JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.30-06 seems like the best option. I got plenty ammo for it. Now is time to gather necessary gear, planning and looking for hunting partner. Thanks all for helping.

Next year start looking for a Payne to in spring;) - good hunting partners are really hard to find.

Best of luck this year!

I have and use most of those calibers........not really a 270 fan but it is fine for deer. As previously said, take the rifle that you are most comfortable with. I have used my trusty 7mm mag on deer size long range game on 3 continents. Like the Heritic says, I had trouble with bullets coming apart when game was shot close. I solved that problem 30 years ago by loading Partitioned bullets. I have not tried any of the newer Barnes copper bullets in the 7mm mag but they are great in my 6.5X55. In Western Oregon the ranges are not often very long. So the magnum probably isn't nessisary. I am a 308 guy......both for the versatility and capability of the caliber but the great rifles that use it. I love my short bolt guns. The 06 is off course a proven caliber but so similar to a 308 that the choice would be down to which rifle I liked the best. I don't like sub 30 caliber bullets on larger game like elk,moose or wildebeest. The 270 was Jack O'Conner's caliber......never could find a great advantage of it over the 06 but he constantly wrote about it and I am sure was responsible for selling a lot of rifles in the flavor. Ammo availability is no longer a problem with the 7mm mag either......it was the second largest selling caliber in new hunting rifles for many years, I would just make sure the ammo has a well made bullet. My longest kill with the 7mm mag was 600 yards, 200-300 yards is common.

Last Edited:
Like others have said the 30-06 is an excellent cartridge not just for deer but any animal you'll find in the northwest other than brown bears. Not only that but if you need ammo it's easy to find and costs less. My favorite rifle caliber has been 30-06 for over 4 decades because it will do the job and you can have excellent accuracy not to mention there are numerous loads possible if you reload.

I have .308, 30-06, .270 and 7mm rem mag. Which one is best for deer hunting?
any one of those will work for deer

Reading Oregon State Regulations on hunting is so confusing. Can someone here simplify it a little?
Any other requirements like orange coat or required gears?
Any helpful gears like binoculars, rangefinder?
I am new to hunting, so please help, thanks.
the regs can be confusing.... adults dont need to wear hunters orange. Its a good idea though, sometimes another hunter will use his rifle scope to glass for deer.... you really stand out in orange from a long ways and if they scope you will clearly I.D. you and lower the rifle.

with that in mind, you need binoculars to glass the clearcuts and even in the timber those blacktails will hide look for the tips of their antlers and tips of their ears.

got deer tag, thinking of getting elk tag if deer hunting going well, so wish me luck
Dont base your elk decision on your luck with deer, its actually much easier to hunt elk and odds are you wont get either...

I am in Hillsboro area, where is the best place to hunt?

On the West side of the cascades; hunt the clear cuts on industrial land. Some timber companies are requiring permits.

Go on the ODFW web-site and search the key word IFPL; there, you will find the PDF on which companies allow the various kinds of access.

Walking through the state and national jungles yields much less deer than the private timber lands.

Watch out for impaired road hunters.
There are a number of road-hunting corridors near PDX, so get as far away from the city as you can!

Hunt the clear-cuts; carefully glass under EACH tree in the clear cuts; them bucks like to nap under the young hemlocks.

Wait for the rain to pause, and watch em step out to stretch & P.

:D

********************************************************************************The calibers you mentioned are all legal for hunting deer in Oregon.
I suppose that since you asked, that means that you already have a deer tag as it is too late to buy one now since the season has already started.
I would suggest that the caliber of choice should be the one that your are most comfortable shooting.
If you obtain the Oregon big game synopsis, available at places where hunting licenses are sold, you can read about what is required. If that does not do it for you, I suggest that you call the Oregon State police. They are the ones charged with enforcing the game laws. The Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife would also be able to inform you about what is required.

Aloha! .270 is best for North American deer species. It's a flat shooter, low recoil, and wont damage too much meat. For African Deer or the largest species of deer: moose, I recommend 30-06 hard case projectile or safari cartridges. Honestly a 22 Magnum is best for most North American Whitetail, and a well placed shot. Keep in mind I used to read some of the prolific safari hunters stories so I appreciate the effectiveness of smaller calibers and well placed shots. If you want to damage a buttload of meat go with the 30-06.. :rolleyes: Hope this helps. If you're in bear country carry the 30-06. :p

Hands down, .22LR.
Nothing can beat it for deer hunting.
As for somewhere to hunt, I hear the downtown area is particularly active this time of year. In a few months, the herds will be moving out to the suburbs, so be aware when you begin to notice a lot of bummed out deer who have grown weary of life in the big city.

...also, I'm joking. Really. ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class