about recoating them but knew they had a good coating on them as proved by the fused mass mentioned above and I could still see it after smashing a couple flat with a hammer. Oh, and the bullets looked exactly like FortuneCookie45's even after he turbo tumbled his for 20 minutes and he said his shot great.
Now I've just got to shoot some of my old smoker loads to test these out with. No hurry.

Good story! My first couple attempts weren't successful but, after keeping at it they became acceptable. The Lee Alox is easy to use but not much else good to say about it too!

Enter Sonny Burnett w/ a Bren Ten.
14CA6942-7015-45EE-8A7F-5A606E59ADC5.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top