JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably least expensive way to get into it will be a victory model k-frame. I've owned the S&W 1917 and a victory model. Liked them both, but neither stuck for some reason...

c8026a__55215.jpg

Colt 1909 .45 LC caliber revolver. Manufactured approximately 1911:D

I've owned both the Colt 1917 and the S&W 1917. If I had to have only one I would go with the S&W. The guns feel about the same and shoot about the same. But . . .

1. The chambers in the S&W have shoulders. Meaning you can shoot .45acp in them without the half-moon clips. The Colt cylinder does not have shoulders and .45acp without the clips slip forward and don't ignite.

2. Most of the parts for the S&W 1917 are compatible with current production N frame parts. Especially things like aftermarket grips. Even when you need specific 1917 parts the S&W are MUCH easier to find and less expensive. Any gunsmithing you can do on on an N-frame S&W, like polishing and adjusting spring tension, you can do on a S&W 1917.

Colt 1917 parts, like the large-frame Colt revolver they are based on, are out of production and so tend to be both pricey and scarce. Few aftermarket parts are available. Nothing in Colt's current line resembles it mechanically. Colt destroyed their large-frame revolver tooling after they dropped the line for sale. Smooth move, Colt.

But within those limitations, make your choice. Either one, assuming an example in good condition, will serve.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews