JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another thought, Why not go all the way up and get a nice .375 Holland and Holland? Same ballistics as the .30/06 out to about 700 yards, and bullets can be had in any weight and type you could ever need, from very mild recoil Deer rounds, all the way up to Monster African Sledge Hammer Loads that really hit HARD! One of the best and most versatile BIG GAME rifle/loads ever made! :)

About right

IMG_2333.JPG

Another thought, Why not go all the way up and get a nice .375 Holland and Holland? Same ballistics as the .30/06 out to about 700 yards, and bullets can be had in any weight and type you could ever need, from very mild recoil Deer rounds, all the way up to Monster African Sledge Hammer Loads that really hit HARD! One of the best and most versatile BIG GAME rifle/loads ever made! :)

I was gonna say 375 Ruger.

I'm kinda lost on the whole $5 a round thing.
But I'm not a long range shooter.

Shooting an elk at 1000 yds is a loooooong way to walk, then hike it back.
However, I guess if you can afford the rifle and ammo you can afford a nice UTV/ATV or horses to pack it.

I just hate spending that much on ammo, and something that is hard to find.

Of course I'm cheap, lazy, and poor.

I looked long and hard at that Ruger .375 especially a nice Carbing M77 Hawkeye, almost perfection, Almost! Sorta stuck with a propriety round being the big draw back to an other wise outstanding Combo!

I had a Hawkeye African for quite a while. Kinda wish I had it back, but honestly, I just didn't have a use for it.

Still wondering what the application is?

I want certain minimum energy levels at certain ranges. The application is hunting. I thought that would be pretty clear. Elk if I have to be specific. Rocky Mountain Elk. Big ones. Big bulls. Long ranges. Lots of knock down power.

I killed a 292" bull with a 300wm a few years back at just over 600 yds, but he did not drop right there. Even with good shot placement.

That is true. I'd bet they would still do the job.
That's the thing about target bullets.. sometimes they just pencil on through.. sometimes they don't.
If it was a 150lb human, heck.. swat 'em with whatever.. but we're talking elk here. And with a .30, I'd want to be particularly certain of terminal performance.
Speaking of which, youtube is full of people taking elk at crazy distances with .243/6mm guns very successfully.
Shot placement is key.. as is terminal performance.

That's the thing about target bullets.. sometimes they just pencil on through.. sometimes they don't.
If it was a 150lb human, heck.. swat 'em with whatever.. but we're talking elk here. And with a .30, I'd want to be particularly certain of terminal performance.
Speaking of which, youtube is full of people taking elk at crazy distances with .243/6mm guns very successfully.
Shot placement is key.. as is terminal performance.
That all sounds right to me, only thing I would add is that the terminal performance is more about penetration then expansion.

It seems that folks want to further and further from the game they wish to shoot. Once past 350-400 yards, it becomes a crap shoot if the animal falls over with one shot. Carried out to its most extreme end, a 155 field howitzer would do just fine for first shot kills using solid slugs. I watch the jokers on you-tube and wonder just what planet they are standing on. Hunt with a 35 Remington, it hammers everything it hits within 300 yards. Blood trails are easy to find, just turn the animal over and there it is. Is it hunting or just "shooting" were doing here?. Just saying,, now you can yell at me.

If that were true it'd logically be legal to hunt with FMJ's, no?
Yes, but in an absolute sense only of the people that make that policy were incapable of error. I'm going by the summary of an FBI report I coincidentally read last night, which seemed to make a lot of sense. Yes, it' about people, but they are tissue also. In that report expansion was found unimportant and basically it was about blood loss caused by permanent wound cavity and what organs were struck. I'm don't think anyone has irrefutable scientific proof, so I certainly would not insist you are wrong.

This could go on and on. I'll just say that with my Remington 700 (action only) everything else has been upgraded. I load 98.5 gns of H1000 for an average MV of 3148 FPS. 225 gn Hornady SST with BC of 413 if I remember correctly. Out of a 28 inch barrel this gets me an 8 inch group or less on a good day at 1000 yards. All for MUCH less than Lapua ammo. The brass is the only real difference and it's less than half the cost. I have brass that I have loaded ten times and it is still holding up but nearing the end of it's life. ELK! It's all about accuracy and energy!

It seems that folks want to further and further from the game they wish to shoot. Once past 350-400 yards, it becomes a crap shoot if the animal falls over with one shot. Carried out to its most extreme end, a 155 field howitzer would do just fine for first shot kills using solid slugs. I watch the jokers on you-tube and wonder just what planet they are standing on. Hunt with a 35 Remington, it hammers everything it hits within 300 yards. Blood trails are easy to find, just turn the animal over and there it is. Is it hunting or just "shooting" were doing here?. Just saying,, now you can yell at me.
I disagree! It's all about energy at range and bullet placement! If you can be accurate at 1000 yards with the needed energy do it!

This could go on and on. I'll just say that with my Remington 700 (action only) everything else has been upgraded. I load 98.5 gns of H1000 for an average MV of 3148 FPS. 225 gn Hornady SST with BC of 413 if I remember correctly. Out of a 28 inch barrel this gets me an 8 inch group or less on a good day at 1000 yards. All for MUCH less than Lapua ammo. The brass is the only real difference and it's less than half the cost. I have brass that I have loaded ten times and it is still holding up but nearing the end of it's life. ELK! It's all about accuracy and energy!
Sorry this is a 338 RUM

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top