JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you really want a long range money waster.. look no further then...

408-M200-Intervention.jpg

the M200

Not to start a war but I think 400 yards is too far . . . WAY TOO FAR!!!!

Sheldon

I agree with Sheldon. Hitting them at 200 yards they can still wander some distance. I think the average range for shooting Elk is about 150 yards or less. Shooting at 1000 years sounds like a remote probability at the .00001 level of change. 10 inch bull at 1000 yards at the range is one thing but in real life where a majestic animal life vs pain or suffering is at stake is Ugg! JMO

Shooting at 1000-1500 yards at bad guys in the middle east sands, who cares, if limbs of the bg are wasted. If a direct hit, great. Hitting game animals at that distance is well, to each his own. I would not want to cripple and animal. I have seen crippled animals in the field with limbs dangling and walking on three feet. An ugly sight because some idiot hunter was grossly poorly behaved and overly confident and poorly trained. Disgusting sight.

And for you so it is. Not for all though. That's what I am saying. I initially replied to this thread because someone asked a question regarding long range calibers and their effectiveness. This is exactly the kind of thing that Joe is constantly referring to that drives people away from a group like this. Division. So that said end of discussion for me!

Shooting at 1000-1500 yards at bad guys in the middle east sands, who cares, if limbs of the bg are wasted. If a direct hit, great. Hitting game animals at that distance is well, to each his own. I would not want to cripple and animal. I have seen crippled animals in the field with limbs dangling and walking on three feet. An ugly sight because some idiot hunter was grossly poorly behaved and overly confident and poorly trained. Disgusting sight.

And since the VAST majority of game animals are taken inside 200 yards, the VAST majority of those wounded animals were shot inside 200 yards as well. I get SO TIRED of hunters showing up at the range the day before the season opens, shooting 2-5 rounds, saying "Yep, still zeroed" and heading off to hunt. No practice, ever. How many of those guys wound their deer or elk and never recover it? I'll take the guy who spends hours and hours practicing and shoots at extended distance every time!

Not to start a war but I think 400 yards is too far . . . WAY TOO FAR!!!!

Sheldon

Sheldon, I agree with you on many things, but not this. Before I'd actually tried my rifle at 400 yards I would have likely agreed with you, though.
Assuming (we know how that is) that the shooter has some practice at longer ranges and as long as the animal was standing fairly still, I don't think that a 400 yard shot is unreasonable and I'd probably take it. While I sure as "heck" won't take a 1000 yard shot, others are capable.
Is this when I'm supposed to tell that I've never shot a deer or elk at a distance farther than 100 yards?:D

People that specialize at shooting game at long range are in another realm compared to 99% of hunters. They have thousands of dollars in their rifles and even more in their optics. They are meticulous handloaders who weigh and measure each bullet and case. Most importantly, they SHOOT. A LOT.
Is it unethical for your average guy who buys a Ruger American Rifle with a BSA scope and loads up with the same 150gr CoreLokts he has had for three seasons in his "ought-six" to lob bullets at game beyond 250 yards? Sure.

Man, I did not mean to start a war. If I did start one, I think I will stand on the side of the guys that shoot longer ranges. Safer for me as I know our opponents wont shoot at me beyond 400 yds!!! ;)

Anyway, I, as the OP, just wanted some other cartridge options, if they were out there, for a hard hitting and flat shooting 338. Or good and bad sides of the ones I listed.

This got derailed.

I can kill yote's on the move at 875-900 with the AWSM.

I've spent about $3k in ammo practicing shooting 5x5'' targets @1000- 1500 yard's.

I'm Pretty sure I could bulldoze an elk at 1000-1200 or further .

Only Elk I killed was about 50 yard's away though, With a G1 FAL.

awsm_zpsgpfk7zxb.jpg

Last Edited:
It's unethical to take a shot at an animal outside your ability, whether that's 50 yds or 1500 yds and there is no set distance that's "too far". People need to mind their own business and worry about themselves and leave those decisions to the individual making it.

There are more than a few guys out there that I would rather take a 1000 yd shot than the average schmuck take a 100 yd shot.

Oh boy,another pissy bytch thread about rooster size.
Are we in JR high?
JEEZZE YALL make us look like children
You are a fool for trying to shoot deer to r elk at 1000yds.
Too many variables for that shot.
I don't care how good a shot you are.

There's some "schmuk" that regularly takes antelope out to 12/1400 yards with a handgun.
Hey, don't take the shot unless you know you can do it.
I don't care who you think you are.

Just because you cant do it, doesnt mean others cant or shouldn't. I know a few guys that only hunt long range because its what they do all year long. They are better at 1000 than most are at 200 with a rifle or 40 with a bow.

You are looking at this issue from the wrong perspective.

It is not about the shooter's skill level. It is about having some respect for the animal.

Oh boy,another pissy bytch thread about rooster size.
Are we in JR high?
JEEZZE YALL make us look like children
You are a fool for trying to shoot deer to r elk at 1000yds.
Too many variables for that shot.
I don't care how good a shot you are.

That's the thing, some people have the data, equipment, knowledge and skill to take the variables out of it.

You are looking at this issue from the wrong perspective.

It is not about the shooter's skill level. It is about having some respect for the animal.

So, whats your arbitrary distance of respect? If its the ability make a clean shot, I stand by my previous statement. There are plenty of people who are more lethal at 1000 than most average Fudds are at 200.