JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I shoot a Remington 700 inline and have a friend who wants to buy a rifle. He said that 209 primers were going to be legal next year here in Oregon, but I don't know about that. Who makes a good inline rifle these days?

Inlines are and have always been legal in Oregon. Sometime back in the mid 90's ODFW placed restrictions on them requiring open ignition/percussion cap only, hence the NW legal versions you will see on manufacturers websites. From the current Oregon hunting regs:

"Muzzleloader" is any single barreled (shotguns may be double barreled) long gun meant to be fired from the shoulder and loaded from the muzzle with an open ignition system and open or peep sights. This includes: open ignition in-line percussion; sidelock, under-hammer, top-hammer and mule ear percussion; sidelock flintlock and wheelock ignition systems. Matchlock ignition systems are not allowed.

Over the course of this year, ODFW has been seeking to simplify the hunting regulations. There were four proposals being discussed regarding muzzleloaders.:

Reference Line

Issue Name

Current Language in the 2018 Big Game Regulations (or a summary of the language)

Reason/Summary of Change Proposed

Proposed Changes in Blue and Bold. Notes in standard black font.

Minimum Muzzleloader Caliber

Minimum muzzleloader caliber restriction of .50 for bighorn sheep and mountain goat, but .40 for bear, cougar, deer, and pronghorn antelope.

Inconsistent with bear, cougar, deer, and pronghorn antelope. Opportunity to simplify.

Reduce minimum caliber for bighorn sheep and mountain goat to .40, consistent with bear, cougar, deer, and pronghorn antelope.

Muzzleloader: Open Ignition

It is illegal ......., the muzzleloader must have an open ignition. Definition: "Open Ignition" is an ignition system where the percussion cap, frizzen, or flit is visible and exposed to the weather at all times and is not capable of being closed or covered by any piece of the weapon.

Customers are frequently confused by this rule. The rule is intended to maintain muzzleloaders as primitive, short range weapons. Other restrictions such as no scopes, no centerfire primers, and no sabots accomplish the intent of the rule, also difficult to find guns on the market with open ignition.

Eliminate requirement for open ignition.

The change would also allow deletion of the definition.

Muzzleloader Projectiles, Legal Bullets

It is illegal to hunt with jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic tips or bases. Only the following projectile/bullet types are allowed: a) round balls made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic shot material, used with cloth, paper or felt patches; b) conical bullets made of lead, lead alloy, or federally approved non-toxic shot material, with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter; c) lead free copper conical bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter.

The existing rule is complex and confuses customers. The intent of the rule is to limit the range of the weapon. Range can be limited by other mechanisms including not allowing the use of sabots.

It is illegal to hunt with or possess sabots or saboted bullets.

Muzzleloader Propellant

It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants.

The intention of this rule is to limit the range of the weapon. The range can be limited by other regulations such as no scopes, no centerfire primer ignition and no saboted bullets.

Eliminate rule

As of right now I'm not sure what if any of these proposals have been adopted.

The OP's friend is probably assuming the elimination of the exposed ignition rule will allow the use of 209 primers. This is not necessarily the case, especially in light of the comments regarding center fire primers.

I wouldn't be buying any in-lines for hunting in Oregon until the 2019 regulations have been finalized and published.

I am not trying to be a jerk here.
But I am saying that for hundreds of years plenty of game has fallen to a flintlock or percussion lock rifle with a caliber in neighborhood of .45ish to .58ish.
With a more traditional style rifle and round ball or plain lead conical , there is less to run afoul of , in legal matters anyway.
Just tossing out a suggestion here....
Andy

I am not trying to be a jerk here.
But I am saying that for hundreds of years plenty of game has fallen to a flintlock or percussion lock rifle with a caliber in neighborhood of .45ish to .58ish.
With a more traditional style rifle and round ball or plain lead conical , there is less to run afoul of , in legal matters anyway.
Just tossing out a suggestion here....
Andy

Ah yes, Andy, all you say is true, but reading on other fora how inline shooters are taking game at 400 - 500 yards makes me think that they are not the same kind of peole of those of us who shoot traditional guns...

There is that...

But last weekend , I was able to hit 8 out of 10 times a gong at 200 yards with a original flintlock ( 1800-1820's )
Which I know isn't 400-500 yards...but with practice you can make "long distance" hits with a iron sighted traditional muzzleloader...Many rifles of the Enfield pattern and Rifled Muskets come to mind here , for 200 yards +....

Mostly I was just saying that if you use a more traditional rifle and projectile , then you have less to worry 'bout when it comes to : If its legal to use when hunting...
Andy

Andy,I like where your going with this. Would it not be wonderful to have what Pennsylvania used to have flintlocks with round ball only! It would be nice to have a season designed for traditional muzzle loaders not for single shot 30:06"s that happen to load from the muzzle!

Ah yes, Andy, all you say is true, but reading on other fora how inline shooters are taking game at 400 - 500 yards makes me think that they are not the same kind of peole of those of us who shoot traditional guns...
The rifles they shoot 4-500 yards are using smokeless powder and are illegal in Oregon. They have hurt some folks too if my memory serves me.

Follow up. Oregon 2019 Big Game Regs hit the street this morning. The only change to the muzzleloader regs was to do away with the bullet length/jacketed bullet restriction and replace it with:

It is illegal to:
Hunt with or have in possession while
hunting, sabots or bullets with plastic or
synthetic parts. Cloth, paper or felt patches
are allowed.

For the OP, open ignition is still required and 209 primers are still not allowed.

Doing away with the bullet length restriction means faster twist barrels are more practical now. Break out the Gibbs.

Last Edited:
Follow up. Oregon 2019 Big Game Regs hit the street this morning. The only change to the muzzleloader regs was to do away with the bullet length/jacketed bullet restriction and replace it with:

It is illegal to:
Hunt with or have in possession while
hunting, sabots or bullets with plastic or
synthetic parts. Cloth, paper or felt patches
are allowed.

For the OP, open ignition is still required and 209 primers are still not allowed.

Doing away with the bullet length restriction means faster twist barrels are more practical now. Break out the Gibbs.

I don't much care for the changes. I read that wrong! Longer bullets are fine. I read that those items were legal, not illegal.

Last Edited:
Not in Oregon. Those are smokeless powder rifles.

Well, my BP collection seems to be growing. I recently purchased a Traditions Vortek Northwest Magnum from my daughter. It was for sale here for a while. After a potential buyer pointing out several bad reviews about misfires I took a really close look at this and its apparent where the issue lies. Seems to be an easy fix, for me anyway. OTOH they've been said, in those same reviews to be very accurate. I guess its all mute from a hunting standpoint anyway if inlines arent legal to hunt with. Not a big deal, I can always bust out the Hawken or Staghorn.

Well, my BP collection seems to be growing. I recently purchased a Traditions Vortek Northwest Magnum from my daughter. It was for sale here for a while. After a potential buyer pointing out several bad reviews about misfires I took a really close look at this and its apparent where the issue lies. Seems to be an easy fix, for me anyway. OTOH they've been said, in those same reviews to be very accurate. I guess its all mute from a hunting standpoint anyway if inlines arent legal to hunt with. Not a big deal, I can always bust out the Hawken or Staghorn.

They are legal if the Cap is exposed.

I guess its all mute from a hunting standpoint anyway if inlines arent legal to hunt with. Not a big deal, I can always bust out the Hawken or Staghorn.

Actually READ the Oregon hunting regs and DO NOT GO BY WHAT PEOPLE SAY ON THIS FORUM!

From the current Oregon hunting regs:

"Muzzleloader" is any single barreled (shotguns may be double barreled) long gun meant to be fired from the shoulder and loaded from the muzzle with an open ignition system and open or peep sights. This includes: open ignition in-line percussion; sidelock, under-hammer, top-hammer and mule ear percussion; sidelock flintlock and wheelock ignition systems. Matchlock ignition systems are not allowed.

Cool. I have enough balls cast up to make a day at the range with my Hallecks and the fixed Vortek !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May as well take the Staghorn and Hawken and really wear the arm out. Then of course spend the evening cleaning them all out. I found a great deal on 2 pounds of Goex.

Actually READ the Oregon hunting regs and DO NOT GO BY WHAT PEOPLE SAY ON THIS FORUM!

From the current Oregon hunting regs:

Thank you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads