JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 22LR?

• Savage A22 .22LR

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • ISSC Mk22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just use your AR

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
As long as it is still about training and not Competition, then I can see the merits of doing these events! Once there is competition of any sort, learning becomes second and you lose focus as to the purpose of this! This IS my number one concern with any type pf training! In an ideal world, there would be only ONE make and model of rifle used for the beginning stages of training, and as skills progressed, then the shooters own preferences in Rifle would take over as the skills learned and mastered come into there own! We have a defensive rifle training down here that we do, and we supply the rifles for the first two levels of training before a shooter transitions into his/her own rifle for the third and forth levels!

Thank you everyone for all the imput, keep it coming! the main reason i was looking at the savage a22 over the 10/22 is because its getting good reviews reliablility and accuracy wise and it also comes with an optic friendly stock, which is key for me because i wear glasses and have bad eyesight and struggle with irons sometimes at long range. Also due to budget it would not be optimal if i had to buy a different stock for the 10/22 to get a cheek weld with a scope ( If this is wrong please correct me, but the one i have shot the stock was much too low for a scope)My edc is a 19 with an rmr for this reason. I would probably spring for the 15-22 if it wasnt banned.

I was thinking it might also be nice to bring my AR and whatever .22 i end up buying so i have options once i get there incase i am having trouble with the AR or just feel i would benefit more by switching to one or the other after i get the feel for what we will be doing.

Though I've never been to one, it seems to me that Appleseed is about your skills and not your rifle. I would definitely suggest iron sights the first time because they are teaching aiming skills and trigger control. I have a rifle all set to go and have never gotten a chance yet.

Marlin 925 bolt action, five 10rd magazines, TechSights, leather sling.

In my opinion, a bolt 22 with peep sights of some sort has to be the perfect Appleseed rifle. A semi-auto may make you feel too comfortable going fast. A bolt gun will necessarily slow you down. A lever 22 would fit this description just as well, but will be slower to reload.

How about a Ruger American Rimfire? That's a bolt gun that uses 10/22 magazines.

Chris, I hear what your saying about bolt guns for slower more deliberate fire.
But, when I train for people in my family or close friends I'm going for Aimed Rapid Fire as the end goal. Sure, I'll keep a gentle lid on the shooting rapidity as body language and groups show they've got it at the lower speed, then up we go, speed wise. I want smooth magazine changes too. I teach "Quick Kill" techniques too! Soooo.......bolt guns first, but not for long.
I get that I'm not describing Appleseed here, but I'm giving constant individual instruction. So, apples and oranges!
Just want to say that I think Appleseed is a great program and I've got a couple of young 'uns about ready to try it! :)

If someone wants a .22 to look and work like an AR I would just buy a .22 upper for an AR. 10/22 is of course my hands down favorite .22 all around. Used to have a lot of fun playing with a .22 conversion on my AR's LONG ago. Of course the twist rate was not correct so accuracy suffered. With an upper made for it they work great.

I must have missed something. I thought Appleseed was about teaching Americans on how to essentially be minutemen/women. Why would anyone choose to defend their country with a .22lr over a 5.56?

The experience you'll get shooting the larger rounds will be well worth the ammunition cost.

I must have missed something. I thought Appleseed was about teaching Americans on how to essentially be minutemen/women. Why would anyone choose to defend their country with a .22lr over a 5.56?

The experience you'll get shooting the larger rounds will be well worth the ammunition cost.
I can offer one reason why the .22 is a better choice. When we shot the Rimfire Challenge at DRRC a while back, I brought my wife, daughter, son in law and grandson. We shot the Ruger 22/45 Lite and the M&P 15/22.

At the end of the day everyone of them said it was the best time they ever spent at the range. Except for my grandson, each of them have large caliber handguns and rifles (AR & AK), but those are loud and intimidating for less enthusiastic shooters, and my desire is they become excellent marksmen. The Ruger had some FTEs and they learned how to clear it on the go and stay in the game. The M&P 15/22 has the same shape and controls placement as the .223 AR. I am confident each of them could grab a full size AR now and instinctively shoot it because unlike shooting 100 rounds thru the .223 and saying they've had enough (these are new shooters) , they shot 2500 rounds through the .22 and wanted to keep going.

All of us came away as better shooters that day.

Last Edited:
M&P 15-22's are great rifles!

BUT, as of Sept. 2016, they are temporarily banned prohibited from Appleseed events for a safety issue:

S&W M&P 15/22's temporarily banned from our line

Everybody,

Please be aware that as of today the AOC has banned the S&W M&P 15/22 from our lines until S&W addresses and resolves certain safety and reliability issues. We have experienced a number of issues on the line with these rifles. This culminated in an issue this past weekend with an OOBD.

As a result of these incidents, the AOC has temporily banned the rifle from our lines. This is temporary for now pending S&W's reponse and remediation plans for the rifle. Decisions will be made later as to the return of this rifle to our line pending S&W's plans to fix/replace the current rifles and our ability to identify a corrected rifle from the current design.

As far as I know, this ban has yet to be lifted.
This "problem" with the M&P 15/22 is related to the FCG cross pins slipping out of the holes and allowing the trigger group to misbehave. We noticed this right away with both or our M&P 15/22s and we solved the problem on the spot by installing KNS anti rotating pin sets. PROBLEM SOLVED

The steel pin don't stay put in the poly lower in some cases. That is all that is going on here with these rifles.

I wouldn't take a 5.56 to your first appleseed event. You're going to shoot a LOT of ammo. Which is better? $150 in 5.56 or $30 in .22LR for the same skill building? The Savage A22 will serve you well.

This "problem" with the M&P 15/22 is related to the FCG cross pins slipping out of the holes and allowing the trigger group to misbehave. We noticed this right away with both or our M&P 15/22s and we solved the problem on the spot by installing KNS anti rotating pin sets. PROBLEM SOLVED

The steel pin don't stay put in the poly lower in some cases. That is all that is going on here with these rifles.

I've heard of that solution - I need to get it for mine as well. I'm wondering why Appleseed hasn't yet approved the return of these guns, if this fix has been made.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews