JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 22LR?

• Savage A22 .22LR

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • ISSC Mk22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just use your AR

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
I have a model 60 and love it. Got it for free from my stepdad. It hadn't been shot in probably 15 years+ was all gunked up and still was super accurate.

But I would also go with a 10/22.
It's just the best all around 22 rifle.
You won't find one thats better for all applications and assessories.

Another reason to leave the 5.56 at home is being a good neighbor. ARs are quite a bit louder than 22's. You are spending a weekend next to nice people. There's no need to blow them out just to have that experience with the AR.

Appleseed is more about positional shooting accurately than it is about creating minutemen. All the skills they teach you with a 10/22, iron sights, and a sling you will be able to transfer over to the AR with practice on your own after the event.

I'm confused. What's wrong with buying a $200 Ruger 10/22 and $30 worth of ammo? Most of us don't need an excuse to buy another gun... :D

<broken link removed>
WTS WA - Ruger 10/22 metal trigger guard

IIRC they say to use 10 round magazines because the 25 round aren't very compatible with a prone shooting position.

I have never been to a Appleseed event, (only researched it) but I am going when I can afford it.

For those with tube-fed .22's, this little item might be just the trick:
Spee-D-Loader™

I'm getting more and more accepting of the notion of self defense with .22LR. Particularly if you are in a neighborhood with a battle going on and you want maximum firepower, are you really going to leave your .22LR guns in the safe? No, you will hand them to neighbors, sons, daughters, etc. At least in a pure defensive role, if nothing else.

I wouldn't take a 5.56 to your first appleseed event. You're going to shoot a LOT of ammo. Which is better? $150 in 5.56 or $30 in .22LR for the same skill building? The Savage A22 will serve you well.
That does it. Imna bring my 03A3 and shoot my plain based lead 190's all stripper clipped up. Heck, the lead was free and the primers in 'em were $15/1000. pew pew!

That does it. Imna bring my 03A3 and shoot my plain based lead 190's all stripper clipped up. Heck, the lead was free and the primers in 'em were $15/1000. pew pew!
Saves on .22! My first hunting rifle was an 03A3, and before I was allowed to hunt with it I had to shoot a case of ammo, which I did in a day. My 12 year old body had a bruise so deep you could see it on my back.

Saves on .22! My first hunting rifle was an 03A3, and before I was allowed to hunt with it I had to shoot a case of ammo, which I did in a day. My 12 year old body had a bruise so deep you could see it on my back.
I remember a lot of that old ammo from all over the world. I've still got a case of black-tip (giggity). Good times!

A dedicated .22 upper on your AR would be a good solution. A conversion bolt "may" work as well if you can get it to run reliably and accurately -- the courses of fire are timed. I'd suggest 10-20 round magazines instead of the long 30s. They're simply too long to be able to get into a good prone position. A solid sling of simple design would be something else I'd add instead of some of the more complex slings available.

Appleseed isn't about teaching people to be Minutemen or for self defense. It's about teaching American Revolutionary War history, typically the first 3 strikes of the match, and basic rifle marksmanship with a course of fire based on the Army AQT. .22 is the best round to fire as you'll be firing a lot of it. Additionally its good for training new shooters as it's low recoil. The Appleseed website has some great information about how to prepare for the shoot.

thanks for all the replies everyone really appriciate it. I think what I am going to do is pick up a savage a22 or a ruger 10/22 and then go ahead and bring my AR along and shoot it some possibly on the second day after I have done most of the important learning on my .22.

A 10/22 would be a good choice. Bi-Mart was selling the Ruger Collector's Series 10/22 Second Edition for $250 and including a second BX-1 10 round mag. In the box you also get a $25 gift certificate to the Ruger store that you could use to get the high comb stock module for a good cheek weld with a scope. It sounds like that may fit your needs.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews