JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having had only one milsurp 7.62x51 bolt gun, I've stocked a bit of Federal Lake City LC80 for it. But I've got an M1A coming and I'd like to expand my ammo selection.

First, what would your thoughts be on an effective elk or bear round?

What ammo/s compares to the Lake City in quality. *If any.

What are your thoughts for an anti-personnel round?

Same thing for range fodder?

Thank you folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only opinion I happen to have is on range ammo.

Pretty much anything brass cased, costing around $.55/round at the moment should be good. Sometimes a little less, but surprisingly not much less, for berdan primed non-reloadable.

Hertenberger 7.62, as an example of a pretty darned decent range round. But alas, probably 90+% of it found nowadays in the market is berdan primed. Still pretty decent tho.

PPU (Priv Partisan) M80 ball 7.62 is also pretty decent, boxer primed and reloadable.

I bought some 147gr Federal M80 and Prvi Partizan 145gr M80 rounds as well. I have not given a thought for HD or hunting so. I will grab my AR.

Your standard M-80 will do well for most every thing EXCEPT ethical game harvesting! 165gr Rem.Cor loked always work, and are plentiful and cheap! If you hand load, it opens all sorts of options to you!

For SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, any thing you can get to fit the chamber and actually fire is the right stuff, and lots and lots of 140 round battle pack M-80 is the stuff to rat hole!:D

If ya give us specs on that Bolty, especially rate of twist, we can come up with good factory fodder to play with and see what the rifle likes, I would use the Bolty for hunting, and the Semi for fightin!:cool:

Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Preferably the same loading from the same manufacture to reduce POI shifts.

Otherwise you will need to keep a dope chart with the zero for each offering if you are switching between weights and brands.

If ya have a Bi-Mart round your A.O. you can pick up some of the Winchester silver box 150 Gr Ballistic tip for around .70 cents a piece, but you gotta watch the sales! They also have the Fed, blue box 165 gr for almost the same price!

Excellent.
I usually buy in case lots, so that's the plan here as well. For shtf purposes my choice will probably be the LC80.

I don't need match ammo, just a good hunting round.

Thanks for all the input.

As mentioned, Hirtenberger is mostly berdan, but I have been able to find it boxer at Military Shooters before. But, then you said you don't reload .308, so you might just not care. I can attest to 1975 and 1980 stuff firing out of both a bare-bones Springfield M1A and a primo LRB M14SA just fine. Many others on M14forum also swear by Hirt. I typically go with SGAmmo, but they're out of it it looks like (other places tend to have it, but it's getting rarer than it used to be).

MEN (modern - not the demilled AM2030 stuff that I got one time) seems to run good.

I'll second others on here that have brought up PPU as well. The PPU ammo can or battle packs are good (and both are good for stowing)...

500 Round Can:
500 Round Can - 7.62x51 M80 FMJ-BT 145 Grain Ammo By Prvi Partizan - PPN762MC | SGAmmo.com

5 battle packs (5x200) to geo-locate is a penny cheaper than the 500-round can:
1000 round case - 7.62x51 M80 FMJ BT 145 Grain Battle Pack Ammo by Prvi Partizan - PPN762BP | SGAmmo.com

Single 200 round battle pack is a bit more if you wanted to verify it runs good in your M1A first:
200 Round Battle Pack - 7.62x51 M80 FMJ BT 145 Grain Ammo by Prvi Partizan - PPN762BP | SGAmmo.com

Good luck with your M1A. I think you'll like it. A lot of good info on m14forum if you're wanting to learn more.

For economy and accuracy, I like the Federal 168 gr
200 round case - 7.62x51 Federal American Eagle M1A OTM Match 7.62 NATO Ammo - 308 Win A76251M1A | SGAmmo.com
Shoots almost as well as the Gold Medal Match, but at a decent discount.
For hunting, I really like the Federal Power-Shok blue box ammo, which in my experience is loaded a little warmer and more accurate than Remington Core-Lokt.
20 Round Box - 308 Win 150 Grain Soft Point Federal Power-Shok Hunting Ammo - 308A | SGAmmo.com
And a few months ago, BiMart had it on sale for just $13.97 a box with a rebate of $5 per box from Federal. Less than $9 per box was a steal!

Great stuff guys, thank you.

This rifle will replace one I had years ago. I liked it so much, I sold a DSA SA58 FAL to buy it at the time.

Hi, ....elk round...you want a heavy bonded bullet....best bet would be 150gr Nosler Partition. Gonna need to send it fast like 2800fps......
Or...the Barnes 150 GR TSX......super impressive.....kills like laser gun.
Use same for elk and bear

Factory federal gold medal match is about the best thing out there for ringing steel and target accuracy.....lookup army and navy load data for Sierra match king 175 GR.....that's a 1000 yard cartridge

....anti personnel round? Are you kidding. It's a .308 win....thats 2700 ft lbs of energy....kinda like a dump truck

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top